sheets and covers - cotton vs bamboo ?

first i need to make one thing very clear - i don’t care about saving the earth - it was here 4 billion years before us - it survived meteorite impacts and ice ages and this 5972000000000000000000 ton ball of boiling rocks will be here long after we’re gone. i’m not going to get into Thomas Malthus, Charles Galton Darwin, Agenda 21 and various global societies and foundations which conceived, developed and are administering the “greening” agenda because if i did Phoenix would ban me. suffice it to say - i ( being as polite as i can be now ) * do not care * about whether bamboo is more “sustainable” than cotton. and if you care ? got bless you - you are better than i am.

now …

i just want to know which fiber PERFORMS better ?

i’m looking for a material that is soft, stretchy, absorbent, durable, will not leach toxins into my skin when i lay on it and is not going to smell after absorbing my sweat.

but why am i even listing these things - i don’t know what i need - if i knew i wouldn’t be asking this question ! i’m sure there are some considerations i have never thought about and i would love for you Phoenix to tell us about them.

i have already ordered SnugFleece elite and i intend to use it - and the mattress cover that i am looking for should protect the wool while also allowing the feel of the fleece to come through both the cover and the sheets - this is why really it is so critical - because it has to be highly protective and also highly “transparent” feeling at the same time.

the only thing it needs to protect from though is sweat …

if there is any other material like silk worth considering i will consider it.

i know there has been a thread about sheets somewhere on here and if it has information i need to see i would gladly read it - here i was more specifically asking about cotton vs bamboo but by all means if these are not the only choices i should be looking at let me know and i will go like a slave and read what you command me to read !

anyway Phoenix you are the best ! just because i don’t always agree with what you say doesn’t mean i don’t highly value your opinion !

I am also interested in what Phoenix and others might have to say about the best fabrics for mattress covers (or sheets for that matter.)

I have a 100% cotton cover on a my mattress, which is great for breathability. I wish more there were more all-cotton mattress and topper covers on the market, but they seem to be in the minority right now.

It’s true that there are a lot of toxic chemicals used in the production of bamboo fabric, but it might also be a great fabric in terms of performance only. I’ve read that a lot of bamboo fabric is Oeko Tex certified, so the finished fabric wouldn’t actually contain these toxins - I hope!

Hi g1981c and dahliaM,

Post #26 here along with post #7 here has a lot of information and links to many resources about sheets and different fabrics (including some links which compare cotton and bamboo)

Phoenix

hm … wish it was possible to buy just a fitted sheet, and not a whole set of sheets …

on second thought i’ll just go for the set …

well then Phoenix, how does this look:

brielle modal jersey sheets: Amazon.com

suite sleep cover: Organic Cotton Knit Mattress Protector by Suite Sleep

and these two will go on top of SnugFleece Elite which already shipped.

what do you say ? does this dound like a good plan ? any suggestions ?

ps: i would order the suite sleep direct from their own site because it is a lot cheaper than from Amazon ?

Hi g1981c,

These are all preference choices so if you are comfortable with the idea of modal (and there are many who are including Sleep1 here) and with jersey knit (stretchy like a T shirt) and with the quality and value of what you are buying (based on the conversations you have had with the retailers or manufacturers you are considering, their knowledge of their products, and your comparisons with other similar products) then nobody else can decide if these are good choices for you but you.

Phoenix

well i want to try the Modal. i saw those walmart sheets - the price is incredible, and the reviews are good, but they are 70% modal 30% cotton and Amazon ones are 100% modal for about $30 more so i went with Amazon, in “ivory” color, which is basically beige.

i was tempted by 100% tencel jersey knit sheets from bed bath & beyond but the reviews scared me away - they were quite mixed