Silk & Snow - Memory Foam Mattress

Hello,

I recently purchased a mattress from S&S after learning as much as a could from this place and varios other forums. It looked like their foam densities were good, which I read was important. I have the mattress and I am second guessing myself. I am not sure if memory foam was the right call and if I should have gone with something like latex or cooling polyfoam.

I am young, have no back issues, and have a regular build.

Just wondering if you guys think the S&S mattress is decent for the price or if I should return it and look for something else. I have friends who have bough Endy (they love it) and recore (they also like it) and I thought through all my research S&S would be better.

It seems okay for the price, although long-term comfort of a foam mattress depends on your weight. It is hard to find a good mattress for a reasonable price in Canada (foam seems to dominate here), but I would probably rather get the following cheaper mattress than S&S foam mattress:

https://queenswaymattress.com/products/victora-1?variant=17708887113826

I am shipping my mattress from the US.

Hi MossyG,

Yes, it’s a good mattress, the memory foam is 4lb density while the support and transitional layers are 1.8lb poly-foam which are common in the bed in a box industry. These specs fall in the lower acceptable limit set by TMU and are fair for the price you paid.

I suggest you sleep on it for a month and give your body time to adjust to the new mattress, then you’ll be in a better position to make a decision if you’re going to keep the mattress or return it.

Please keep us posted on what you end up doing,

Best,

Thank you for the suggestion. I was wondering if the month trial period was truly necessary or something that was just said to get you to keep the mattress.

I’ll give it a month and get back to you guys.

Well, was there any problem with the mattress for you? If you like the feel of memory foam and you have no back pain or any other issues and only worried about the price, then the price is right. Otherwise, yes, give it some time.

I’m not used to foam mattresses and the 4 inches of soft memory foam feels like im sinking a lot. It seems ok though

Memory foam does allow sinkage, and only you can decide if you like that feel. Things to be cautious of is if it’s allowing you to hammock (sinking more around your mid-section) then it can cause lower back pain by not keeping your spine in proper alignment. Also when you sink into a foam layer it tends to envelop you and trap body heat, so determine if that is an issue for you as far as it sleeping uncomfortably hot. If those aren’t causing any problems for you and you’re sleeping well on it then it sounds like a good match. It is normal to take a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new mattress and for it to break in so that’s why most companies require you to trial for at least 30 days. Good luck and please let us know how it ends up working out for you!

• Bill

Some people like the feel of memory foam, some don’t. As Bill said, only you can decide if you like that feel. But if you decide to return it, I hope you have something to sleep on while you are looking for another mattress. I hope where you live there are still some options to check out mattresses at a store. You can always ask advice here, but let people know your weight, sleeping positions, personal preferences, etc.