Should I add a mattress pad to help regulate my sleeping temperature?

I sleep hot and while I am loving the comfort of my Cool Luxe (after some adjustments, getting used to memory foam) the bed is rather warm. I have seen both wool and silk padded mattress pads. Would one of these help me feel a little cooler in bed?

Hi Chirurgeon,

I think the first thing I would do is to eliminate some of the other possibilities that could be contributing to the sleeping temperature. You can read a little more about this in post #2 here.

In particular I would check anything you are using over the mattress including any mattress protector, your sheets, and bedding. You can read a little more about the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here and there is more information about sheets and bedding in post #7 here. The “semi breathable” / waterproof mattress protectors are a common “culprit” that can raise sleeping temperatures, especially with mattresses that have softer/thicker comfort layers.

If all else fails then a mattress pad (thicker than a protector) or a topper made of natural fibers such as wool or silk can certainly improve ventilation, moisture wicking, and sleeping temperature but I would also keep in mind that the thicker it is the more it may affect the “feel” of the mattress or the heat that reaches the memory foam (which affects it’s softness and response).

Phoenix