Silk and Snow Mattress

Hi Manimal,

Thank you for sharing the results of your discussion with S & S!

Phoenix

Thanks for sharing Manimal. It sounds like they have fairly good specs so I am going to give it a try. A lot of the other online mattresses available in my area don’t seem to be as high-quality, so I am hopeful this is the one. Anyway, I put my order in today and looking forward to receiving the mattress.

Hi SleepyAl,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: I’ll be interested in learning about your opinion of you new S&S mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Congratulations! I have also purchased snow mattress.

So I wanted to hold off on writing a review until I got a chance to try the mattress for a few weeks and get a good feel for it. I think this one is a keeper. I consider myself to be a pretty picky sleeper as I do have a bad back, and have found this to be fairly supportive for me. I have tried and returned 4 of the more popular internet beds in Canada, and felt terrible doing it but my back refused to adjust.

The one thing I did notice immediately with this bed as I was hauling this up the stairs was that it was definitely the heaviest of the bunch I have tried… so I guess that’s very positive??? I realize that everyone has their own personal preferences, so I will stay away from the subjective points. One of the main reasons I chose this bed was because it had a total of 4" of memory foam, and I felt it did seem to make a big difference as it did feel very supportive. There weren’t any issues with smell or recovery once the mattress was uncompressed. Another small detail was that I did find the cover was very nice. It’s a lot thicker and plush (if you could call it that)… it was a small detail but I just found that everything was very well done and I’m pretty satisfied with my purchase.

On an entirely different topic, I found that it’s just been more and more difficult to get the specifications for mattresses and it’s been a frustrating experience. I think most of the members of this forum can appreciate this since this is a fantastic community of individuals who are willing to invest the time to do their research and cut through all the noise on the internet. A lot of the internet based mattress brands don’t offer the mattress specifications anymore, and I found that the transparency of specifications was one of the great things about shopping online. I’m not sure if this is just a problem with Canadian retailers or if it’s an industry trend as a whole.

Hi Sleepy Al,

Thanks for the update on your SS mattress. I’m glad your initial impression is a good one and you’re sleeping better. It seems you like having the total of 4" of the 4 lb memory foam in the upper comfort layers. I think the thicker layers of the more dense memory foam is what you’re referring to as feeling “more supportive” (memory foam itself isn’t a very supportive material), combined with the 1.8 lb polyfoam core.

And finding complete mattress specifications is difficult in the United States as well as Canada.:wink:

I’ll look forward to your future updates!

Phoenix

Something of a belated response to this thread. I recently ordered the Silk + Snow mattress, but first I contacted the company about the composition of their mattress.

Top Layer: 2 inches of 4lb memory foam
Middle Layer: 2 inches of 2.7lb “high performance” polyfoam
Base Layer: 6" of 1.8lb polyfoam

Many reviews of this mattress have incorrectly reported the middle layer as a memory foam, which gave me concerns about it’s durability given the 2.7lb density. However, knowing that this layer is actually polyfoam has allayed my fears enough to place an order. Hopefully this will be of use to any future shoppers! Especially those of us in Canada, where this mattress is available for $250 less than a Casper or Novosbed.

Hi kanati.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! … and Congratulations on your recent mattress purchase! :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that you are covering all your bases and that you contacted the company. Thanks for sharing!

The reporting was not incorrect as a while ago S&S themselves reported the second layer as being Memory Foam. To be more precise…this is what S&S themselves had listed on their own site :

[indent]2’ Ultra-Dense Supportive Memory Foam
2" Ultra-Dense Responsive Memory Foam
6" Premium Support Foam
Polyester/Spandex/Silver Infused Zipper Cover[/indent]
They apparently changed their design … new specs currently listed on their own site are:

[indent]2" of 4 lb Memory Foam
2" of 2.7 lb Responsive High Performance Foam
6" of 1.8 lb Support Polyfoam

You did not mention what your BMI range is … suffice to say that for average BMI ranges this product would n’t raise any red flags.

Phoenix

More subjective insight:

I’ve had the S&S for about 2 weeks after having sent back the Endy (it was way too soft and killed my back in the mornings) and LOVE IT.

It’s just the right amount of sink vs comfort for me, and sleeps much cooler than the previous ones I’ve tried.

Their communication with me was top notch throughout the purchase (where I hummed and hawed for 2 weeks) but boy am I glad I tried this one out. I’m also jazzed that the foam density specifications meet the Mattress Underground minimum criteria; and as such I look forward to a long life out of it.

Just thought I’d share (after having just woken up from an AWESOME Saturday afternoon nap!)

Hi seanpatrick.

Thanks for your follow-up, and I’m glad that you are sleeping well on your new mattress. I’m glad that you are enjoying the comfort of a memory foam product. :wink:

I hope you’ll visit back again with more follow up after you’ve slept upon your mattress for a while longer.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=76399]Hi kanati.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! … and Congratulations on your recent mattress purchase! :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that you are covering all your bases and that you contacted the company. Thanks for sharing!

The reporting was not incorrect as a while ago S&S themselves reported the second layer as being Memory Foam. To be more precise…this is what S&S themselves had listed on their own site :

[indent]2’ Ultra-Dense Supportive Memory Foam
2" Ultra-Dense Responsive Memory Foam
6" Premium Support Foam
They apparently changed their design … new specs currently listed on their own site are:

[indent]2" of 4 lb Memory Foam
2" of 2.7 lb Responsive High Performance Foam
6" of 1.8 lb Support Polyfoam

Phoenix[/quote]

I reached out to Phoenix to clarify this point and wanted to also share my response on the forum. The design of our Silk + Snow mattress has not changed, however, we did update the description of the middle layer to “high performance foam” as it better explained the type of foam being used. The middle layer is a viscoelastic foam, which is why we originally described it as a memory foam. However, for our customers who were a little more well versed in the various types of foam (and many of them appear to be TMU users), to avoid confusion, we found it more appropriate to describe this foam layer as a “high performance foam” as it is a specialty foam designed to work well as a middle layer since it offered a higher support factor and was made in higher ILDs. I believe this is also the description that is commonly used on this forum and was described very well in post #2 in the thread below:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/tuft-and-needle-new-top-layer-foam

Hi Slik + Snow.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification about the material “change”! We appreciate your transparency.

Phoenix

I’ve contacted Silk+Snow a week ago (November 2018) and it seems that their specs have changed again.
Here they are:
2 inches of 4 lb memory foam.
2 inches of 1.8 lb polyurethane foam (ILD 9-11).
6 inches of 1.8 lb polyurethane foam (ILD 36).

It would be great if the Co-founder, Albert, would explain the changes as I’m considering the mattress.

Thank you,

Jewels

Hi Jewels,

Hopefully, S&S subscribed to this topic and received a notification of your new post. (We also sent them a short message to prompt them to look into it… hope they get it)

Phoenix

Hello,
I understand this conversation is about the S&S foam mattress, but could not find a way to make a separate post for their hybrid. I recently inquired about their 12" King Hybrid Silk & Snow bed which is going for $975 cdn and received this response:

We use a much higher pocket density for our Silk + Snow Hybrid mattress when compared to other retailers. As an example, our King mattress has a 1200 pocket coil density.

The specifications of each of the foam layers used in the hybrid mattress are as follows:

1" (1.8lbs) Luxury quilted cooling gel foam that helps keep you perfectly cool
1" 3 lb gel memory foam that provides superior relief for pressure points
1" (1.8lbs) High Density foam that provides support

The coils have zoned support which means that it is firmer in the middle third, to provide better lumbar support, and softer on the outer thirds. The coils are 8" high, the gauge is 14.5 for the outer thirds of the mattress and 13.5 for the middle third.
I asked them about the weight capacity for their mattress. They indicated it could support 2 individuals that were 350lbs and that if anyone was bigger then that the mattress would not be as comfortable. I am still learning about the foam densities etc, but was wondering what you thought about the information provided. I asked for the ild for the foam but the person that replied could not provide that information.

Thank You

Irish

Hello,

I’ve had a hard time getting information regarding ILD from Silk and Snow. I do know that 3 lb memory foam is considered a low quality/low density foam. Phoenix gives guidelines regarding memory foam. Phoenix wrote " never buy any memory foam which is under 4 lbs." I’m learning, just as you are. Look through the mattress tutorial (put your mousse on the word mattresses at the top of this page and it gives you many topics to read so that you pick the best mattress for you). I saw the new Silk and Snow coil mattress and passed on that due to the memory foam. Way until you hear from Phoenix. I hope I’ve helped a bit.

Good luck,

Jewels

Hi IrishST.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]The specifications of each of the foam layers used in the hybrid mattress are as follows:
1" (1.8lbs) Luxury quilted cooling gel foam that helps keep you perfectly cool
1" 3 lb gel memory foam that provides superior relief for pressure points
1" (1.8lbs) High Density foam that provides support[/quote]

While generally speaking 1" of 3lbs memory foam would be a lower quality/density material I’d keep in mind that for normal BMI sleepers one inch or so would be within the acceptable range without having a significant impact on the overall support/comfort and mattress performance over time. There should be no more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density materials in the comfort and quilting layers combined (around an inch or less would not have a significant effect on the durability or longevity of the mattress). Once you are at about 2" or more of lower quality materials, they are likely to be the weak link of the mattress. I would, however, place a caution for higher BMI ranges as this mattress has a total of 3" of foams that have densities lower than what I generally recommend for higher BMI individuals. 1" at 3lbs in combination with the 1" of 1.8" lbs of cooling gel on top and the 1" of 1.8lbs HD would be lower quality/density" material (relative to higher BMI only)

As a brief summary, higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress. For polyurethane foam, if your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher. For memory foam (or gel memory foam), if your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

A high BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). There are also a number of forum posts and threads about mattresses and higher weights and a forum title search on heavy (you can just click this) will bring up many of them. Some examples include post #2 here and post #2 here and this thread and Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights.

As Jewels mentioned when assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here(there is a condensed version of it at the end of that post) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I hope this gives you a good idea of how to start looking for better options and what to look for in your search for a new mattress.

Phonenix

Hello,

I hope Silk and Snow responds. I can’t go forward with a purchase if the specs aren’t certain. We’l see.

Thanks,

Jewels

I guess no one has heard from Silk and snow regarding why they changes the transition layer from 2.7 to 1.8Lbs. With all the previous reviews reviewing 2.7lb layer its hard to tell how soft this mattress feels compared to the other foam beds before ordering. Does anyone know if this change will increase or decrease the overall “softness” of the mattress?

Hi sharphawk12,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

There is actually no way of knowing if this mattress will feel softer, or firmer without knowing the ILD of the foam. ILD and Density do not correlate exactly. Foam manufacturers can make a 1.8 density is multiple firmnesses. On the website I see no mention of the ILD of the 1.8# foam, and what the ILD was of the 2.7# foam.

That said, the main reason most retailers change these layers are usually driven by price increases, operationally efficiencies (trying to reduce stocking too many sku’s, i.e. not stocking 2.7lb anymore) and their desire to maintain their selling price points. We will continue to update the forum if and when we learn more.

Thanks,
Sensei