Shovlin vs Berkely ergo.

Hi first off this is a very informative forum thank you for your hard work. My question is which brand? I am looking for the pros and coins of each company. I know Shovlin is on your list so that says something. I have not decided yet which type of mattress we are interested in yet. We will be testing at each company. My zip is 18353 maybe there are other options closer to me. Thanks in advance.

Hi GP,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The first place to start is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

The brand of a mattress isn’t important because all manufacturers have access to the same type of materials. What’s important is …

1. A mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences)

2. You know the specifics of what is inside it to make sure that it uses good quality materials and there are no weak links

3. The other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of that are closest to Saylorsburg, PA are listed in post #4 here and in post #6 here (with a fair bit or overlap).

Phoenix

Thank you phoenix for your response. I have read the tutorial and think I can go armed with the proper questions. If at any point I feel I need help I will go back to it and review it again or seek your help if I have a question. I pick the 2 company names by reading the forum and feel the value and quality are there. Just wondering what your opinion of both ccompany’s were. I don’t see any neg. feedback on either at this time just looking for more positive feedback on one or the other. I know in the end it will be me testing to make any decision. Thanks again for your helphelp

Hi GP,

Shovlin Mattress Factory is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that they compete well with the best in the industry.

Berkeley Ergonomics doesn’t have a dealer near you that I’m aware of so it’s probably a moot point but they use high quality materials and components, their dealers that I’ve talked with are all knowledgeable and experienced, and depending on your personal value equation would certainly be a good quality/value option that was well worth considering if you are near one of their retailers.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. They have a dealer in NYC. Scott Jordon furniture which is just over an hour away. So I was going to hit fanwood and hop over to NYC. Any comments on Scott Jordan Anyone?

Hi GP,

OK … I didn’t realize that you were considering driving quite that far.

I have had several conversations with Scott at ScottJordan and I think highly of him and he is a member of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. He is certainly what I call “mattress people” and is knowledgeable about mattresses and the pros and cons of different materials and mattress designs. If you are comfortable with the distance … they would be well worth including in your research.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks for your reply. Sunday we will be going to test out the beds at Shovlin mattress co. my one concern after talking with them is the quilted top in the comfort layer. They say depending on the mattress that they use a polyester blend cover , do not believe in a wool padding inside. He say wool will keep you warm when sleeping. Any comments please

Hi GP,

Wool is generally regarded by most mattress manufacturers as being one of the better temperature regulators (in both directions) so I don’t share Ron’s opinion about wool quilting.

Post #2 here has more about the many factors that can affect temperature regulation in a mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you, also what’s your opinion on polyester in the ticking, he told me that they also use bamboo. I have read what you put together under mattress basic info. I am looking for cool sleeping and I also have a tendency to sweat at night at times. Is cotton and or wool a better choice? I am looking for a plush feeling and wool might take away from that. Is there better options for me.

Hi GP,

There are many variables that work together that affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress (see the post I linked earlier) and each one has their own tradeoffs. Mattresses aren’t tested “as a whole” for airflow or temperature regulation so only looking at one of the many variables or materials can be misleading without looking at all the rest and how they work together. The most effective approach would be to look at all the materials in a mattress and avoid materials or designs that are known to sleep hot for some people (although they may be fine for others) in combination with the experience of a manufacturer or retailer that has your best interests at heart and your own “educated best judgement”.

Natural or “semi synthetic” viscose fibers or fabrics tend to breathe and wick moisture better than synthetic fibers but there are also some synthetic fibers or materials (such as coolmax or outlast) that do a good job with temperature regulation. Synthetic quilting foams or fibers are also more breathable than many other types of materials (such as memory foam). There is also more about different fabrics (including a comparison between cotton and bamboo or other viscose fabrics) in post #7 here and the posts it links to (it is discussing sheets but the same materials are used for mattress covers).

There is also more about wool quilting in post #6 here and there is also more about quilted covers as a whole in post #12 here and the posts it links to.

I would also keep in mind that the mattress protector, sheets, and other bedding that you use can also have a significant effect on the sleeping temperature of a mattress and in some cases can offset some or most of the temperature regulating benefits of the mattress itself.

Phoenix

Well I finally bit the dust and purchased a shovlin nirvana latex bed in a king medium firmness. Also picked up a nice topper for it that seemed at the time to add an additional layer of comfort. We can always opt to not use the topper if we feel its not needed after time. A week or two out for delivery I will make sure to give results after it has been slept on for a few day. Phoenix thank you so much for your help and this website. GP

Hi GP,

Thanks for the update … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It sounds like you made a good choice and I’m looking forward to your updates once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Not cheap but a good product… 10 yr replacement guaranty and 20 yr warranty. Will exchange if not right for us.

Hi GP,

My wife and I are looking at the same mattress…a Shovlin Nirvana latex medium firmness w/removable topper. So, I’m really interested to know how you like your new mattress…the pros and the cons?

Also, were you able to negotiate any discount off the suggested retail price?

Thanks,
AC