Side Sleeper w/ Shoulder/ Neck Pain

Hi! I would love being pointed in the right direction as I have already bought mattresses that I researched to be “perfect for side sleepers”, but had to return due to them being too firm, and too much pressure on my shoulders. I have numbing in my fingers most of the time, and toss and turn due to pain in both shoulders resulting in 4 hours of sleep if I’m lucky. I bought the Brentwood home Oceano as well as the Nolah Evolution 15 and returned them both because they weren’t soft enough and i didn’t get pressure relief for my shoulders. Reading reviews again I was looking at the Purple 4 hybrid, but I don’t want to have to return something again and I don’t want to just go to Mattress Firm. I live in Redding, CA and am hoping someone can recommend a mattress that is excellent at pressure relief. Thanks!!!

Hey K.Aschenbrener,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your patience and for your question.

[quote]Hi! I would love being pointed in the right direction as I have already bought mattresses that I researched to be “perfect for side sleepers”, but had to return due to them being too firm, and too much pressure on my shoulders. I have numbing in my fingers most of the time, and toss and turn due to pain in both shoulders resulting in 4 hours of sleep if I’m lucky. I bought the Brentwood home Oceano as well as the Nolah Evolution 15 and returned them both because they weren’t soft enough and i didn’t get pressure relief for my shoulders. Reading reviews again I was looking at the Purple 4 hybrid, but I don’t want to have to return something again and I don’t want to just go to Mattress Firm. I live in Redding, CA and am hoping someone can recommend a mattress that is excellent at pressure relief. Thanks!!!
[/quote]

Congrats on your new mattress shopping adventure! I’m sorry to learn of the difficulty you are experiencing finding the ideal side sleeping mattress for pressure relief. Can you give us your personal stats for better understanding your pressure point pain as related to the mattresses you’ve tried using? Please tell us about your height, weight, body type/ weight distribution, and sleep position(s), if more than side sleeping only. What mattress were you using prior to the ones you’ve returned and how old was it? Also, what size mattress will you be purchasing and what is your budget? Looking forward to your reply and thanks :wink: .

Sensei

So I am 5’9 and 184lb, rectangle body type with weight distribution in my arms, stomach and thighs, and my partner is 5’8 180 lb and carries his weight primarily in his stomach- thanks to beer! I sleep on my sides only, and my partner sleeps either on his side or his back. We prefer California King, and I’m expecting to pay around $5000, would love to find something closer to $2000, however I’m to the point that I’d rather invest in something that lasts and works to take care of my discomfort. Before we bought these mattresses, we were sleeping on a Novafoam bed from Costco, which I didn’t like as well, we slept on that for 8-9 years. During this time I was experiencing shoulder, lower back and hip pain. Which is why I began looking into hybrids. Thanks for the help!

Hey K.Aschenbrener,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: .

Three of the mattresses you mentioned (Brentwood Home Oceano, Nolah Evolution 15, Novafoam) all share a common comfort material: memory foam, a slow response foam. It responds slowly to new and changing positions and has somewhat of a “dead” feeling nature. It’s also difficult to control how far you sink into a memory foam layer as it may soften over the course of the night, changing a once correct spinal alignment into a “hammock” position and resulting in a backache by morning. That said, you may consider a hybrid mattress using other pressure-relieving materials in the comfort layers; latex foam could be a good choice.

You should be able to find a Cal King size for considerably less than $5,000, depending on what materials and constructions you prefer. As you may know from reading other forum posts, we do not make mattress recommendations outside of TMU’s Trusted Member Program, as these manufacturers have met our strict vetting process for quality, expertise, and superior customer service. Here is a list of members offering latex hybrid models for your review:

Arizona Premium Mattress

Bay Bed & Mattress

Escondido Mattress

Flexus Comfort

Fox Mattress

Gardner Mattress

Magic Sleeper

Mattress Makers

My Green Mattress

Nest Bedding

Oklahoma Mattress Company

Richmond Bedding

Shovlin Mattress Factory

Texas Mattress Makers

The Beloit Mattress Company

Hopefully, this listing will help get you started with ideas :wink: . Have you made any further progress since your last post? Good luck with your mattress research and hope it goes well for you.

Sensei