Sheets

I didnā€™t consider silk at all because I prefer the feel of cotton or linen. Phoenix says more about silk below.

Hi pvanheuklom,

After doing some research today, I found www.linoto.com. They can make custom sheet from 100% Belgian linen made from Libeco for $489.99 for a King size sheet set (Flat, Fitted, and 2 pillows). The owner said that this Libeco linen fabric is better than Libeco house lines like the Vence and Santiago. Check them outā€¦ I am still trying to make a final decision.

http://www.linoto.com/Linoto-com-Eco-Linen-Sheet-Sets-s/41.htm

I can only speak for myself, but I love the texture and softness after only one washing. I understand linen gets even softer with more washings and over time. To me, the linen feels lighter yet warmer to the touch than cotton. Itā€™s more breathable, too, and wicks away moisture better than cotton for more comfortable sleepā€“at least thatā€™s my impression.

I looked at Linoto and went with Didriks only because they offered more color options. Both are selling 100% Belgian linen from Libeco, so if color isnā€™t a concern you canā€™t go wrong either way. I think ā€œEcoā€ is probably just a marketing term. Both sheets are eco-friendly.

Iā€™m curious what needs customizing. Why not just get the standard sizes?

On the Linoto website, the color of the natural linen looked like a silver color. After getting some actual photos from the owner, the color is more taupe with a slight silvery tone. The taupe color is a perfect match for my comforter. So, I am strongly considering Linoto and would be saving about $60 dollarsā€¦

The company buys the fabric from Libeco and makes the sheet per orderā€¦ That is the custom partā€¦

I raise my eyebrows when someone says their 100% Belgian linen from Libeco is better than someone elseā€™s 100% Belgian linen from Libeco. On what basis does he make this claim?

You have a point thereā€¦ Based on my conversation with the owner, he seems very trustworthy, but I have no way of comparing apple to appleā€¦

Ah, I wouldnā€™t really consider that customization unless they are altering sizes, weights or colors. The sheets from Didriks, I believe, are woven on looms in Belgium. Each one comes with a certificate of origin. I take some comfort in knowing Libeco has over a hundred yearsā€™ experience.

[quote=ā€œpvanheuklomā€ post=14584]
I looked at Linoto and went with Didriks only because they offered more color options. [/quote]
I read today that dyed linen sheets may be a bit less durable than ā€œnaturalā€ colored linen because the outer coating of the flax must be chemically softened in order to accept the dye. Also apparently you cannot use any laundry detergent that contains optical brighteners (most of them) because it will cause the sheets to fade and spot. Just thought Iā€™d pass on this info in case itā€™s important to you. I do like to do my research and am still deciding between linen and silkā€¦
:slight_smile:

Please do a review when you get your sheets. Iā€™d love to hear your feedback. I am a little concerned the linen will be too rough.

Based on my conversation with the owner, they get the raw fabric then cut the fabric to size and then hem it. They have a shop in New York that makes the sheetsā€¦

I would have no reason to doubt his trustworthiness. Since the linen is probably the same, the only variable is where itā€™s finished. You might want to have a look at this page on the Didriks site: http://www.belgian-linen.com/belgian-linen-production-process.html

What catches my attention is this line: Linen is a specialty in Belgium and finishers train for a lifetime. Certain qualities of Belgian linen need up to 15 different types of processes to achieve the amazing hand of Belgian linen.

Good point. I use Woolite, which the Didriks site recommends. They also recommend airing them out in the sunlight once in awhile.

Sorry to bring an old topic back, but I also need to replace my cotton sheet (400 TC combed)

They lasted for nearly 7 years, so I guess they was good quality.

Any feedback on those linen sheet? Do they worth for those who got them? Are they soft? I have a shirt in linen itā€™s always a bit rougher then cotton.

Thanks!

I have just started looking at linen sheets too, hmorneau. I might try out the Ikea linen duvet cover as a cheap way to see if I like the feel of linen before I spend more $$ā€¦

i have the Ikea, on my bed now actually. :D. I really like it for the price, but keep in mind itā€™s thicker and rougher than a nice set of linen sheets would be, but i really like mine. Even just feeling it in the store would give you a feel for whether you might like linens made out of linen. (iā€™m just remembering now, I saw on a bed in ikea under the linen duvet. lol) but even though itā€™s not a high quality, to have a linen duvet cover for $80 is so cool. And it looks just so pretty on the bed. (i donā€™t have nice linen sheets to give you a better comparison to though. WISH I DID! lol.

Thanks for the info about the linen cover from IKEA.

I think itā€™s maybe a good buy since itā€™s not directly in contact with our skin (like bedding sheet).

So far the price I saw is the white set on sale at $259 at http://www.linoto.com/

Not sure if itā€™s the best quality. Any feedback on linoto?

I went to IKEA to check their cover in linen, and itā€™s not what Iā€™m looking for, itā€™s pretty cheap and looks cheap as well. Probably better to invest more.