Sheraton Sweet Sleeper

Okay, so let me just say that this information is very overwhelming and my head is spinning. :unsure: While I am super grateful just to have the knowledge that the basic run-off- mill mattress stores are rip-offs, I just don’t want to have to work so hard to purchase a good mattress…and who has the time!!! I am hoping to take the easy way out with a little help from Mr. Phoenix and/or someone else viewing this forum.

Here is my story:

I wake up every morning feeling like I’ve been run over by a truck. I start out on my side but always end up waking up on my back, which leads to snoring and I also wake up with a sore throat (due to the aforementioned snoring). I recently went out of town and stayed at a Sheraton Hotel where I slept on a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper. I felt great after waking up both nights, but did not realize it until I got home and slept on my mattress, which apparently is a piece of crap, because I woke up again feeling like I’d been run over by a truck! Anyway, I did some research and discovered that the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper is actually a Sealy Sweet Sleeper. I called Sealy and of course they refused to tell me where I could buy it other than directly from Sheraton. Even a mattress novice like me knows that the price probably has a 200% markup on it! With further research, I was able to determine that it is a Level E Posturepedic in Plush, and that is what I should ask for when I go to a store. So, more research landed me on this site, which has lead me to feel so overwhelmed and lost. I just want to wake up with the feeling I had from sleeping on that mattress. One more thing – I also found out that while this bed starts out feeling great, it wears within a few years.

My questions:

1. Does anyone know of a quality mattress comparable to or better than Sealy’s Sweet Sleeper that will last for 10 years?

2. If so, where can I find it?

I am greatful for whatever anyone can offer!! :slight_smile:

Hi cassy13,

Unfortunately there is no way to know which mattress would “feel” comparable to you or would be comparable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) outside of your own personal testing and experience. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict how any mattress will “feel” for you or how it will compare to another mattress based on “specs” or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that you can use to compare different mattresses in terms of suitability (PPP), durability, and value based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you but since Sealy isn’t transparent about the type or quality of the materials they use there really isn’t any way to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. In most cases … I would tend to avoid the major manufacturers or any mattress that uses too much lower quality or unknown materials relative to their price range (see the guidelines here) and this isn’t a mattress that I would use as a “target” to find something comparable because the bar you are setting is much too low.

The best way to find a mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms or suitability, quality/durability, and value is to follow the steps in the mattress shopping tutorial one at a time which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Once you are at step 3 … if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

In most cases … the knowledge, experience, and transparency of the retailer or manufacturer that you choose to deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Phoenix

Okay Phoenix - no easy way to do this! Thank you so much for your response. I will do my reading and research (UGH)!!) and report back with several options. At least I was able to find a list of places in my area (Washington, D.C.) to start. If anyone out there has been to a great place where the staff is knowledgeable, please let me know!

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Hi cassy13,

Hopefully the post you found was post #2 here. I included some comments about many of the options on the list.

Phoenix

Okay so I did my reading. I visited the Healthy Back store to try out mattress and fell in love with the Embrace Comfort mattress. I was surprised because I thought after all of the reading I’d done and how much you talk about the quality of the latex matress that that is what I would go with. However, I did not care for the latex mattress at all. Anyway, I won’t give you the stats, return policy and warranty on the embrace Comfort becaue it appears that you already have them.

Questions:

1. Is there a comparable bed that would be lower in price.- I would be paying $2100 for the mattress and base

2. I was told that if I got the mattress only that is would compromise the feel of the mattress - is this true?

Also, this mattress is about $300 cheaper online so I will be speaking to the store about matching the price.Though I suspect that the online order does not come with free setup, but if I purchase it the store the setup will be free…

PS
I am in the Washington, DC area in Northern Virginia - 22206.

Hi cassy13,

This would depend on what you mean by “comparable” but there is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that help you to make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

In terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase … the Embrace Comfort wouldn’t be a mattress that other manufacturers would try to “match” because it isn’t widely available and isn’t popular enough so you would usually see more specific comparisons between smaller memory foam manufacturers and larger more well known brands that are more widely available. Other than this … the only way to know whether a mattress would be similar to you in terms of PPP, firmness, or “feel” would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

In terms of the quality of the materials … you can see the specs of the Embrace line and my comments about them in posts #9 and #10 here. There are certainly many other mattresses that use the same or higher density and more durable materials in their mattresses that are in lower budget ranges.

In terms of the the other parts of your personal value equation that may be important parts of “value” to you … that would depend on which mattress and which manufacturer or retailer you were considering because these will all vary widely from store to store and manufacturer to manufacturer.

If you are open to considering an online memory foam purchase then some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of are included in post #12 here. You can also use these as a reference for making value comparisons.

Other than these … the Washington, DC/Northern Virginia list I linked includes the better options I’m aware of in your area but I would need to know the specifics of any other mattresses you are considering at any of these to make any meaningful comments about them (see this article).

No this isn’t correct. Most memory foam mattresses do best with a rigid, non flexing, support system that is evenly supportive under the mattress and if another foundation, platform bed, or adustable bed you are considering also has a rigid, non flexing, and evenly supportive surface then it would be just as suitable and wouldn’t chance the feel of the mattress. The only type of support surface that will change how a mattress feels compared to a solid non flexing foundation is something like a box spring or a foundation that has flexible slats which provide some “give” under the mattress.

Having said that … there are some manufacturers that do require that you purchase one of their foundations as part of their warranty criteria but most warranties are valid with just a “suitable” foundation.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your previous response. I now see what you mean when you say that I might find a better quality mattress for less or equal to the healthy Back Embrace Comfort Bed.

I have narrowed my choice to the following. Would you steer me either way?

Brooklyn Bedding
11 inches
The Cool Supreme™ memory foam mattress consists of multiple layers (top->bottom): 4-way Stretch Cotton Mattress Cover, 1.5" 4lb Gel Memory Foam, 3" 5lb Memory Foam, 6.5" of 2.17lb BB HD Foam Core.

Rocky Mountain
Sundance 10 in.
• 3" of four pound Softcel Memory Foam
• 1.25" of Ultracel Convoluted Foam
• 5.75" of Ultracel Support Foam
• Ultracel mid-body Lumbar Support
• CoolMax by DuPont Smooth Cover
• Optional wood (southern yellow pine) foundation
• 10" mattress profile
•

Hi cassy13,

Both of these manufacturers are members of this site which means that I think highly of them and both use high quality materials so there would be no “weak links” in either of them in terms of durability. Once you are down to finalists that are choices between “good and good” that fit all your criteria and you are confident that both would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you are happy with the options you have after a purchase to exchange or return a mattress if you aren’t) and there are no clear winners between them, then your final choice will be a matter of “best judgement” based on your conversations with each of them and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (see post #2 here). In terms of their quality/value I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from either of them.

Phoenix

I have New Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Mattress sets in Full XL, Queen and King. (Hotel never installed them) Virtually New in Plastic.

If you are interested, Please Call me at (617) 319-3067.

–Christopher

Hi TC1.

Welcome to our mattress forum!

I have deleted your post because promotional posts or advertising aren’t allowed on the forum (see the mattress forum rules here). Please make sure you follow our rules if you wish to keep your posting privileges.

Phoenix

Hi there, I am reading EVEYTHING I can about how to replace the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper. My back pain level used to be 7-8 daily, after the sweet sleeper it went to 0-1 but now we are creating back up. This bed failed after just 4 months and each mattress they used to replace it has not been the same. Were you able to find a good replacement? Praying you say yes and share the mattress you got. Thanks in advance!! Kelly

Hi fixleg.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper failed due to its poor construction and less-than-durable materials and that the replacements haven’t been the comfortable or supportive as you’re looking for.

Your question about a replacement is incredibly subjective. I don’t know what kind of mattress the Sweet Sleeper is (hybrid? Memory foam? Innerspring? Pillow top?). I don’t know how firm it is or how thick the comfort layers are. The construction is a mystery, as it were. Also, without knowing what you felt sleeping on that mattress, I can’t give a meaningful suggestion. What did you like about the mattress? What are your must-haves and deal breakers for a bed?

I’m happy to give you the tools you need a direction to go in terms of a new mattress.
NikkiTMU