I tend to be a back sleeper.

I’m looking at an all-latex mattress.

What do you guys think of this configuration (full-sized):
3" - Talalay medium
3" - Dunlop medium
3" - Dunlop firm
3" - Dunlop firm (is this necessary?)

Or did I get this all wrong?

If you used the Sleep Ez configurator, it’s spot on. From what they’ve posted in past and what they’ve told me when I was ordering one of their organic mattresses, 3 layers should be enough. Maybe they can chime in here.

Hi emanguba and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

No, it sounds like you are on the right track. Remember, any mattress you choose will be unique to you, based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s), and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). It looks like you already read the Mattress Shopping Tutorial, as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and the Mattress Durability Guidelineswhich is always a good starting point for a mattress search.

Since you are the only one who can determine if a mattress is right for you, and since you are a back sleeper that always would need something a little firmer than similar BMI ranges your configuration doesn’t have any major issues that I can determine. Heavier sleepers, especially those who sleep on their backs, need a firm support layer which you have in the firm Dunlop. An additional firm Dunlop layer would also help as it’ll give you a bit more primary support in the base layers, but also increase the mattress profile which also works to your advantage because it will “lend” extra cradling and comfort (thickness and softness are interdependent) Another good choices is that you avoided the use of soft or medium soft layers in the comfort layers that for high range BMI’s will wear out prematurely. .
Another thing to consider is what sort of base you are using, etc. You can read more about the effects of mattress thickness in post #14 here. Talalay Latex in the top layer seems also a good choice as it will add a little more comfort and better conform to your body profile, it is also ‘bouncier’ than Dunlop, which is a denser form of latex - Talalay in the same ILD as Dunlop will be less dense (will weigh less than Dunlop per cubic foot of material), and many people prefer this for a comfort layer. One aspect I would still ponder on is: if to get the bottom 3" of your mattress in X-Firm to make room for really good support for your back sleeping. You can even try to move that layer a little higher in the configuration to see how it feels. But this is entirely dependent on your needs and preferences. If it’s possible you could try different latex beds at local showrooms, to give you a better idea of what you like and don’t with various configurations of latex.

As Burpleson noted in his reply, Trusted Member of the site [Arizona SleepEZ Factory :: The Mattress Underground]Arizona Sleep EZ Factory[/url] has a configurator which allows you to input your Stats and PPP to determine the right mattress for you. Similarly, Member
Custom Sleep Technology has a Body Profile you complete to name just a few but many of the Members of the site offer Latex mattresses and components for DIY builds. And will be able to assist you in choosing a mattress with a little info about your Stats and PPP. A little further consideration, and I’m sure you will find a mattress perfect for your needs.

~ Basilio