Simmons Beautyrest Westminster Granite

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has info on this mattress?
http://www.sleepcountry.ca/products/tabid/131/products/355/mattresses/simmons-beautyrest-westminster-granite/language/en-us/default.aspx

I tried one today and it feels about right , but I can’t find any info on it at all. Quote is $625 taxes in and delivered (approx $550Cdn pre-tax). I tried a few other stores, but they didn’t have any extra firm mattresses, and were full of greasy and unknowledgeable salesmen.

Thanks for any help. Buying mattresses is painful.
Cory

Hi C10CoryM,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the Simmons mattress you linked).

I would avoid all the major brands and all the large chain stores (see the see the guidelines on this page).

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more informed and much less risky choices and make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

If you let me know your city or postal code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix (for helping me, and all the others).

I did read those posts but was unable to find actual specs for that mattress. I read that Simmons may have sagging issues, which concerned me, but it seemed most inner-spring ones do.

Postal code is v3a 5n2 which is Langley BC. Surrey, Abbotsford or Delta, BC are fine as well.

I’m looking for a queen-size, firm or extra firm with no pillow top. I’m 6ft, 180lbs and mostly sleep alone. Budget is whatever is required to get a mattress that doesn’t sag/poke early.

Cheers.
Cory

Hi C10CoryM,

You won’t be able to find the specs because Simmons or the retailers that sell them don’t normally disclose them. Like all the other major brands … they tend to use lower quality and less durable foams in the comfort layers and I would just avoid them all completely (see #1 and #2 in the guidelines I linked in my previous reply).

There is no reason to avoid all innerspring mattresses for the sake of durability though since an innerspring is not normally the weak link of a mattress. The materials above the innerspring support core are almost always the weak link of a mattress and any lower quality/durability layers above an innerspring are the reason that they develop soft spots or impressions … not the springs themselves. This is why it’s always so important to make sure you know the quality of all the materials in any mattress you are considering and avoid any mattress where the quality of the materials is either too low or you can’t find out (which almost always means low quality materials). A good innerspring mattress with high quality layers above the spring can be a very durable choice.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area (always subject to the value guidelines I linked earlier) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix