Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Hi Napper,

I made some changes for the different layers of the TitanFlex foam for the BME, as I was provided some clarification on the densities. The softer TitanFlex (13 ILD) is approximately 3 lb density, the medium (18 ILD) is approximately 3.5 lb and the firm is approximately 4 lb.

And yes, TitanFlex is not latex but a high-performance polyfoam with a resiliency similar to latex. Unfortunately, sometimes you can get a customer service person who is either new or confused with specifications. I forwarded your comments to BB, as I’m sure they’d want to be aware of that and help correct anyone involved in providing that information.

Phoenix

Thanks for the update. Mario in his response on the forum to BME changes stated 4lbs, he is sales manager and Keaton is not a recent hire and he said 2lbs and after talking to his manager mentions latex which is not even part of the mattress. So they were all wrong. Without trying to be abrasive, I find that very disappointing. People can make mistakes but they should be better informed in my opinion. Thanks for passing that along.

UPDATE FOR DROMMA:
I was looking into the Dromma bed but found they have changed their components and options. I was excited about a latex/memory foam hybrid in two firmnesses but that has changed. They have gotten rid of the latex and replaced it with “Adapt foam” and now only have one firmness (their old “medium firm”) and got rid of “medium soft”. As per my conversation with their representative, here are the new specs:

[i]Good afternoon Stephanie, per our conversation earlier here is the ILD information for the bed.

Base 33 ILD
Middle 12 ILD
Top: 21 ILD

Here is some information about Adapt-Foam.

1.5″ Top Layer of Adapt Ultra-Responsive Performance Foam – provides support & bounce, with open cell technology for increased air circulation.
It is a more responsive foam due to the open cell technology which allows the foam to breath better and react when weight is applied to it. It will spring back quicker then closed cell memory foam.[/i]

I think this rules it out for me (I was hoping for medium soft) but I am curious if Phoenix has any thoughts on the newer materials.

Hi sretodd,

Thanks for providing the updates on the Dromma mattress. It seems that they have kept the memory foam layer and the polyfoam core the same (eliminating the “softer” polyfoam core), and the upper latex layer has been replaced with the same 1.5" thickness of one of these newer generation of “high performance” polyfoams that are softer but buoyant and more durable than lower-density polyfoams without the viscous properties of memory foam. The “adapt” polyfoam is 3.2 lb in density, which would be a good quality material.

Phoenix

I just want to commend you for the effort you put into your posts and replies. They are always very informative and the linking to relevant prior posts is particularly helpful.

Hi samj1,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

I hope you’ll take advantage of the information here on the site about how to shop for a mattress, and feel free to post with any specific questions.

Phoenix

Hello, all! I ran across this interesting article abbout the trouble some of these mattress reviewer sites have gotten into – thought some of you might find it… uh, illuminating:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

Apparently Purple has pulled something similar with someone else. Anyway, I realize this is sort of off-topic, but I didn’t find it important enough to create a new thread for, but still thought some might find it an interesting read.

Also, speaking of Casper… I notice they have two new models, the Wave and the Essential. Do we know of more detailed specs for either, yet?.

drm870,

Yeah, that’s an interesting article, isn’t it? I read it yesterday. Information some of us involved in doing mattress research were aware of, but nice for someone to connect the dots. The cases with Casper and Purple are very different. The involvement of JAKK in the review site purchase and changes made soon thereafter are interesting, and I’ll be looking to see what happens eventually with the ownership of that site long-term. You should go to HMR and read the disclaimer that they have to place at the top of their web pages, and then click on the link that redirects to the most recent court ruling on that case and you can see the tangled web between that review site and a mattress company and even some of the false reviews a family member of that mattress company posted online. A lot of this is disgusting, but there’s so much money in affiliate advertising that things like this were bound to happen and eventually be exposed. But I know this isn’t the place for such discussions, and Phoenix keeps above such fray (probably for good reason), but as someone who has been following this, I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents.

The new Casper stuff has been discussed earlier on the forum, starting with this post. The Wave was discussed briefly here. And apparently Serta is suing them regarding the Wave for what they say is copying a patented design held by Serta.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Yeah, that’s the other reason I didn’t make a topic over it – on top of not really being the purpose of the forum, the subject matter itself is kind of “loaded,” so to speak. I thought the article was fascinating (and informative!) enough, however, that I’d at least take a chance at a more obscure/subtle post. I do personally think it was worth a read.

drm870,

Yup - I agree.

Phoeniz,

Where did you get the specs for Zotto?

I contacted them through their contact page after hours and asked what the densities of their layers were and this is what I was told.

We can’t give out the specs of our foam layers because its part of our patent-pending formula but we have a description of each layer and the benefits of our formulas here.

I did not include the link it just describes what each layer is without specifics.

Phoenix has her ways… Seriously though as administrator of this forum I would expect her to have access to some information that companies may not so willingly share with the general public. Different companies choose how they want to operate and not all are very open about technical details of their products. It goes back to what Phoenix describes as transparency and the importance of getting the applicable details regarding the construction of products you’re considering. Just one of the many things that makes this forum such a valuable resource!

Hi Napper,

They contacted me in Dec. 2015 with their specifications (see this post).

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=74266]Hi sretodd,

Thanks for providing the updates on the Dromma mattress. It seems that they have kept the memory foam layer and the polyfoam core the same (eliminating the “softer” polyfoam core), and the upper latex layer has been replaced with the same 1.5" thickness of one of these newer generation of “high performance” polyfoams that are softer but buoyant and more durable than lower-density polyfoams without the viscous properties of memory foam. The “adapt” polyfoam is 3.2 lb in density, which would be a good quality material.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi Phoenix
what do you think of the dromma for a higher bmi? they think it would be great but I am wondering what you think?

Hi Ari:

You can see some of my comments about the Dromma where they are listed in the Simplified Choice Thread. There would be no obvious weak links in the mattress, but I would issue a slight caution for those in a higher BMI with the 2.5" of 4 lb memory foam and the 1.8 lb 33 ILD polyfoam core.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

Hi Ari,

You’re welcome.

Phoeinx

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you very much for sharing your time and knowledge and for guiding us through mattress buying process. Really appreciate it!

I am looking to purchase a king size mattress, medium firm, perfect for all kind of sleeping postures, suitable for 150 lb average weight per person. I live in DC area. I reviewed the list given in this post which was super-informative. I am overwhelmed though.

What would be your top 3 picks?

Which mattress do you own? Curious to know.

Regards

Hi VJ123,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

[quote]I reviewed the list given in this post which was super-informative. I am overwhelmed though.
What would be your top 3 picks?[/quote]

I don’t provide “Top Picks”, as what I focus on is assisting people with “how” to choose, not “what” to choose, as it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research (and to assist with being “overwhelmed”) is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I sleep upon a latex mattress.

Phoenix

Hello,
First time posting. I spent a couple of weeks researching for a mattress. Lots of really good information on this forum so thank you. I am from Canada and there seems to be more of these Bed-in-a-box companies available. One of them is ZZAK Sleep and I can’t seem to find much information about them. I reached out to them today regarding the firmness and density of each layer. Is my understanding correct where Layer 2 might be a concern given that it’s a non-flippable mattress and only 1.5lb’s per cubic foot? I assume the numbers after the lbs is the ILD?

"We would describe the firmness of our mattress a 7/10.

The density of each layer is as follows:
LAYER 1: (the comfort foam closet to you): 2" Gelflex Plus 3 lbs 9-14
LAYER 2: (transition foam): 2" 1.5 lbs 25-30
LAYER 3: (support foam): 6" 1.8 lbs 39-44 "