Shopping Experience

So we found a place nearby that sold latex mattresses, thanks again Phoenix for the help in that.

I’m definitely sold on latex over memory foam. I like the springiness of it compared to the other. The first place we went too, the salesman was very adamant that memory foam was better and would last longer, contrary to my research and the suggestions here. I think he was more interested in pushing us onto a Tempurpedic and was very much trying to sell their new gel line. I tried the gel beds and they weren’t bad really, but I found out I’m just the type to prefer latex. It was easier to get out of and I just found it way more supportive. If it is or isn’t really, I’m not sure. I just liked it better. He only had one in stock, a Stearn’s and Foster, that was way out of our price range. Also, he had to email them to get the specs on the mattress, which he would forward to me, and said I was the first customer to ever ask… Needless to say, even if I could afford it, I don’t think I’d trust that particular store.

The next place was a local furniture store whom we’ve dealt with in the past. They know furniture stats well I guess, but I couldn’t really get much help or information on the mattresses. They mostly deal with Englander. Is that a decent brand? My husband really liked a gel memory foam latex hybrid which was in our price range, but I want something a little more plush and thicker. All of their floor models just felt a bit too firm. They would have to order the size we need which would take a few weeks so I suppose I could just see if they could get something a bit softer.

So… I’m not really sure which way I want to go now. I’ve emailed Brooklyn Bedding and Mario’s response was we should go with the Alexis and I would need a 3 or 5 for the support due to back pain I often wake up with. I really just don’t want another hard bed. The bed I’ve got is hard, despite saying pillow-top, and while I know you can’t compare innerspring to the foam beds in an apples to apples way, I just really don’t think I need a firm bed. If I go that route, I was leaning more towards the Ultra Plush level 8. I’m just not so sure that would be supportive enough though and after the break in period, if it would end up being too soft. I sleep mostly on my side and back. The back pain only happens if I end up on my stomach which is more often than I would like but not every day. I’m not really weight heavy either in any one particular place, it’s spread out LOL. The husband, well, as long as it isn’t a rock he’s fine. I know the Alexis is a hybrid, but it’s in my price range. :slight_smile:

I’ve also emailed SleepEz, but haven’t gotten a response yet. I’m completely confused on how to build their beds :slight_smile:

The first store also said latex had a tendency to show a permanent indention faster than memory foam and that it would be hotter than the gel. Now, I know he was really trying to get us to buy the most expensive thing in the store, but I had read that on other sites, followed by the exact opposite LOL. So, I’m a bit confused. I need a mattress that’s going to last at least 5 or so years, preferably longer as convincing my spouse to buy one now was way more trouble than it is likely worth. Indentions are expected eventually and I’m not crazy enough to think they won’t happen. They just won’t show up in a few months will they??? Will a poly foam base break down super fast?

Ugh. I’ve inundated myself with way too much information and am seriously stressing myself out over this decision. I don’t mind buying online, Amazon and I have an awesome relationship. I bought our current bed off there. Which incidentally I bought a king and they sent a cal king instead which has left a huge gap at the footboard, but that’ll be corrected with a new mattress. My local options are just really limited. The furniture store does offer free delivery up to a 100 miles which is a plus and their prices were very close to BB.

At the risk of a very bad pun, I guess I’ll just have to sleep on it.

Hi cjwest,

I would be very careful with Stearns & Foster Luxury Latex line because in most cases there are thick layers of lower quality/density polyfoam in the comfort layers which would be the weak link of the mattress and you would actually be sleeping more on polyfoam than on latex. they are not a great latex choice not to mention their poor value.

The brand of a mattress means very little to me because a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it. Englander makes some good quality mattresses and some that I wouldn’t ever consider because of the low quality of the materials. They do make some Dunlop latex mattresses in some areas of the country that would be worth considering as long as you had all the information about what was inside it and the price represented good value compared to what else was available to you. They also make some memory foam and gel memory foam mattresses but knowing the specifics of what is inside any particular mattress you are considering is the only way to make meaningful quality and value comparisons.

I would strongly suggest that you never discuss a comfort choice or mattress choice through email but only over the phone which is a much more effective way of sharing all the details and more “nuanced” information that you may need to make the best possible choice or fot them to give you the best guidance. The advantage of a component mattress such as the Alexis is that you can either re-arrange or exchange a layer if your original choice is less than ideal.

Again … I would strongly encourage you to have these types of conversations on the phone … not with email.

All of your questions here would depend on the specifics of each material including the position, density, and thickness of any polyfoam layer. The base layer of a mattress though is not generally the weak link of a mattress though because a mattress tends to soften and break down from the top down so the upper layers of a mattress are the most important. You can read more about the factors involved in the relative durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the other posts it links to. There is a LOT of misinformation (and misinformed salespeople) common in the industry. It’s quite likely that if you have spent more than a couple of hours on this site that you know more than 90% of the people that sell mattresses in the mainstream industry :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix.

Before I buy anything, I will be making a few phone calls. I hate talking on the phone so actually my husband will be making some phone calls, but he knows exactly what we want, so I feel safe with that.

Not one salesperson yesterday wanted to be upfront with the materials used in the mattresses being sold. I had two tell me they’d email me on Monday and one who just honestly didn’t know nor wanted to put forth the effort in finding out. I was just told “it’s a great mattress.” The S&F salesman insisted that that was his most top of the line mattress in the store and then promptly tried to push me on memory foam, which was kind of a red flag. I understand Tempurpedic and beds like it are extremely popular and honestly, the people I know who dished out the funds for them love them. If we didn’t need a cal king, I’d probably be able to get something along those lines.

I liked the latex foam better anyhow after trying it out.

Looks like my next step is waiting on my email information to show up and make some calls.

Thanks for all you help. The time you put into this site has to be exhaustive. I really appreciate it as it has been extremely helpful.

Hi cjwest,

Unfortunately this is the “norm” in the mainstream industry. You could probably teach them a few things with the time you’ve spent on the site. If a salesperson tells you that a mattress is “all latex” then you can always check the law tag which will list all the ingredients (even though it won’t tell you the quality of the materials or how the mattress is designed). I have seen many people “prove” to a salesperson that tried to convince them that a mattress had all latex and of course they were surprised or “shocked” that the mattress was nothing like what they had been telling their customers.

I should also mention that there are many memory foam mattresses that use the same or higher materials than Tempurpedic, that are available in California King, and that sell for significantly less, although as you mentioned you prefer latex anyway.

Phoenix