Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Hello, looking at some Bed in a box options here in Canada and came across a company named Fleep.
The matress is dual-sided, a soft side and a firmer side. Its a local company which is a plus for me.

Is there anything to look for in this kind of design or any weak links ? BMI under 30

Here are the specs
Firm side, perforated instant response foam (2 in.) : 4.5 lbs
Dense therapeutic foam adjusted to provide firm comfort (2 in.) 1.8 lbs
Dense therapeutic foam, adjusted to provide soft comfort (4 in.) 1.8 lbs
Soft side, perforated gel-infused memory foam (2 in.) : 4.0 lbs

Hi pled.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for providing the specs for Fleep. The mattress is a 4 layer, 2 comfort options (reversible)10" Gel-infused Memory Foam that was launched a little more than two years ago by Matelas Fleep inc. in Quebec (CEO Gelinas)
The mattress uses Memory foam comfort layers and CertiPUR certified polyurethane foam with removable cover, (74% Polyester, 25% Thermocool® fiber, 1% spandex~ sportswear hand-washable fabric) and it uses FR sock that encloses the mattress layers; Based on the densities you provided there are no red flags at your under 30 BMI.

When considering this mattress I would keep in mind that the mattress does not have further customization options to rearrange or exchange layers to fine tune it if it turns out that it’s not a suitable choice for your specific needs and preferences, so it would be an “all or nothing” purchase. It has a 111 days free trial and returns policy, with a better return policy if you chose to purchase it from Costco (Canada only). I would recommend that you test the mattress to determine if you like the feel of it and if it is a good fit for you at a nearby Costco store. (Softness and firmness and the “feel” of a mattress is very subjective and varies with each person’s weight and body type, sleeping positions, preferences, and individual perceptions)

In case you are considering this item, I would also make sure to check Costco’s warranty policy and their online here and make sure that you have a suitable foundation to place the product upon and that you rotate the mattress periodically as directed in their care instructions.

Hope this helps with your research for a new mattress.

Phoenix

Hello there! Fist day here. I’ve started my journey on replacing my 21-year-old mattress and the first thing I would like to say is that I’m so fortunately to have stumbled upon this great site. I’ve done some reading here but I’m sure there are many things I’ve missed. With the current knowledge I have, I do have a few questions, in particularly about some of the options in the current “SIMPLIFIED CHOICE MATTRESS COMPARISON TABLE”. But before I get to the questions, here’s a little about my situation. I am a big guy, 6’2" 250 lbs. so my BMI is 30+ and will need more durable materials (2 lb. poly form or 5 lb. memory foam). I think I’m a side sleeper? Or at least I fall asleep on my side, but I’d wake up either on my side or back. My preferred budget for a King-sized mattress would be around $1000 but may go up a bit higher as much as $1500.

Now, on with the list of mattresses on the comparison table, I’m curious if there are any information on the other models offered by some of these manufacturers who make great quality products. I’m curious about the “Serenity Mattress” offered by Arizona Premium. The description says it’s from the manufacture who made Casper but this model is “step above and still much less expensive”. I also love the information on “Kiss Mattress” by SleepEZ. Love the price for “Addable”, although I can’t seem to find the link to their Mattress Matchmaker questionnaire and I’m concerned about sleeping hot since I don’t see any cooling material in their construction.

I’ve been looking at GhostBed and Purple prior to reading this site (probably due to their online marketing presence) but 1 has a 4 lb. gen memory foam and other has a 1.8 lb. polyfoam which got them a “slight caution” for heavier sleepers like myself. What’s the estimated impact on this? Should I cross them off of my list?

Sorry for the long post (probably due to information overload), but any additional insights would be greatly appreciated to help me narrow down the choices. I also apologize in advance if some of the questions have been addressed and I missed it via the Search function.

EDIT:
I’ve done more reading since my initial post and have found some of the local manufacturers near me (Los Angeles area) through here. The two I found seem to focus on high quality Latex mattresses. The 10 inch ones cost a bit over my current budget but one of their website show the 13 inch is the most popular? Could it be due to an extra latex layer with a different firmness? It seems as the more I read the more I learn and more options are now available. How will these high end customizable latex mattress compare to Kiss (Sleep EZ) or Pure Green (Sleep on Latex)?

Hi datwundude.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: I am glad you have found us.

It seems that you are on the right track in your search for a new mattress. BMI is a good general place to start and you are looking for the right specs for your weight range to ensure durability. You may have already come across this post in your research but just in case you haven’t read it yet, Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights and it is worth reading. Higher BMI people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal.

I think you might be misreading some of the information provided by Arizona Premium. They do not carry a “Serenity Mattress”; they do however make some comparisons between mattresses where they indeed mention this bed here and here. Serenity is a Savvy Rest mattress which uses good quality materials but has a higher price point so people considering them would want to make some personal value equations. Arizona Premium offers comparable mattresses at a much lower price point and if you let me know the mattress you are considering I’d be happy to comment upon it. They are also one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, knowledge, service, and transparency.

The KISS mattress is produced by SleepEZ, one of the oldest and most-respected independent mattress manufactures in the United States. SleepEZ is very experienced in both latex and memory foam mattresses, and I do think highly of them, their products and their experience.

Thank you for mentioning this… it triggered me to update the information on the Simplified Choice thread for this Mattress! :slight_smile: Addable is in the process of making some product and website changes and the mattress matching questionnaire has been removed from their website. There is caution on this mattress for higher weight ranges as it has 2" of 4lb Memory foam and 2" of 1.8 lb polyfoam which is less than what is usually recommended.

It is not possible to estimate the impact of lower quality components, except in general terms, as this depends on many interconnected factors and a combination of the mattress design, foams used, foam formulations, thickness and the positioning of a specific layer within the mattress along with the mechanical stress and compression that each sleeper exerts on the mattress. All foams go through stresses, and the higher the mass placed upon those foams, especially the uppermost layers, the higher the mechanical stress. A mattress that has softened or changed to the degree that it no longer provides the support, pressure relief, or personal preferences for one person may still be fine for someone else. It’s usually not the final breakdown of materials that leads to the need to replace a mattress but the gradual loss of comfort and support that finally “crosses” a line and at some point is no longer suitable for that person to sleep on. Each person’s “line” can be very different. There is more about the varied factors involved in mattress durability in post #2 here .

Kiss mattress has 2 firmness choices to cover a broader range of the bell curve that will fit more people than a single firmness choice. Pure Green has a basic 7" model and 9" that is customizable before and after purchase (the heavy duty Zipper encasement is hidden under the bottom edge of the mattress.) And they are both suitable for higher weight ranges.
If you let me know which of the 10" and 13" mattresses you are looking at and provide the information I’d be happy to make some comments. Be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Good luck! and once you’ve had the chance to narrow things down a little further, feel free to post back with any specific questions and I or any of our Expert Members will be happy to assist you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your detailed response! I actually got in touch with Scott today and received the discount information for Sleep On Latex. I was narrowing down between them and Kiss but felt a full Latex may simplify many factors which I’m not too familiar with. Both Kiss and Sleep On Latex use great quality material so I’m confident either one of them will take good care of me. Can you tell me a bit more on the customization “before and after purchase”? I know they have 3 firmness to choose from but based on my BMI and being mainly a side sleeper, do you suggest any other customizations? Sleep On Latex recommends the soft version, will it provide the necessary suppourt or should I try the medium version due to the hight BMI? I’ll wait for your knowledgeable response again before placing the order. Thanks again.

Edit: the 2 local manufacturers I was referring to are flexus comfort and foam sweet foam, both are members here but the high quality fully customizable mattresses were just too expensive for my budget and PPP value. I’m not good at making decisions so more options isn’t a good thing for me. Also the serenity mattress from Arizona Premium is at http://sedonasleep.com/serenity-bed-in-a-box/ I saw some other members who also has their own mattresses with this name.

Hi datwundude.

I am glad you got in touch with Scott to take advantage of the SOL coupon, and yes both SleepEZ and SleepOnLatex use good quality/value materials within their mattresses that would be suitable for high weight ranges.

More and more mattresses are available as a “component-style” system where the layers are not glued and swappable, even split, and configurable before and after purchase. Depending on the mattress design, the “before purchase” part allows the customer to select the type of material (Blended, natural, synthetic, or specialty foams) and firmness (XS, S, M, MF, F, XF) of the layers within the mattress to achieve different comfort levels. The “after purchase” part would allow the customer to fine-tune their mattress by unzipping and opening the mattress cover/encasement to remove one or more layers within the mattress in order to exchange them for different firmness levels without shipping the entire unit back to the retailer/manufacturer. The largest advantage to the component-style system is the ability to customize, replace, and rearrange layers over time to create different comforts or to replace worn out uppermost layer (which usually undergoes the most mechanical stress and is the softest layer within a system). Component-style systems are usually much easier to ship and have layers that can be shipped in separate boxes, but you would need to assemble those on your own. Usually mattressess that are customizable only “before purchase” are made by manufacturers who can “tailor” a mattress to suit particular customer needs (feel, comfort, size, etc.) and are delivered as finished products that cannot be opened and further customized and are more stable (tufted, custom made mattresses for RVs. etc. ) You can read more about the pros and cons of “finished mattresses” that generally have glued layers vs component mattresses with unglued layers and a zip cover in post #15 here and post #2 here.

SOL’s suggestion makes sense for side sleepers. Heavier people, in general, will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. SOL Dunlop is a very durable material but they’ve recently changed the firmness of the top layer for their Pure Green soft version so I suggest that you call once more and make sure that they’ve taken into account your high BMI when they make their recommandation. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

The specifications for each of the two options you are considering from SOL are
SOL’s Pure Green Medium Option
2" 20 ILD (of 4 lb/ft[sup]3[/sup]) Dunlop top comfort layer
6" 30 ILD (of 4.9 lb/ft[sup]3[/sup]) Dunlop support layer
… (medium 9" proving to be a better solution for a combo sleeper that spends time on their side and occasionally their back.)
SOL’s Pure Green Soft Option
2" 20 ILD (of 4 lb/ft[sup]3[/sup]) Dunlop top comfort layer 65 kg/m[sup]3[/sup]
6" 22 ILD(of 4.4lb/ft[sup]3[/sup]) Dunlop support layer
…(better choice for a side sleeper)

Of course… Sedona mattress completely slipped my mind, I was totally zooming in on Mattresses.net Thanks for the reminder. :wink:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you again for the additional information. I ordered the medium firm one from Sleep on Latex and it should be arriving at the end of this week or early next week. I will let you know once I get a chance to try it out and fingers crossed that I’ve made a right choice. Thank you again for everything.

Hi datwundude.

Congratulation on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: Thanks for the update!

Yes… hopefully the firmness choice is the right one for you and no furher twitchiing is needed. (Fingers crossed :slight_smile: )

SOL is using high quality and durable materials and have great customer service as well … I am sure they’ll take good care of you either way.

I am looking forward to any updates you might have once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

I’ve referenced this site dozens of times in my search for a mattress. So helpful. Thank you.

I have a weird story that involves chronic illness (think fibromyalgia) and unusual sleeping arrangements, like a sofa from the 1800s. Before that was a decade of happiness with a pillow top — I’m a lightweight side sleeper.

A couple months ago, I sold everything I owned and moved into “affordable housing.” I figured I’d spend $300-400ish on a twin foam bed-in-a-box. I figured I was easy to please.

I bought a Spoon Sleep for $500, which they consider a 5.8 on the firmness scale, and it felt to me like an 8.5. It hurt. They sent me a topper, but it got damaged along the way, and I returned the mattress without trying it. (Fantastic company, BTW.)

I slept on my friend’s Tuft & Needle, and it felt a little softer but still far too firm for my tenderness.

I then decided I want a real softie. I went to a new Nest showroom and bought the Alexander Signature Hybrid for $715 (with tax), but a tiny mistake made the system think my order was fulfilled, and I didn’t catch it for 2 whole weeks. I requested a discount for my trouble and was offered a free set of sheets — the same offer available to everyone online — and expedited shipping. I asked for a refund.

I thought I had seen them all, then I discovered CRaVE, a new(ish) company started by Amanda Grigg, who has a 15-year background in her family’s mattress business. It’s the first woman-owned bed-in-a-box I’ve run across! Also unusual, they have Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification and use partially soy-based foam. The Ultra Plush Hybrid Innerspring Mattress is said (by others) to be softer than the Alexander, and it’s unarguably cheaper — $600 minus any discount I can find. But it’s more innerspring than foam:

1.5" convoluted latex
1.5" memory foam
8" pocketed coils
1" polyfoam

My finger’s on the trigger, but I’m waiting on the full specs and wondering if I might be better off in the long-term with a $300ish foam mattress and a topper? I’d super appreciate thoughts or opinions because indecision has led to me to sleeping on a pile of neatly folded bedding, and it #%?&! sucks.

I see your reference to getting in touch with Scott for discount coupon for SOL. How could I get one? So glad to see you find this a worthy vendor. Still thrashing thru medium vs. firm but it’s starts to sound like medium from both SOL and this forum.

Hi moonunitann.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re correct … for the SOL code, you must email Scott (at) theMattressUnderground (dot) com.
I suggest you give SOL a call to help you with the final decision between medium and firm choices.
Aside from the fact that they are one of our Trusted Members that I think highly of ,they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else (including me) and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you.

Best of luck with your purchase!
I hope you’ll find some time to update us and let us know how it works out for you.

Phoenix

@ ThatMegRyanMovie
I’ll be moving your posting to a more appropriate new topic and notify you when answered.

Hi Phoenix,

I promised to come back to share my experience with the SOL Medium and it’s been about a week and I am enjoying it. It’s not too soft where I feel like I’m sinking into the mattress and as a side sleeper, I no longer waking up not being able to feel my arm underneath.

The only issue I have/had was with the shipping. SOL used FedEx Ground for the King mattress which was stuck at the FedEx facility when it arrived from Chicago to LA. After not seeing any updates in FedEx tracking for 2 days, I called them and was informed they would not delivery it with their truck due to the package being overweight (153 lb.). After numerous calls to FedEx and SOL, I was left with the option of either driving to the FedEx to pick up the mattress or they were going to send it back to SOL. These were the only option FedEx left me with before SOL could provide any solution. Not sure what could possibly caused this as I do not believe this is the 1st King mattress they shipped.

I do recommend this mattress to anyone looking for one. It is by far the most budget friendly latex mattress I could find which is also a trusted member here. Although only time will tell if it’s truly durable enough to support my weight and sleeping habits but I do enjoy this mattress very much so. If you’re thinking of ordering the King sized one, I would suggest contacting them after you place the order to make sure they’re not using FedEx Ground.
https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/40388/tempsnip.jpg

Thanks! I made my way to Scott. Certainly will post results. Have already phone and email discussed med vs firm with SOL. Leaning toward med.

[color=black]Hello! New poster here, so apologies if I’m not posting in the right place. After reading as much as I could on this website, we ordered an original Purple mattress (2" of purple stuff, foam below; NOT the new one with springs) about 2 months ago, but it’s not working out. We’ve still got a month left on our trial period so I thought I’d ask for some recommendations before I returned the Purple and blindly ordered a different brand.

The Purple seemed comfortable at first, but is a little too soft and I am quite achy when I wake up every morning. It also runs hotter than our old mattress.

We both alternate between side and back sleeping, are both late 30s, and are both on the short side but around 200lbs ea. Old mattress was one of the higher-end Ikea mattresses (latex and memory foam, I believe), we had it for 9 years and loved it but it developed significant craters and was no longer supportive. They don’t make that particular mattress any more, and we didn’t like any of the current Ikea mattresses (too firm or too soft, nothing in the middle).

Other than the Purple, we had also considered the OSO, the KISS, and the Sedona. I would also consider going with one of the firmer Ikea mattresses and adding a topper, since we liked our previous one so much. Would like to stay under $1200 for a king. We don’t need a box spring; we have a slatted-base platform bed. Any suggestions are appreciated!
[/color]

Everyone’s comfort will be subjective of course, but I ended up happy with the Silk and Snow.

I tried an Endy which was WAY too soft, a Polysleep that was too hard, and found the S’n’S just right.

Their customer service is outstanding, and they meet the minimum requirements as suggested here on the Mattress Underground.

Cheers!

Isn’t Silk and Snow using a 2.7lb. memory foam in their mattress?

S’n’S uses 4lb of real memory foam for their top layer, while the support layer is 2.7lb polyfoam (quite high density; I believe the minimum suggested for polyfoam support is 2lb, but the forums here can confirm that for you).

Deleted

According to the Silk & Snow website they use a transition layer of 2.7 lb foam under the upper layer of 4 lb memory foam, but its base support layer is actually 1.8 lb. density foam.

Hi datwundude.

[indent] Congratulations on your Sleep On Latex (our Trusted Member) mattress purchase! :lol:
Thanks for sharing your experience with with them… I am glad you are enjoying your new mattress and sorry to hear about the set back with the FedEx shipment. Thanks though for your caution and recommendation connected with king size beds shippements in Post #4 here.
I hope you’ll have some time to update us after you have a chance to sleep on it for a while longer…[/indent]

To moonunitann

Thanks for your update, I hope your SOL mattress in on the way…Let us know what frimness you’ve decided on. As you know Sleep On Latex is one of our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency…

To strangerousanya …Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:
I am sorry that your Purple mattress does not work out for you, but the good news is that there are quite a few good options in your price range all with good and durable materials. Al the specs for OSO, KISS, and Sedona are listed in Post #2 here, and depending on your needs, preferences, and BMI they would all be good options to consider.

Here are a few latex or latex hybrid options that may be also worth considering, within your budget range around $1200 from our Trusted Members (I am not sure if you crossed out the innerspring option from your list but just in case you do I’ll include those as well)

[indent]SleepEZ has several options here
Arizona Premium Mattress has some options here and here and here
Luma Sleep has a Talalay/Innerspring mattress here
Flexus has a dual sided and dual firmness latex mattress here .
My Green Mattress has an all latex and a latex/pocket coil hybrid here
Sleep On Latex has two latex mattresses here .
Sedona Sleep has a two piece polyfoam/Talalay latex base mattress/topper combination here
Latex Mattress Factory has a 7" latex mattress here …[/indent]

Aside from this I would make sure to revisit the mattress shopping tutorial here(there is a condensed version of it at the end of that post) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.
When assessing any product and before making any purchase also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

To seanpatrick, Napper @ Sweet Dreams

[indent]Thanks for chiming in! :slight_smile: … Silk & Snow was recently discussed and responded directly on our forum about oam spec “changes” confusion in post #14 here.

In case strangerousanya is considering this option I am listing the mattress specs as confirmed by S&S
2" of 4 lb Memory Foam
2" of 2.7 lb Responsive High-Performance Poly Foam
6" of 1.8 lb Support Polyfoam
Polyester/Spandex/Silver Infused Zipper Cover

The 2.7lb transition foam is one of the high-performance poly-foams of higher densities which was formulated to have viscoelastic properties (See post #2 here) I would place a slight caution for the higher weight ranges due to the 4 lb of memory foam in the upper layer of the mattress.[/indent]

Phoenix