Setting up a king mattress on a "platform"

I purchased a Charles P. Rogers 5000 king-sized mattress along with one of their platform beds. I also arranged for their delivery people to “set up” the bed, mattress and haul away the old “stuff” and packaging.

When they set up the platform bed, aside from the four “legs” which supported a platform base which held 4 “quarter” upholstered bases, there was also a support for the center which had two legs spaced about equally apart from each side and from top to bottom. All went smoothly and the people were polite and seemed quite capable and treated our home very respectfully.

When I went to try out the bed after they had left, I sort of plopped myself into the center and noticed a “thump”. I then went up and down on the bed and noticed that there were thumps with each motion. I looked under the bed and each of these two “extra” center legs was about 1/4-1/2" off the floor, so clearly the added weight when I got on the bed, or moved up and down on it was causing those center support legs to hit the floor.
When I called the sales rep at Charles P. Rogers, she told me that this was the way it was supposed to be (so that the legs would come into play to support the bed when there was weight on it.)

Quite frankly this explanation does not make any sense to me at all. I formerly had a king-sized mattress which was supported by two twin boxsprings on metal frames. While the frames themselves had just the 4 legs, the boxsprings provided a solid, stable platform for the mattress. It would seem to me that these two extra, middle support legs on the new platform bed should be extended to touch the floor (not higher than the 4 regular legs, but just at about the same level, or if slightly above the floor, no more than enough room for a piece of paper to slide through.) Otherwise the mattress will not be as fully supported in the center and over time the center will sag. In addition, the thumping during movement is both annoying and embarrassing ;>>)

What say you about how these legs are “normally” set up?? Your expertise and input is genuinely appreciated.

Hi SeattleSlew,

Congratulations on your new mattress and platform bed! :cheer:

[quote]When I went to try out the bed after they had left, I sort of plopped myself into the center and noticed a “thump”. I then went up and down on the bed and noticed that there were thumps with each motion. I looked under the bed and each of these two “extra” center legs was about 1/4-1/2" off the floor, so clearly the added weight when I got on the bed, or moved up and down on it was causing those center support legs to hit the floor.
When I called the sales rep at Charles P. Rogers, she told me that this was the way it was supposed to be (so that the legs would come into play to support the bed when there was weight on it.)[/quote]

I could see how this would be both concerning and annoying to you, as you mentioned. While I’m not personally familiar with all of the platform beds that Charles P. Rogers offers, I can make some general comments for you.

First of all, it is important that the surface upon which your mattress is placed be flat and firm. I would first check the alignment in the center of the platform bed with the mattress off of the base, and then compare that when weight is applied and the legs come in contact with the floor. I would check all of this when the mattress is off of the base. You can apply weight to the center of the base by having someone lie down upon the base itself to “press” the legs into the floor. I would check that the platform bed base is level when weight is applied to the base. If it is dipping in the center when weight is applied to it, you’d want to address that with something under the legs, or install something like T-nuts with threaded glides under the legs (I’m a little surprised that these center legs don’t have something like this installed in them already). If it is level when weight is applied to the base in the center, then this would be appropriate for the mattress when in use, and would mean that the platform base would have a slight bow (convex) in the center when not in use of when someone isn’t laying directly upon the center of the mattress. If this is the case, the base may “flatten out” a bit over time so that there is not the “thump” that is annoying to you.

I would take the measurements I described above and see where you are with the product, and at that point decide how to most appropriately proceed. Hopefully it is something that will “settle out” with a bit of use, as I would agree that you don’t want to hear a “thump” for the next decade every time you move to the center of the mattress :ohmy: .

Phoenix

As always, you have posted a prompt and highly thoughtful response. Neither my wife nor myself (nor the two of us together) can actually move the mattress (we are septuagenarians). When I lie on the floor when no one is on the bed, I can see the space and actually have been able to slide an exercise mat under it, so I know that it is about 1/2" or more. We also slept on it and the center legs left imprints on the exercise mat so I know it is flexing down with weight. What I don’t understand is why those two legs shouldn’t be just at or the slightest bit above (but not 1/2"), (like by a card-stock thickness). I certainly can understand why those two legs should not be higher than the 4 corners, but also don’t understand why they should just be about the same level.
Charles P. Rogers’ customer service has asked me to take a photo (not easy) and send it to them. They claim those legs should be 1/2" of the ground which sounds like B.S. and that they don’t want to send someone out for service.

Hi SeatleSlew,

Quite an appropriate name for Derby Day!

Yes, this is confusing to me as well. You’d desire a flat and firm surface, which should mean all of the legs having the same length, or at least the center post having an adjustable glide on the bottom. I don’t know if the design of the bed is such that there is a slight bow in the middle, which would necessitate that the center leg be a bit shorter as the bow flattends. If this was the case, you’d hope that this bow would settle as time goes on (and it would be an odd design).

I don’t know that it is “B.S.” or if inherent in the design, but either way it’s not something that is working out for you, so it’s something that you’d definitely want to have addressed. For now, I would place your exercise mat under the leg so it’s not so noisy when moving around during the night until they can fix this for you.

I’ll be interested in learning about anything you discover with this bed set and the resolution you eventually achieve.

Phoenix