SF Cirrus Supreme vs. BB Pure Cool Surpreme

I’m very close to making a final decision on my new mattress, but can’t quite get there. I recently tested the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and the Cloud Luxe, and loved the Supreme and felt the Luxe was too soft. So, I’ve zeroed in on the comparable Cirrus Supreme ES-11 from Select Foam and the Pure Cool Supreme from Brooklyn Bedding. I noticed that the SF mattress has 2" of 4lb gel memory foam over 2" of 5.3 lb gelfoam support layer. The BB mattress has 1.5" of 5 lb memory foam over 3" of 4lb gel memory foam. Would the 5lb over the 4lb provide a different feel than the 4lb over the 5lb?

A quick tangent - I found the Mattress Underground (so happy I did!!!) while I was researching the Casper Mattress, and I decided that the 3" inches total in the comfort layers wasn’t enough for me as a heavier person. But I’m still intrigued by latex - I just have never tried it. I don’t know what I could try out locally, since it’s not like the memory foam mattresses that compare themselves to Tempurpedics. Should I make an effort to try latex before I make a final decision? Or does the fact that I did like the Cloud Supreme suggest that I’ll be happier with memory foam than latex?

Thanks!

Hi CCoffey,

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but there are hundreds of different types of memory foam formulations made by many foam manufacturers that can each have very different firmness levels or properties from each other even if they are exactly the same density (see post #9 here and post #8 here) so it’s not possible to predict how a mattress will feel based on knowing the density of the memory foam or based on the specs of any of the individual layers because there are too many different versions of memory foam in every density and there are too many variables to take into account that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress “as a whole”.

Because of all the variables involved … the only way to know for certain how all the layers and components interact together with any particular person and how a mattress will feel for you or how closely it will “match” another mattress in terms of PPP with any certainty is based on your own personal experience when you either test it in person or sleep on it.

I would keep in mind that while the Casper mattress has a thin layer of latex in its design … it’s only 1.5" so it’s not really a latex mattress or even a latex hybrid because the “feel” of the comfort layers would be a combination of the feel of synthetic latex and the 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam that is underneath it in combination with the smaller effect of the “feel” of the polyfoam support layers underneath both so testing a latex or a latex hybrid mattress that doesn’t include memory foam may not be very comparable. Even a mattress that used the top two layers in the reverse order but was otherwise the same would feel very different. I would also keep in mind that the actual thickness of the individual comfort layers isn’t all that determines the depth of the pressure relieving cradle in a mattress and it isn’t as important as how the mattress feels and responds “as a whole” in terms of PPP. Again … every layer of a mattress will have some effect on the layers above and below it so even changing the firmness of a support core under 3" of comfort layers would make a difference in how the mattress feels in terms of pressure relief and support. For some people (particularly in higher weight ranges) the compression of upper part of the deeper and firmer base layer would effectively become part of the “comfort layers” even though it’s not a separate layer by itself (see post #2 here).

Specs are great to help identify any weak links in a mattress but they are not a good way to predict how a mattress will feel or perform for any specific person and even the most experienced mattress designers that are very familiar with a very wide range of different materials and combinations of materials will often be surprised at how a mattress “feels” in real life compared to how they thought it would feel based on specs or “theory”.

Local testing can tell you more about the general “feel” of different types of latex compared to other types of latex or compared to other materials such as memory foam so you can decide on which materials or combinations you tend to prefer in general terms but there are so many versions of each type of material and so many different mattress designs in each mattress category that even though local testing would give you a good sense of the general characteristics of different materials and combinations … it may not tell you much about how a specific mattress will feel unless a mattress you test is close to identical with another mattress you are considering in their design and the thickness, type, and firmness levels of all the layers and components inside it (including the cover) which isn’t very likely or someone that is familiar with both (such as a manufacturer or retailer that you are considering) can tell you how they compare “as a whole” based on their personal experience.

Once you are down to finalists that are between “good and good” and there are no weak links in any of them and no clear winners between them … then any of them would probably make a suitable choice and your final choice (see post #2 here) will really be a matter of “informed best judgement” based on your testing experiences or conversations with each of them along with all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Just when I thought I was getting close to making a decision and was sure I wanted the memory foam, the tables have turned. I visited the Healthy Back store yesterday to try out some latex mattresses. They had two Healthy Back Bliss models - the Elegance and the Essence. My first thought was that both were too soft, and I went back over to the other side of the store and tried the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme again, just to reinforce that that was the type I wanted. But last night I kept thinking about the latex and decided to go back and try again. This time I fell in love with both of them, especially the softer Elegance. Talk about cloud like! It felt cushy and enveloping, and yet it was easy to bounce right out of which was a great feeling. I’ve waffled between two very different mattresses in the space of two days, so now I’m even more confused. I really didn’t want to spend $3500 on a mattress, though, and I’m not sure how to translate the HBB specs to something relatively similar in one of the less expensive options like Sleep EZ (or ?), or whether I should suck it up and spend the money. Thanks for all the information and food for thought.

(Wasn’t sure whether to make this a new topic since I’m still kind of in the same “story”)

Hi CCoffey,

It’s probably better to keep it in this topic so it’s easier to refer back to your previous posts.

The Elegance has the same specs as the Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful and the Essence has the same specs as the Pure Latex Bliss Nature and you can see the details of them both of them in post #2 here so you can make some comparisons with the specs of other mattresses.

The Beautiful has a 3" layer of 15 ILD Talalay over a 3" layer of 24 ILD Talalay which would be in a very soft range and while this may feel great in a showroom … it would also have some risk of being too soft for some people to provide good alignment over the course of the night (alignment issues tend to show up when you wake up in the morning or after sleeping for a few hours). If you had a mattress with 9" of latex that were similar to the bottom 9" of the Beautiful then you could add a 3" soft Talalay latex topper (14 - 15 ILD) to “approximate” the Beautiful although it would still be a little different because the cover of your mattress would be in between the top layer of the mattress and the topper (which would affect how they feel) and a topper outside the cover will also feel different from having the same layer inside the cover (see posts #3 and #4 here and this topic).

If you did decide to consider purchasing the Beautiful (or the Nature because it can be less risky to choose a mattress that is a little too firm than a mattress that is too soft) then post #32 here includes several retailers that sell the PLB mattresses online that would also be well worth talking to so you can make some good “value” comparisons for the same mattress (PLB has MAP or miinimum advertised pricing that doesn’t allow retailers to list their selling price if it’s lower than the MAP price.

I can’t really help with the choice between memory foam and latex since this is a preference issue that each person needs to decide for themselves but there is more about the pros and cons of each in post #6 here.

Phoenix

This is very helpful, thank you, Phoenix!
I hope this will be my last pre-decision question: Would it be worth it to wait until next week to buy something? Do mattress companies tend to have Black Friday sales?

Thanks again!

Hi CCoffey,

There is really no way for me to know this because it would depend on which retailer you were talking about. Some would and some like Matt-To-Go (that tend to offer their “best” prices every day of the year) wouldn’t. The only way to know would be to talk with each retailer you were considering and ask them individually or ask them whether they will “match” their Black Friday prices after a purchase if they do go on sale.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=45388]

The Beautiful has a 3" layer of 15 ILD Talalay over a 3" layer of 24 ILD Talalay which would be in a very soft range

Phoenix[/quote]

Phoenix… aren’t those the 2012 specs on the Beautiful? I thought the current specs show 21 ILD over 24 ILD?

Hi scubamom,

No … they are the current specs. This was an issue that came up a few months ago and there were many people that believed it was 21 ILD (and others that believed it was 15 ILD) but I confirmed that it was 15 (see here).

All the current PLB specs are here.

Phoenix

[[quote=“Phoenix”]
The Beautiful has a 3" layer of 15 ILD Talalay over a 3" layer of 24 ILD Talalay which would be in a very soft range and while this may feel great in a showroom … it would also have some risk of being too soft for some people to provide good alignment over the course of the night (alignment issues tend to show up when you wake up in the morning or after sleeping for a few hours). If you had a mattress with 9" of latex that were similar to the bottom 9" of the Beautiful then you could add a 3" soft Talalay latex topper (14 - 15 ILD) to “approximate” the Beautiful although it would still be a little different because the cover of your mattress would be in between the top layer of the mattress and the topper (which would affect how they feel) and a topper outside the cover will also feel different from having the same layer inside the cover
[/quote]

I just ordered a mattress from SleepEZ. I got the Select Sleep 9,000 with a M/F/F configuration and then also a topper for the extra softness I want. I got the sale price in addition to the MU discount, so that’s really nice. I am SO glad I found this site and want to thank you once again for all the help. I’m really excited and can’t wait to try my new mattress!

Hi CCoffey,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

My mattress arrived on Tuesday so I’ve now had two nights on it. So far, I’m really happy with it but will give it a few days before I write very much about it. Just to summarize, I got the SleepEZ 9000, with a medium layer on top of two firm layers. I also got a soft topper because from my experience testing the Healthy Back Bliss mattresses, I really liked the softness in addition to needing the support. I think one of the questions I’ll be trying to answer over the next couple of weeks is did I overestimate my desire for softness? There is no doubt that it feels good to me now.

One of the things I want to mention is that assembling a multi-layer mattress is really not a one-person job, at least for a queen size and surely a king as well . I managed it, but it was a little difficult just to get things placed appropriately. The task itself is simple - it just needs more than two hands to accomplish easily. As luck would have it, my new headboard and bed frame arrived the same day, so I put those together by myself too. it was a long evening, and by the end of it, my back was killing me. Sleeping for the past couple of months has been difficult due to back pain. So I wasn’t expecting to sleep one night on this new mattress and experience a miracle recovery. However, I can say that as soon as I lay down on the mattress for the first time, I could feel the relief in my back. Yes the mattress was very soft, but I could really feel the support as well. I felt perfectly cradled and enveloped - and yet it was easy to spring right out of the bed. One of my initial thoughts was - I knew my old mattress was bad, but now I realize how very bad it was! I slept better that first night, and last night, than I have in weeks. I also woke up feeling much better than I have in weeks. I think it will take a few days at least to work the kinks out of my back, but there is definite improvement.

The last think I wanted to mention is that the foundation I got is one of those metal frames with the wires from top to bottom. I put some pegboard on top of that, so that there would be a somewhat solid base but the mattress would still be able to breathe.

I can’t wait to go to bed tonight!

Hi CCoffey,

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial feedback … and it’s great to see that your choice is working out so well for you :slight_smile:

I also agree that assembling a latex mattress is much easier as a two person job!

Phoenix

A couple of months down the road, I’ve made some changes. The soft topper wasn’t working for me after all - I was having some back pain in the morning. I called SleepEZ and talked to Jeremy. He suggested taking the topper out of its cover and putting it inside the mattress cover, and then taking one of the firm layers out of the mattress and putting it in the former topper cover, and then putting that under the mattress, sort of as a foundation (which would be on top of a metal grid foundation topped with pegboard). Way too much trouble for me to handle by myself. I did take the topper out of its cover and put it inside the mattress cover, but instead of taking out one of the 3 inch firm layers, I took out the 2 inch medium layer that was on top - and put that layer in the old topper cover. Luckily,the mattress cover, which was designed for two 3 inch layers and one 2 inch layer, easily accommodated the extra inch. I also think it looks and feels better being a little fuller. So now I have a mattress with 2 firm layers and 1 soft layer, and I’ve set the medium layer aside for now. I love my current configuration. It feels great and no more back pain. The only problem is I have no place to store the 2 inch medium layer. This weekend I’ll have help available - I can put it under the mattress, as Jeremy suggested I do with the firm layer. I just don’t want it to change the way my mattress feels. It doesn’t seem likely that it would to any significant degree, but I don’t know! Would love some feedback about this. I hope it makes sense; it’s a little convoluted, I know.

Thanks!
Claire

Hi Ccoffey,

Thanks for the update … and I’m glad that you were able to change your configuration to something that works well for you :).

Putting the 2" medium layer under your mattress should be fine. In theory it would make the mattress a little bit softer but with only 2" and being on the bottom of the mattress it probably won’t make a great deal of difference although different people may be more or less sensitive to changes in configuration so the only way to really know for sure how it would affect you would be based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix