Side / stomach sleeper

Unfortunately I am a side(65%)/ stomach (35%)combo sleeper. I find this difficult because I like a softer feel on my side but get bad back pain when the mattress is too soft when on my front. I like the feel of memory foam but I’m also a ver hot sleeper. I am 5 10 185 lbs. Does anyone have recommendations for mattresses to address this?

Thanks

Out of the box thinking here. Every mattress will be a compromise.

Solution? King or queen latex with one side firner and other side softer.

FloBeds or SleepEZ can do that for you.

Another solution is air bed with firmness control. I like Air Pedic over Sleep Number due to 3 chambers vs 1 chamber.

John

Hi Gontron,
Perhaps a zoned mattress would be helpful for you. That way it could be softer near the shoulder and offer more support in the midsection. Obasan does this, and I’m sure there are others - you could look them up. Their mattresses are fairly breathable also.

Hi Gontron, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

I am a side(65%)/ stomach (35%)combo sleeper. I find this difficult because I like a softer feel on my side but get bad back pain when the mattress is too soft when on my front. I like the feel of memory foam but I’m also a ver hot sleeper. I am 5 10 185 lbs. Does anyone have recommendations for mattresses to address this?

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty finding a mattress comparable to your sleep profile. As you likely know, any mattress you decide on will be v based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). As you prefer a softer comfort layer for the majority of your sleep, but find it uncomfortable when you switch to sleeping on your stomach. You don’t say what your current mattress is, but that you like the feel of memory foam…keep in mind that some consumers find memory foam to sleep ‘hot’…we suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have proper support, especially with your higher BMI.

You can also see the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know compared to the Mattress Durability Guidelines,how certain materials hold up over time. If possible, you might want to take as rtrip to any local showrooms, just to try different mattresses at different firmnesses to create a ‘short list’…all latex, latex hybrid, foam hybrid, etc.

Thanks @TheCleanBedroom for your suggestion, I also think an Obasan would be a great choice, especially if you are looking at natural/chemical free solutions…Once you have an idea of the type of mattress(es) you are interested in, they, or any of the Trusted Members of the site can assist you in finding an ideal sleep solution; these all have great quality, transparency in construction and materials, and generous return /exchange policies. Here’s to success in finding your next great mattress!

~ Basilio