Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

[quote=“Phoenix” post=74266]Hi sretodd,

Thanks for providing the updates on the Dromma mattress. It seems that they have kept the memory foam layer and the polyfoam core the same (eliminating the “softer” polyfoam core), and the upper latex layer has been replaced with the same 1.5" thickness of one of these newer generation of “high performance” polyfoams that are softer but buoyant and more durable than lower-density polyfoams without the viscous properties of memory foam. The “adapt” polyfoam is 3.2 lb in density, which would be a good quality material.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi Phoenix
what do you think of the dromma for a higher bmi? they think it would be great but I am wondering what you think?

Hi Ari:

You can see some of my comments about the Dromma where they are listed in the Simplified Choice Thread. There would be no obvious weak links in the mattress, but I would issue a slight caution for those in a higher BMI with the 2.5" of 4 lb memory foam and the 1.8 lb 33 ILD polyfoam core.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

Hi Ari,

You’re welcome.

Phoeinx

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you very much for sharing your time and knowledge and for guiding us through mattress buying process. Really appreciate it!

I am looking to purchase a king size mattress, medium firm, perfect for all kind of sleeping postures, suitable for 150 lb average weight per person. I live in DC area. I reviewed the list given in this post which was super-informative. I am overwhelmed though.

What would be your top 3 picks?

Which mattress do you own? Curious to know.

Regards

Hi VJ123,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

[quote]I reviewed the list given in this post which was super-informative. I am overwhelmed though.
What would be your top 3 picks?[/quote]

I don’t provide “Top Picks”, as what I focus on is assisting people with “how” to choose, not “what” to choose, as it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research (and to assist with being “overwhelmed”) is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight/BMI range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I sleep upon a latex mattress.

Phoenix

Hello,
First time posting. I spent a couple of weeks researching for a mattress. Lots of really good information on this forum so thank you. I am from Canada and there seems to be more of these Bed-in-a-box companies available. One of them is ZZAK Sleep and I can’t seem to find much information about them. I reached out to them today regarding the firmness and density of each layer. Is my understanding correct where Layer 2 might be a concern given that it’s a non-flippable mattress and only 1.5lb’s per cubic foot? I assume the numbers after the lbs is the ILD?

"We would describe the firmness of our mattress a 7/10.

The density of each layer is as follows:
LAYER 1: (the comfort foam closet to you): 2" Gelflex Plus 3 lbs 9-14
LAYER 2: (transition foam): 2" 1.5 lbs 25-30
LAYER 3: (support foam): 6" 1.8 lbs 39-44 "

Hi phtpCA,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]One of them is ZZAK Sleep and I can’t seem to find much information about them. I reached out to them today regarding the firmness and density of each layer. Is my understanding correct where Layer 2 might be a concern given that it’s a non-flippable mattress and only 1.5lb’s per cubic foot? I assume the numbers after the lbs is the ILD?

The density of each layer is as follows:
LAYER 1: (the comfort foam closet to you): 2" Gelflex Plus 3 lbs 9-14
LAYER 2: (transition foam): 2" 1.5 lbs 25-30
LAYER 3: (support foam): 6" 1.8 lbs 39-44 "[/quote]

The uppermost layer of the ZZAK Mattress uses a 3 lb layer of memory foam called GelFlex Plus. The middle and the base layer are both polyfoam, at 1.5 lb and 1.8 lb, respectively. You are correct that the numbers provided behind the density would be the ILD ranges for those foams. The polyfoam second layer, and especially the memory foam layer, are lower than what I normally advise in the mattress durability guidelines, so I would advise caution with such combination of materials, unless the potential for lower durability and lower pricing were specific tradeoff considerations.

Phoenix

So I think I am likely going to go with a bed in a box. However I noticed that a lot of these companies (Casper, Leesa, BB) are going with a much more responsive foam layer to mimic the feel of latex. I honestly am indifferent about a bed with a responsive or memory foam feel. I’m wondering if there are any major pros or cons between the two types.

Hi MeDave,

There are more manufacturers looking to replace lower density polyfoams in their quilt panels with some of these newer generation “high performance polyfoams”. Some of these foams are also designed to mimic the feel of memory foam, albeit with faster response rates and less temperature sensitivity. And some of them are made more resilient and have comforts similar to latex. But of course, the overall feel of the mattress is dependent upon all of the materials within that particular mattress. And how “buoyant” or "dead’ of a surface comfort feel you desire would be a matter of personal preference.

While these higher density polyfoams do provide some unique levels of comfort, one of the best benefits is the extra longevity they can provide versus some of the less dense and lower quality polyfoam and memory foam materials that they sometimes replace.

Phoenix

If you have upgraded your bedding and have bought a new mattress then in next step you have to buy a protector for your mattress in order to make it safe from bedbugs, water and others. You should buy waterproof mattress protector to protect it from water.

Some mattresses have quilting and others do not and they appear to be a flat surface across. Would it be normal on the flat non quilted mattress to sink in a little but remain on top of vs in the mattress and feel like you are going up a slight incline when rolling towards the middle or edge of the bed whereas the quilting would prevent that?

question applies to an all foam mattress

What you’re describing seems to be like a bit of foam settling/softening in the area where you sleep upon a mattress. It’s normal for the center head to toe area and the side of the mattress to feel a bit firmer and also not be broken-in as much as the areas where the mattress is mostly used. How much of a difference there would be in these areas depends upon use, sleeping patterns, mass applied, as well as the overall layers used within the mattress and quality of those materials. Whether or not the mattress was a smooth top or had a polyurethane foam quilted panel wouldn’t necessarily dictate a difference in these wear patterns, as the phenomenon you describe can be felt in both styles of mattresses. It should be noted that fibers and polyurethane foam are what is commonly found in the quilt panel. There is some quiltable latex, but it is not common, and memory foam is not commonly found in any significant amount in a quilt panel. Quilting these materials can compress them a bit (depending upon the patterns), but how the quilt panel is attached and the cut can also increase loft. So there really are many variables and no one true answer to your question.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

Thank you for the response. I notice on the Kiss mattress it states no caution and says it it good for all weight ranges. The 3lb of Float foam would not be a caution for higher weight ranges?

I looked on their web site and I didn’t find anything relating to weight ranges or applicability thereof, but I could have missed it. Maybe you can link to that so I can read exactly what you’re referencing.

I’m guessing the “float” foam is along the lines of Flo foam or one of the other newer types of quite durable, yet plush, polyurethane foams, that are supposed to mimic much of the feel of memory foam without the changes in viscosity. Whether or not this would be appropriate for someone larger would be up to that person, as larger individuals will put more stress on all materials, especially softer materials in the upper layers of a mattress, even very plush latex. This newer style of higher density plush polyurethane foams are more durable than the lower density similar plushness polyurethane foams they are often replacing. I’m not privy to any general data relating the performance of such foams to memory foams, and even if I had that data it would be quite specific to the formulations being compared.

If someone was larger and considering something using quite plush materials, I would consider something that was a system or used a topper where you could replace those upper layers over time, as regardless of what it is, they’re going to wear it out faster than someone at 50 kg.

Your question of applicability would be a good reason for a phone call directly to the manufacturer and they could give you their best guess. I’ve spoken with Shawn at SleepEZ before and have found that he’s pretty straightforward about telling people if he thinks his product is a good fit for someone. They do have a good 100 day return policy if you order one and don’t like it.

This just does not feel quite right and it was actually like this from early on. If I lay there and look at my body you can see it is slanted somewhat. I guess they want pictures of the bed by itself or with a straight edge over it. Problem is that it happens when laying in the bed, they would be able to see my body is not flat but they will not accept pictures of me in the bed for warranty claim. Too bad, I sleep really well on the bed. I did not experience that even on my previous bed that I had about a decade. I understand there are a lot of variables though.

I’m not a party to your process, but mattress warranties don’t cover comfort or the perception thereof, and the way foam defects are generally evaluated are with a straight edge measuring a depression. How much you sink into the mattress isn’t part of standard warranty boilerplate.

Feeling that you are at an incline could simply be the result of your mass distribution combined with the point elasticity of this mattress compared to your old product. It could be from an inadequate foundation. It could be your perception based upon your previous sleeping surfaces. And it indeed could also be some sort of a defect.

If the bed “didn’t feel right” from early on, you had 100 days to return it, so I’m not sure why you didn’t take advantage of that if it felt wrong. But you say you’re sleeping well on the product now, so it’s curious why you want to return it, unless you’re concerned there is some sort of defect that is just beginning to manifest itself now, in which case you have a long warranty on this product (which is good).

If you have such a strong concern, I would suggest a phone call as I mentioned in my last reply. I don’t know if you did that, as you state you’re “guessing” what they want to evaluate the product, and it seems they would have been more clear about what they’d want you to do to evaluate the product if you spoke on the phone. I don’t think any manufacturer wants you to keep something if there really is some sort of a defect that is difficult to determine from afar, but it’s been my experience that you’ll tend to get better responses via phone than with chat, emails or texts.

I don’t know if you were really looking for much of a reply to your post, but I thought I’d respond as I think you bring up points that can be a good reference for others in a similar position.

I’m curious whether break-in time only applies to comfort levels, or does your body adjust to support as well?

I’ve been trialling an Endy for the last few weeks, and though it feels great to lie down and go to bed in (no adjustment at all from day one) I’ve been waking up with a slightly sore lower back. Will my lower back adjust after a period of time, or is break-in only applicable to overall comfort (is support something that you either have or do not have?)

Thanks!

I am still within the trial period and did not return it sooner because I have slept well on it from the beginning and wanted to try and be sure I was not having unrealistic expectations. I have tried to sleep more in the areas discussed to see if they would feel more like the other parts but did not end up in those areas for very long because it bothers me.

I am not guessing, I have called them and they want to try and help but it all comes down to taking pictures in a way that would not show them what I am talking about. This is not about a depression that would be shown with a straight edge or taking a picture of the bed without anyone in it. This has nothing to do with comfort or how far I am sinking into the mattress, I believe this is a defect and if it is not then this mattress is not for me. I have initiated the return process.

If it is a defect then the warranty would be useless unless it shows a depression with a straight edge which is not the problem or be warped so badly that it would show in a picture without anyone in the bed. It could get worse over time and still not fall under the warranty claim criteria, that is why even though I sleep good on it, I am returning it.

While I am not speaking from experience, I believe that there are enough mattresses that fall within a similar firmness range even though there are a lot of different variables that I will be able to find a different product that works. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.