Side Sleeper with a bad back

I’ve bought 3 mattresses in a year and I give up, my back has had it. With this last mattress my hips fall into a hole and my shoulders don’t sink in enough so I’m getting nerve problems in my arms and wrist, and my back will literally go out. The main problem with all 3, was how within days it seemed my hips and butt make a indentation and my spine sinks at the bottom, when I toss and turn my spine is getting worked over and so is the bed. I’m think I need this " King Coil Extended Life Collection XL 200 Cushion Firm ". This has the twice tempering with the 12.5 gage steel for the super strong support, plus a 5 on a scale of 1-10 for top softness. But I’m still worried cause now I have to get another credit card just to pay for a new bed so I can’t screw up. I’m also worried if I need a dual zone for my wide upper core and thin hips that are heavy? I’m only 150 lbs I’m 5’11. I should be 165 or so. But I have that athletic slim build. So should that king coil be good or should I get a dual zoned bed I just don’t know? I need a simple yes… or no get this specific bed… type of answer please, ive been going threw a lot and i dont want to get into it. On top of that I believe I have sleep apnea now and if I’m at a bad angle it’s worse so I have a sleep test scheduled.

Hi cory710,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience but if anything it indicates the need for a little more careful research … not less.

Unfortunately what you are asking for isn’t possible. I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or materials because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know which type of mattress design or materials would be best for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (there is also a shorter version at the end) which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

One of the most effective “shortcuts” that can help cut through much of the confusion when you are buying a mattress is to focus on finding and dealing with knowledgeable and experienced retailers and/or manufacturers that have your legitimate best interests at heart (and aren’t just interested in selling you anything that they can convince you to buy) and are fully transparent about the materials inside the mattresses they sell (see this article). These are the ones that already know what you would otherwise need to learn and understand the importance of choosing a mattress that is a good “match” for you and knowing the specifics about what is inside any mattress that you are considering. They can provide you with the type of information and guidance that can help you make the best possible choice. Who you choose to deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix