Sherwood bedding Lumina Celebrity Firm TXL; Lumina Celebrity Lux Firm TXL

We are considering buying the above 2 mattresses each in XL twin size to make a king bed. We can’t find reviews/rating of these mattresses. We have a concern that the contain a lot of polyfoam. We know that the density of the polyfoam is important, but can’t find out what the density is – when we asked at Urban Mattress, they said they didn’t know & would ask Sherwood, but that since it is :“proprietary info”, they might not be able to get the info. So, we’re trying to figure out, based on the info we have is whether these would be good durable mattresses for the price (about $1400 for 2 XL twins with box). And, is Sherwood bedding a good reliable manufacturer of bedding. We’d appreciate feedback/guidance on these issues, and on these mattresses, in particular. Thank you.
The specs that we have on the mattresses are:
SHERWOOD LUMINA CELEBRITY FIRM –
Heavy Weight Stretch Knit Panel ticking infused with Natural “Tencel” Fibers
2) 100% Natural and Chemical Free Fire Barrier
3) A Layer of Super Soft Soy-Based Quilt Foam
4) A Layer of H.D. Firm Soy-Based Quilt Foam
5) A Layer of H.D. Firm Soy-Based Quilt Foam
6) Contract Grade Insulator Pad
7) A Layer of H.D. Firm Soy-Based Quilt Foam
8) A Layer of Gel-Infused Memory Foam
9) Contract Grade Insulator Pad
10) Fully Foam Encased & Adjustable Friendly High Coil Density Pocketed Spring Support System
11) A Thick Layer of Shock Absorbing Base Foam

SHERWOOD LUMINA CELEBRITY LUXURY FIRM –

1. Heavy Weight Stretch Knit Panel ticking infused with Natural “Tencel” Fibers
  2. 100% Natural and Chemical Free Fire Barrier
  3. A Layer of Hyper-Soft Soy-Based Quilt Foam
  4. A Layer of Super-Soft Soy-Based Quilt Foam
  5. A Layer of H.D. Medium Firm Soy-Based Comfort Foam
  6. A Layer of H.D. Firm Soy-Based Support Foam
    7)A Layer of Gel-Infused Memory Foam
  7. Fully Foam Encased & Adjustable Friendly High Coil Density Pocketed Spring Support System
  8. A Thick Layer of Shock Absorbing Base Foam

Hi Kaye,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful. A mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

I would be very concerned as well.

You can read a few general comments about Sherwood Bedding in post #2 here and post #2 here. They are certainly a legitimate company but as you can see in post #5 here they aren’t always completely transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses. Some of their mattresses use good quality materials that would be worth considering and some use lower quality/density materials which I would avoid some so it will really depend on the specifics of the mattress you are considering (and your ability to find out the specifics of the materials and components inside it).

Hopefully you’ve already read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If for any reason a retailer or a manufacturer is either unwilling or unable to provide you with the information that you need (about the thickness and density of any polyfoam or memory foam layers in a mattress in particular) to assess the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress I would avoid it completely. It would be reasonable and “safer” to assume that any “unknown” materials in a mattress are lower quality/density range than the guidelines (otherwise they would probably disclose it) and without this information it’s just not possible to make any meaningful comments about the durability or useful life of a mattress and you would be making a very risky purchase.

While some information can legitimately be considered to be proprietary to a manufacturer … there are many manufacturers that claim that the information you would need to make an informed choice is also somehow “proprietary” but I certainly wouldn’t agree. You can read a little more about “so called” proprietary materials and using this as a justification for not disclosing what I would consider to be essential information here and here and here.

[quote]The specs that we have on the mattresses are:
SHERWOOD LUMINA CELEBRITY FIRM –
Heavy Weight Stretch Knit Panel ticking infused with Natural “Tencel” Fibers
2) 100% Natural and Chemical Free Fire Barrier
3) A Layer of Super Soft Soy-Based Quilt Foam
4) A Layer of H.D. Firm Soy-Based Quilt Foam
5) A Layer of H.D. Firm Soy-Based Quilt Foam
6) Contract Grade Insulator Pad
7) A Layer of H.D. Firm Soy-Based Quilt Foam
8) A Layer of Gel-Infused Memory Foam
9) Contract Grade Insulator Pad
10) Fully Foam Encased & Adjustable Friendly High Coil Density Pocketed Spring Support System
11) A Thick Layer of Shock Absorbing Base Foam

SHERWOOD LUMINA CELEBRITY LUXURY FIRM –

1. Heavy Weight Stretch Knit Panel ticking infused with Natural “Tencel” Fibers
  2. 100% Natural and Chemical Free Fire Barrier
  3. A Layer of Hyper-Soft Soy-Based Quilt Foam
  4. A Layer of Super-Soft Soy-Based Quilt Foam
  5. A Layer of H.D. Medium Firm Soy-Based Comfort Foam
  6. A Layer of H.D. Firm Soy-Based Support Foam
    7)A Layer of Gel-Infused Memory Foam
  7. Fully Foam Encased & Adjustable Friendly High Coil Density Pocketed Spring Support System
  8. A Thick Layer of Shock Absorbing Base Foam [/quote]

Unfortunately these “specs” aren’t really specs at all and are missing the most important information you would need to identify any lower quality materials or “weak links” in a mattress or to be able to make any meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

If they provide you with the information that you need (particularly about the thickness and density of the foam layers) and you can post it on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole” but if they either can’t or won’t you would be making a “blind” purchase which as I mentioned would be very risky and I would suggest avoiding it completely.

Phoenix