Simmons Beautyrest Black Hybrid Gladney

Hi,
In the market for a new mattress due to back pain. This is worse than car shopping!! Every mattress I research has outstanding reviews and terrifying reviews. I am 6’6" 230 lbs and a side sleeper w lower back pain (most likely due to my 16 year old mattress). I have researched the following mattresses:

Sheraton bed
W Hotel bed
Westin bed
Beautyrest Black Hybrid Gladney

I somewhat discount the first 3 because I cant sleep on them even though they come highly recommended. Although, recent reviews on these are not as good as they were 7-9 years ago… So…we come to the Simmons Beautyrest Black Hybrid Gladney sold my Mattress Firm. Loved this bed when I layed on it at the store. I have a few concerns.

a few bad reviews on here. (although I can find a bad review on any mattress)
and
Hybrids haven’t been around that long, so don’t really know the longevity.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi dowall,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including all the mattresses that you mentioned).

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

You can read more about hotel mattresses in post #3 here and as you can see I would avoid them as well along with any of the major brands or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of all the layers and components inside it (see the guidelines here).

I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

When you get to step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks. Mandeville, LA 70448

Hi dowal,

The closest options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Mandeville area (subject to the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are in the Gulfport/Slidell list in post #4 here.

There is also a list for the New Orleans area in post #4 here and for the Baton Rouge/Lafayette area in post #191 here which may also be worth considering.

Phoenix