Sheets too big for mattresses

Got an old 10" mattress. Got new sheets for it a while back and noticed the fitted sheet looked real baggy on the mattress. Yes, I got the correct sheets for the mattress size.

Anyways, kept having a problem with one of the corners of the fitted sheet popping loose.

I was in a store recently looking at sheet sets and notice it saying “fits mattresses up to 17 inches”. So that’s when I realized the problem is these sheets nowadays are made for super thick mattresses I’ve never even seen. Some sheets even go to 18 inch thick mattresses.

I went to the usual bedding stores and notice alot of sheet sets were for super thick mattresses.

Know of any inexpensive sheet sets that are for regular mattress sizes i.e. 12 inches? Looking for all poly for poly/cotton blend.

Hi jasonsmith,

I’m certainly no expert on bedding and I don’t keep track of pricing or sources for sheets but post #3 here may be of some help.

Hopefully some of the other forum members may have some suggestions as well.

Phoenix

We searched for new sheets for our 10" and 11" mattresses for a few weeks until we found these on sale at Sears. Excellent price and choice of colors, Cannon 300 thread cotton percale weave, and wrinkle free MXL Technology. They may not be exactly what you are looking for since they are 100% cotton. Description says they fit mattresses up to 17" deep but we have not had any problems with the fitted sheet coming off or bunching up on our 10" mattress.
When we purchased them they had a 10% off coupon code and free shipping. Currently you can use the code SEARS5OFF50 to get $5. off purchases over $50. and free shipping over $59. You also have the option to have it shipped free to a Sears store.
If you have a Discover card you can also get an additional 10% off by linking to Sears through ShopDiscover on Discovercard’s website.

I don’t like 100% cotton sheets. Too wrinkly. Threw the last 100% cotton set in the trash.

Hi jasonsmith
I am new to forum. I know I should MYOB, but your reply to BobP could have been a thank you for trying to help.I am sure we are all shook up about you having to trash your cotton sheets. I know I am.

You could just get flat sheets instead of fitted. Maybe a size bigger than your mattress, so you have a lot of sheet to tuck in. I’m coming to the conclusion that fitted sheets are more of a pain than they’re worth.

I’ll probably stick with my current sheets for the new mattress and keep an eye out for the small pocket poly/cotton sheets. I’ve never heard of a 17" thick mattress, so don’t know why everyone makes the sheets for that thick of a mattress.

But the new mattress will be a couple of inches thicker, so will see how the current sheets work on that.

I’m getting allergy/bed bugs encasements for the mattress and box spring. Was going to get bed skirt pins to pin the bed skirt to box spring, but now figured with a box spring cover that that would not make it bed bug proof.

Seems like if sheets aren’t too big they’re too small. I always sew a piece of elastic across the bottom at each corner so I can hook it under the mattress so it stays put.

They make elastic clips that you can clip onto the corners of the sheet to add tension at the corners.

Anyone know a good trick to keep the box spring skirt in place when rotating a mattress? Was going to get pins, but don’t want to poke holes in the encasement cover I’ll be putting on the box spring just incase of bed bugs or something.

I found these. They are microfiber which is generally poly. And looks like they are for 12" thick mattresses, which is the same as the new mattress I’m getting. The other reason why I like the poly or poly/cotton, is less lint sticks to poly than 100% cotton.

www.walmart.com/ip/Somerset-Home-Series-1200-Microfiber-Sheet-Set/27534432

Hi jasonsmith,

There are many versions of microfiber but in this case they are 100% polyester. Their biggest benefit of polyester sheets is that they are very inexpensive but they are also not the best performing fabric for sheets.

Phoenix

JS,
We purchased a set of cheap microfiber sheets from Target a few years ago to try them out. They were also 1200 something. This can’t be thread count because they were 100% polyester. It was like sleeping on a cheap 1970’s leisure suit. They were thin, slept hot, and full of pills (small hard bumps) and small tears after a few washes.

But hey, maybe they have improved since then and you will have better luck with yours.

BobP

A couple more, these are at Sears. And one set looks like they sell in the store:

http://www.sears.com/colormate-microfiber-sheet-set/p-096VA56486212P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

http://www.sears.com/micro-splendor-solid-micro-splendor-85-grams-full/p-09623418000P#desc