Should I return my Brentwood home mattress ?

I’m a 28-year-old 285 pound guy.

All my life I’ve had cheap store brought Bjs 200 dollar mattresses that was super super firm and hurt my back. This Christmas I decide to buy myself a new memory foam mattress. I went with the Brentwood home 13 inch gel infused mattress!!! I’ve always had a firm mattress so I wanted something that was soft Yet supportive because I’m a bigger guy.

I got the mattress December 22 and I’ve had it for little over a month and I have to say that I love the mattress. I wake up with no back problems and I sleep throughout the night but I do have a problem. I feel like it’s a little too soft for my liking. Maybe that’s because I’ve been on a firm mattress on my life but I feel like when I wake up in the morning I think in the middle . And having a little frimmer mattress would be perfect . I sleep on my side and everyone is saying I need a slightly softer mattress .

Now Brentwood home does Sal a 11 inch memory foam mattress that supposed to be a little on the firmer side . And I can exchange it for that one but I’m not sure. I want a little firmer mattress yet I wanted to be soft and I’m not sure if the 11 inch Brentwood home mattress is going to be too firm for my liking and I don’t know what to do. I need help. Like I said I love this mattress I just it’s a little soft for my liking . Should I change it for the 11 inch Brentwood home bed. Thanks

Hey there, your post caught my eye because I have been research Brentwood home mattresses. I’m certain Phoenix will chime.in with expert advice, and I am by no means an expert, but I will say that the foam densities in their products may not be suitable for a person with your BMI. Check out the durability guidelines on this site. You’re looking for a minimum densities of 2.0 lb / cu. ft. in polyurethane foam, and 5 lb / cu. ft. in memory or gel foam. I know none of Brentwood Home’s mattresses meet these specs.

Personally I was considering one of their latex mattresses, but nixed it after consulting with Phoenix. I took a tour or Brentwood Home’s showroom in LA and tried all of their mattresses. All seemed well built and comfortable, but the few I considered fell short of the durability guidelines, even for someone with normal BMI. I bought the Brooklyn Bedding BME the other day and will give that a shot.

Good luck with your search.

Hi Aidenhardcore,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer:

You’re not providing any meaningful details about the mattresses you chose (11" and 13" don’t provide much information that is usable, as Brentwood Home makes many different mattresses), so I can’t provide any meaningful information about the product you chose or are considering.

Otm_shank did make some good points that you’d want to consider. In order to make an informed decision about switching to a different mattress, you need to find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Having a high BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

If the materials were the same in the two mattresses you are comparing, with just less of the material in the thinner mattress, then the thinner mattress would generally feel softer for someone who has a higher BMI. But without knowing the materials of each mattress (the 13" and the 11" you mentioned) and their densities, I unfortunately wouldn’t be able to provide much more meaningful information for you.

If you are able to provide more detail, I can do my best to be assistive. You may also wish to place a phone call to Brentwood Home and ask them their opinion, as they would be best suited to provide a detailed answer and advice, being most familiar with the products they offer.

Phoenix