Shopping for a new mattress in Wilmington, NC (Pure, Golden Mattress, Therapedic, others?)

I have started shopping around for a new mattress to replace a 12 year old pillow top that is showing it’s age. My wife and I started out thinking memory foam but honestly, not for any educated reasons. Once I visited a few local stores I started to realize how little I knew about what I was looking at. I am doing my best to not ‘over study’ since I know I am very guilty of that on major purchases (don’t ask my wife about our car shopping).

One of the places I looked at is a small shop here locally called Cape Fear Bedding (www.capefearbedding.com) that sell smaller/regional manufactured products. Two of them they mentioned are therapedic international and Golden mattress. Looking at their website, I’m not sure who else is a manufacturer and what is a model name. Is anyone familiar with these companies? I did a search and read a few comments on them but not a lot in depth, though I may have missed it in the ocean of other things I was reading before I headed over there.

At another store I stopped at, I saw more of the ‘big label’ mattresses. I liked the Pure Latex Bliss, which brought my attention to the Latex mattress as a good option for me. From the tempurpedic line, which was way out of whack price wise, I liked the cloud luxe breeze but I didn’t spend much time on it since I knew it wasn’t a true option for me.

Ideally I’d like to buy local (or semi-local) if there is a good option. If not, I am starting to open up to the idea of buying online. Any recommendations for locations/manufacturers within a few hour drive would be great (or pointers on mattresses). I did see there was a factory west of Charlotte (about 5 hours away) but didn’t see anything closer… though I may have missed something. The buyers guides on here are great and really appreciated.

Our stats

Him: 6’2" 230 Side sleeper
Her: 5’11" 175 Side or stomach

She prefers a soft feel to the mattress, thus the pillow top on our current model. I need pressure point relief. When I sleep on a mattress that is too firm, my shoulders are always sore. We also have kids (6,3,1) and while they don’t frequently sleep in our bed, they do occasionally join us for a Saturday morning sleep in or boogie man induced hour of comforting at night.

Hi colorfinger,

Cape Fear Bedding is one of the better options or possibilities that are included in the Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC list in post #5 here.

Outside of how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it but both Golden and Therapedic are manufacturers that tend to be more transparent about the materials they use (especially Golden) so you have a much higher chance of being able to find out the specifics of what is inside any of their mattresses you are considering (see this article) so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

In most areas where they are sold … Therapedic and particularly Golden can be among the better quality/value choices in the area but of course the name on a label isn’t nearly as important as what is inside the mattress and how it compares to your other finalists based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Just in case you haven’t yet … I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices and perhaps even more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix