Silk and Snow Hybrid, Sleepy’s Hybrid Plush, Helix Midnight

Hello all,

Per the title, I’m trying to decide between the Silk and Snow Hybrid, Sleepy’s Hybrid Plush, and the Helix Midnight.

Here’s my mattress history. About five years ago I bought the layla all foam mattress and never loved it. Both the soft and firm sides were uncomfortable, so I switched to firm and added a tempurpedic 3” memory foam topper. I liked that until I met my body-building partner who makes the topper slide around and cave in weird. It’s ultimately my mattress so his needs are less important than mine (lol) but he did reveal to me that he avoids staying at mine because the mattress is uncomfortable.

I generally like the feel of memory foam, but I have concerns about the supportiveness of a full foam mattress, and hybrid mattresses seem to intuitively feel more comfortable. I am looking at 6/10 in terms from softest to firmest. I went to mattress firm to try out the Sleepy’s Hybrid Plush which is a bit outside of my price range ($1000) but worth it for comfort and durability. I would buy it but I just get a bad feeling that these chain stores are going to rip me off. I went to a natural mattress store and found all of the mattresses were far outside of my price range.

Ultimately, I would love to find a bed similar to the Sleepy’s Hybrid plush but that does not require me to go through a chain.

I’ve been looking at the Silk and Snow Hybrid mattress because I like the price and the return policy, but I have concerns that it will be too firm. I am a side sleeper, 125-135 lbs (depending on the weather) 5’8 which I believe makes me a lightweight sleeper.

I also have looked at the Helix Midnight or Sunset, but I have concerns about the durability of those mattresses.

Stats for Sleepy’s Hybrid Plush: (no weights of foam provided)
1” Gel Memory Foam
1” Soft Comfort Foam
2” Medium Air Flow Foam (?)
8" Firm Pocketed Coils with foam-encased Edge Support

Stats for Silk and Snow Hybrid:
Top Layers
1" Luxury quilted cooling gel foam and hollow fibre that helps keep you perfectly cool
2" Gel memory foam that provides superior relief for pressure points
Coils
Queen - 1000 pocket coils

Our obsession with quality means we strive to meet the highest compliance standards of any bed-in-the-box available online in USA and Canada. All the foams in the Silk & Snow mattress are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® approved foams are made without ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead and other heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They are Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).

Stats for Helix Midnight:
2.5" of 2.5 lb/ft memory foam, a 1" transition layer of polyfoam, and 8" of pocket coils on top of 1" of 1.8 lb/ft base polyfoam

Any thoughts or suggestions on something similar to the Sleepy’s Hybrid Plush?

Thanks

Hi Liz1,

Welcome to the MattressUnderGround and becoming a new MUGster!

The best mattress for you will depend on your specific preferences, such as desired firmness level, sleeping position, and any specific features you prioritize, such as motion isolation or temperature regulation. PPP’s (posture and alignment, pressure relief and personal preferences).

In general Sleepy’s Hybrid Plush appears to be the softest option due to its gel memory foam and soft comfort foam layers, making it ideal for those who prefer a plush feel.

The Silk and Snow Hybrid and Helix Midnight both offer a balance between support and comfort, with the Silk and Snow potentially leaning towards a cooler sleep experience due to its cooling gel foam layers.

Having said that only the Helix Midnight offers transparency regarding exactly what is in their mattress, the two others label their layers but do not offer density and ILD’s or spring gauges.

I typically avoid considering mattresses that feature foam perimeter edge support encasing their spring coil layer. This preference is one I’ve expressed consistently. Trusted Member Mattress Makers have produced an insightful video delving into the different edge support systems found in mattresses, and my stance strongly aligns with theirs on this matter.

While foam perimeter edge support aims to enhance stability along the mattress edges and prevent sagging, I’ve expressed concerns about potential issues such as foam degradation over time, the fact that the perimeter foam occupies up to 10" of support layer sleeping space on the mattress effectively reducing a king mattress to the area of a queen.
I lean towards mattresses with edge to edge spring support systems that offer a more uniform feel across the entire surface. Thus, silk and snow is one that I would eliminate.

At this point the Helix Midnight stands out as the best mattress in the group. Simple design, transparency of materials, you know exactly what you are getting.

In the more traditional styled non latex mattress mattress, the @DLX classic hybrid comes to mind.

You may also want to query Trusted Member Magic Sleeper Mattressas they have a reputation for duplicating mattress with improved materials.

Although not a Trusted Member, Yawnder is an authorized dealer of Helix mattresses. Much like our Trusted Members, they offer great customer service, all the same trials and returns, and extra promotional pricing on the Helix Line of mattresses should you choose that route.

As mentioned @DLX has a an excellent customer service team, no hard feelings warranty, incredibly supportive mattresses using better quality materials, where at first glance might not realize they ship in a box.

Ultimately, the mattress that makes your final selections will match up with all your preferences. It’s helpful to read reviews, compare specifications, and, where possible, try out mattresses in person or take advantage of trial periods offered by manufacturers to ensure you find the right fit for your needs. I happen to have chosen 3 mattresses over the past year and a half, on specs alone. Two brooklyn bedding, one for our master bedroom, one for a guestroom, and a DLX for an ageing relative with a myiad of health issues. Got it right each time, so it can be done without trying the mattress first.

Please feel free to follow up with any questions you might have. Remember to take advantage of our Trusted Members area for additiona promotions available as a courtesy to TMU MUGsters Trusted Members Listing with Promotions.

Best of luck to you,

Maverick

1 Like

@Liz1
Beware of mattresses that declare, “assembled in America”. It’s not the same classification as, “made in USA”.

1 Like