Similar to Suspension Fabric / Cold Foam Combo (2")

Hi all,

I have a couch that I get the best nights sleep on (that I am trying to replicate with a new mattress). The couch has Suspension Fabric (DYMETROL) under supporting it, and then High-resilience polyurethane foam (cold foam) 2.2 lb/cu.ft. over it

That is it, that’s all. And I’m getting the best sleep on it

Any idea on a mattress that would have a similar effect/feel to it?

Thanks a ton!

Hi AlexZ,

Wow! welcome back to our forum after… what? … about 6 years…:wink: …

I was checking on your previous postings and it looks like you have better luck indeed with sofas and couches. :slight_smile: Designing and building your own mattress can be a lot of fun but it can also be quite frustrating and involves a lot more knowledge of how different materials, layers, and components interact than many people suspect. Posts 15 - 17 here may be worth reading and I would normally recommend working closely with a manufacturer who will be able to give good advice about all the different components (option 2 in the linked post) over using your own knowledge and separate sources to build your mattress (option 3 in the linked post) but for those who want to forge ahead with their own design anyway … this will provide some options.

It is always very difficult to try to match one mattress feel with another, even with the exact specifications. You did not mention the IFD of this particular foam, but in this case, it may be even harder paritcularly with High Resilience foams, which are typically used in the upholstery of quality furniture. Cold foam in furniture has good dynamic load characteristics – for example when you sit down and get up from the same position in a sofa over many years, which means that this foam holds its shape for longer without developing impressions and collapsing. All of this is to say that the only way to “duplicate” a specific “feel” or mattress is to use the same foam variants in the same layering scheme with the same mattress cover. While there are many combinations of materials and construction that can lead to similar degrees of pressure relief and alignment (what someone “needs” in a mattress) … they will have different properties such as motion isolation, speed of response, breathability, resilience, motion restriction, depth of cradle, surface feel and many other different characteristics (what someone prefers in a mattress that is a significant part of its “feel”).

If the foam in your sofa is truly 2.2 lbs/ft3 in density then it is more likely that it is an High-Density poly, For a Polyfoam to be considered high resiliency … “by Law” requirements…must have both higher than 2.5 lb./ft3 in density and have a compression modulus of 2.4 or higher. and are defined in ASTM D3770 on the PFA website. These are important factors in why HR foam has the qualities it has)

The other issue may be that this particular foam is not used in the bedding industry as often as it’s used in the Furniture industry. I would recommend that you contact some of our trusted members that help with DIY constructions such as Arizona Premium ( Expert of the site here) and see if they have access to this furniture type of foam. Another place you may try, that has been written about recently on this forum is foamorder.com, they seem to have many different versions of cushions and blocks of foam, as well as regular mattresses. Ordering layers separately and where to order would depend on the material you wanted. Local mattress manufacturers and local foam shops can often be good quality and value sources if you want to see what you are buying first or talk to someone that has the skill and knowledge to help you make good choices.

Thank you for the post and I hope you can find something appropriate.

Phoenix

Thanks so so much for the thoughts and advice!

Hi AlexZ,

You are very welcome and good luck in your search, please don’t hesitate to ask any other questions you may have.

Phoenix