Short-term bed for me and boyfriend

My boyfriend and I are about to move in together and are planning to buy a new king mattress. Neither of us are big people but just like to have space and our new apartment will accommodate a king. I am about 100 lbs and a side sleeper and he is about 150 lbs and a back or stomach sleeper.

We are looking for a cheaper but decent quality king mattress to use for about 2 years before upgrading to a mattress that we would use for 10+ years. What would you recommend for us to buy for only 2 years? So far we have looked at Ikea models (they feel fine in the store but have heard negative reviews), the Charles Roger Gramercy model currently on sale for $799, the Simmons Beautyrest Glover Park, the Keetsa Pillow Plus mattress, and some latex/memory foam options from Brooklyn Bedding.

Since we’ll only have this for 2 years I think I am getting too concerned with all the specificd bu 2 years on a bad bed could be a bad two years…

Help!

Hi confusedinPhilly,

As you can see in post #2 here … there are too many variables and unknowns for anyone to recommend a specific mattress for anyone else based on a few statistics about their body type or sleeping positions.

I can certainly help you with HOW to choose though :slight_smile:

The first place I would start is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices.

Once you get to step 3, the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Philadelphia area are listed in post #4 here.

If you are looking for a mattress that only needs to last for two years … then reasonable quality materials would still be important but careful testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) would be more important yet because most mattresses that are well within the range of your needs and preferences would last for that long as long as you don’t choose something that was on the edge of being too soft which may put you “out of your range” even with the initial break in period and foam softening.

Out of the options you mentioned … Brooklyn Bedding is clearly better value but I would also consider one of their mattresses where you could exchange the comfort layers if necessary unless you were confident that a choice that didn’t have any exchange options available would be suitable for both of you (and for some of their mattresses they can tell you about similar mattresses that you can probably test locally to get an idea of how a specific model feels and performs).

If you have questions along the way … don’t hesitate to post them on the forum.

Phoenix

If you’re willing to spend the $800 you were talking about in the OP, I’d get something you intend to move into a guest bedroom at a later point.

All the information Pkoenix can give you about selecting a new bed can seem overwhelming, but buying a bed is important. I’d use this purchase as a test run where you do try to research. Then when you yy your permanent bed 2 years later, you can e the that much better informed and make a better choice.

So, there search you do this time around won’t be a waste of time because you’re going to be redoing about the same exercise again in two years.