Simmons Natural Care

I have a Simmons Natural Care Macon Euro top king mattress that is less than 3 yrs old. Within the first 6 months it felt like it had a ridge in the center of the mattress? It is no longer comfortable and I am afraid of buying another latex mattress and spending allot of money on it? The bed tag reads 58% polyurethane and 40% latex. What failed in this mattress, poly or latex?

that’s scary ! talalay latex cannot be produced in large sizes so they glue 2 pieces together. i wonder if you could be feeling that joint. hope not ! because i don’t want it to happen to me ! LOL

that said i couldn’t find the model - do you have a link ?

I don’t have a link but I think I googled it awhile back. The ridge I feel was not there when I bought the mattress.

Hi jay55,

I don’t think anything has “failed” because foam softening is different from actual failure of a foam which rarely happens.

Are the impressions just when you lie on it or are they also there when you are off the mattress?

How deep are the impressions when you are off the mattress (you can measure them using a straight edge across the mattress surface with no weight on the mattress and measuring the depth of the “valleys”)?

All foam will soften and lose some height to differing degrees depending on many factors (you can read more about the factors involved in durability in post #4 here) but latex will do so much less than other types of foam in any apples to apples comparisons. The softness and thickness of the foam layers (in the upper layers especially) are also a durability factor and this could also play a role if they are not suitable for your body type.

Other possibilities that could be contributing to this are the support system under the mattress and your body type and sleeping style and positions.

Do you know the specifics of the mattress layering in your mattress because the specifics of the layering and knowing the details of each layer could also help to assess what is happening? Many of the Simmons Natural Care used layers of polyfoam and/or synthetic fibers above the latex which could be the “weak link” of the mattress (this is very common in major brands and leads to many issues because people believe they are sleeping on latex when they are in fact sleeping directly on layers of lower quality polyfoam or synthetic fiber which will soften or compress)

If the actual impressions are still there when there is no weight on the mattress and they are deeper than your warranty exclusion then this could be a warranty issue as well which would allow you to replace the mattress.

This is also more common in one sided queen and especially king size mattresses that have a pillowtop or eurotop because there is a larger area in the middle which isn’t slept on in most cases and the thickness of the soft foams that are used in these makes the effects of any foam softening more apparent.

So while it’s not possible to make a meaningful assessment of why this may be happening without knowing the specifics of the layering in your mattress … the odds are very high that any polyfoam both above and possibly below the latex would be the biggest contributor to your issues.

Phoenix