Simmons BeautyRest crossover meridian

Hi
Can you give me any input on this bed. Simmons BeautyRest Crossover Meridian? I would like to know what it’s worth as well. ( I believe it’s a discontinued model) I purchased a 1300$ latex bed twin xl which I don’t like it was way too hard and made me sweat, the store would like to swap out my 1300$ latex bed for this Simmons BeautyRest Crossover Meridian twin xl. I don’t see it being close to equal value.
Any info would be appreciated so I can make an informed decision.
Thanks!

Hi chanli,

I deleted your post in the other topic because it was a duplicate of this one.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), quality/durability and the useful life of a mattress, and all the other criteria that are most important to you.

Outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) … the most important part of the value of a mattress is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for anyone else … and unfortunately Simmons doesn’t provide any meaningful information about the quality and durability of the materials in their mattresses so there isn’t any way for me to make any meaningful comments about it in terms of durability either. I can tell you though that the major manufacturers all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses that would tend to soften and break down prematurely and would be a weak link in the mattress.

I would avoid all the major brands (such as Simmons, Sealy, or Serta) or any other mattress that uses lower quality or “unknown” materials in the comfort layers especially which could be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability (see the guidelines here). No matter how it may feel in a showroom … if you purchase a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials that would be a weak link in the mattress then they can soften or break down and you may need to replace the mattress much too quickly relative to the price you paid because the premature loss of the comfort and support which was the reason you purchased the mattress isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

If your mattress is all latex (from top to bottom) then it would certainly contain higher quality and more costly materials than the Simmons BeautyRest Crossover Meridian (which I would avoid completely).

If the only issue with your mattress is that it’s too firm for you then it may be worth considering adding a topper to provide you with the additional softness and pressure relief that you may need. If you do decide to go in this direction then there is also more information about how to choose a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your bedding and bedclothes, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … latex in general is the most breathable of all the foam materials so it’s possible that there are other reasons besides the latex that you are sleeping warm. There is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Phoenix