Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Hi Phoenix!
I’m not sure where our previous comments went, but I remember what was said!

As for my previous/current mattress, it is a Sealy Copper Mountain, it may be one of the original models, as I can’t find information on it online. It is a bennel coil with a pillow top. Like I mentioned before, it feels like the coils have given out, and provides little to no support in the back. I have tried to figure out how to show this, and the best I can do is put a series of weights on the bed, as seen here.

So, as previously mentioned, I talked about the two main beds I have been looking at, the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora, and Helix Luxe Twilight, I have more information about them to ask about.
I have also looked at the Nest Alexander Signature, as I know it is built by the same folks who build Brooklyn Bedding mattresses.

As for the specs I have been looking at the “firmer” options of the respective mattresses, as that seems to be better for someone with a higher BMI such as myself.

Brooklyn Bedding Aurora:
3.5lb 12ILD Titan FlexFoam with Phase change material
3.5lb 36ILD TitanFlex foam
3lb Swirl Visco Elastic Foam
612 Ascension X™ pocketed coils Not zoned 15 Gauge

Helix Luxe Twilight:
1.5 inch memory foam on the top layer 2.5lb
1 inch gel visco. 2.5lb
1 inch firm polyfoam 2.5lb
756 support coils
Perimeter, Top + Bottom: 88 coils (16 gauge, 10 turn fabric encased coils)
Perimeter, Sides: 188 coils (16 gauge, 10 turn fabric encased coils)
Head + Foot: 260 coils (14 gauge, 5 turn fabric encased coils)
Center: 220 coils (17 gauge, 10 turn fabric encased coils)

So, as posted here It seems that since I have a higher BMI, around 38 I need more support, hence the firmer models. The Brooklyn Bedding has higher density foam, but less coils, and they are not zoned. The Helix has less dense foam, which may not hold up as long, but has zoned coils, and more of them.

Looking at the previous posts about the Helix, it seems they changed the materials used, so I am not sure that helped too much, however, seeing people talking about their hips sinking on the Aurora has given me a slight pause. What are your thoughts?

Hey Venture,

Good to see you back at the Mattress Underground :slight_smile: .

As you and some of our regular consumer subscribers have noticed, we currently have a few “orphaned” post comments hiding from view and are working hard to correct the problem. The TMU forum is undergoing some site improvements and we’ll be talking more about those soon. Phoenix and the TMU team are working in the background, adding updates and once the other posts are restored, we will be back with the previous comments as well as review your question.

Thanks,
Sensei

As my post seems to be an orphan, ill just sum up by saying i swapped the BB aurora firm for the medium firm, waiting on it to arrive.

Despite being the best sleep in years, i was having upper left leg pain, and some back pain still. It may have been to firm so we shall try med.

If this doesn’t work, next step is on to purple unless anyone has another reccomendation.

Hey everyone, I wanted to first thank you all for having this resource available, as I would have probably been spinning in circles much longer than I have been while trying to make a purchase of this nature. I have had my current mattress for over a decade, and it is at the point where someone, upon sitting on it said that it felt like there was a “void” in the middle. I think it may explain my back pain and headaches, so I need to get a new one.

To start off, I am looking at getting a twin, I am about 5’ 10" and about 265lbs. I sleep on my side and back My budget is around $1000, though it is somewhat flexible with the budget and financing.

I started searching for a mattress, going to stores and whatnot, however, COVID-19 caused it all to shut down before I could go everywhere in town. However, I was able to narrow down some things by going to stores. I think I prefer a hybrid over a pure foam bed. I was not able to try a latex mattress out, but I am worried, as in my younger years I would have a reaction to pool floats, so I am not sure if I would have a reaction on a latex mattress, I am more than willing to try it though.

Honestly, I am not sure how long I will be using this mattress, as I hope to move and need a bigger mattress in the near future, but with everything going on, who knows.

As for what I have found, I have narrowed it down, I think to one of the Helix Luxe, either midnight or dusk. I have also seen the Brooklyn Aurora mentioned a good deal.
I know, generally what they are made of, and would seem to be similar to hybrids I have tried in stores.
Again, I am more than willing to try a latex hybrid mattress or one that may be more environmentally friendly, but as I said, I am worried about potential reactions.

What do you think of the mattresses I mentioned? What others should I be looking at that may be of better quality?

Also, sorry, forgot to mention, in regards to the Helixx options, they have zoned lumbar support with their coils, does that make that much of a difference?

Hi Venture!

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

We are glad to have you with us on The Mattress Underground. You’ve definitely come to the right place!

If you are sinking more than before, this could be the reason for your lower back issues (sinking in too deeply and not providing adequate alignment). But this is a generalization and without seeing your product and how it performs I can’t be too specific in my conclusions.

In your case, the high 38 BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high-quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people, in general, will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. It is worth reading Post #3 has more information and suggestions about mattresses for heavier weights.

As a brief synopsis, higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress. For polyurethane foam, if your mattress is one-sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher. For memory foam (or gel memory foam), if your mattress is one-sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two-sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

Considering a hybrid foam over an all-foam mattress is a personal preference, but I would not take the foam or latex out of the equation only because you are not sure if you would have a reaction on a foam mattress for several reasons. 1 you may not actually be allergic to the mattress foams or latex (the products you are considering have foams) and 2. You may find that the feel of latex is something you like very much. I am not sure what you may have reacted to in the past with the pool floats but typically they are not made of the type of foams used in a mattress or latex rubber but are made either of vinyl or from closed cell foam, PVC (polyvinyl chloride) which It’s a form of plastic. Here is an excerpt from an interesting article from American Home Shield.

You were saying also that …

[quote]As for what I have found, I have narrowed it down, I think to one of the Helix Luxe, either midnight or dusk. I have also seen the Brooklyn Aurora mentioned a good deal.
I know, generally what they are made of, and would seem to be similar to hybrids I have tried in stores.[/quote]

I am not sure what you’ve read since you found our site but the two main areas of focus when purchasing a mattress are: 1. determining how long you will sleep well on your mattress and then 2. how well you sleep on your mattress. The first thing to focus upon is learning about mattress componentry and how to go about selecting a mattress. To do that, I recommend that you start by reading the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones. I know that the COVID restrictions now make it difficult to go out and test mattresses, feel of materials and support levels you may need but I’d say that as with such an important purchase in terms of wellbeing I’d make sure that you take your time and do not leave stones unturned. When the companies do not list on the density or layer thickness, I’d first try to find this by email and chat directly from the company or try to find if other stores or consumers that have these specific mattresses have this detailed information listed. Once you determine the detailed specifications and check them against the mattress durability guidelines for a 30+ BMI, you can make a determination as to how long you will reasonably expect to sleep well on this mattress … or feel free to paste them and I or any other TMU expert or moderator will be happy to comment upon them.

Brooklyn Aurora has been previously discussed in Post #13 here that you may wish to look at.
specs for Helix Luxe mattressHere are some provided in May 2019 by another consumer. Also may wish to have a look at an older post of a high BMI consumer’s experience with Helix Luxe.

Generally, what" to choose in terms of either a mattress or the balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment that may be suitable for a specific person is always up to the only person who can feel what they feel on a mattress and best left to personal testing and your own experiences or more detailed discussions with the more knowledgeable people at the retailers or manufacturers that sell a mattress you are considering. We are all very unique in what we each need and prefer. Some field testing would greatly simplify your search and help you make the best possible choices, but I’d make sure to find out exactly what is in the mattress, layering and densities in terms of on suitability, durability, and consider them against all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I’m looking forward to finding out where your mattress journey takes you … and of course, any additional comments or questions you may have along the way that I or any of the Expert members of the site can help with.

Phoenix

Thank you Sensi for your detailed reply, i purchased a firm my pillow and it seems to be working well. After several months of wishing, im finally faced with the sad truth that while the Brooklyn aurora firm is the best sleep ive had in 2 years+ its still not good enough to keep. I have numb/soreness issues with my right leg that persists all day, and the longer i sleep (8 or 9 hours vs 5 or 6) the worse my back feels when i wake up. Still worlds better than my budget memory foam or Brooklyn aurora matresses, but not worth the money. I need something that leaves me in 0 pain.

Initially i had shoudler pain from side sleeping, but a memory foam topper seems to have solved that.

So ive contacted BB again to see if they think i should try the medium firm, or just move on to another company. As the previous poster said, Covid makes matress shopping basically impossible in store, so my next thought if i dont try BB medium, is to look into savata or purple? After seeing the former charges a fee to return it, im less inclined to give them a try, but a good purple matress is pricey.

Any thoughts?

Take care.

Hey WTBSleepSev,

Welcome back to the TMU forum and thanks for the update :slight_smile: .

I’m sorry to hear that you continue experiencing on-going back and leg pain issues still after the past several mattresses you have tried. We’ve been chatting back and forth regarding your discomfort since your earlier days of a painful memory foam mattress and unsuccessful attempts to find something more like your preference of a pillowtop innerspring mattress.

Congrats on solving the shoulder pain with the additional memory foam topper! Which one are you using and what do you like about the “feel” it adds to your current mattress?

Indeed, the COVID19 situation currently prevents store visits in most areas of the country for good reason: to lower the risk of exposure to virus. Understandably, you must be extremely frustrated, given the time and research you have spent seeking a solution for better sleep. That said, you still face the same challenges of “testing” a product sight unseen. Consider a resource offering consulting support during the research process, a generous sleep trial period and free exchanges/ returns within a reasonable period. As you mentioned, Saatva charges a $99 fee for an exchange/ return within a 120 day sleep trial period, while Purple offers one free comfort exchange or return during their 100 day sleep trial. Both companies have customer service lines for helping you make choices among their products. You may also want to search the TMU forum to see what other consumers are saying regarding these brands, there are posts out there on both Saatva and Purple.

As far as whether you should exchange your current BB mattress for a different firmness, I would rather not comment on what would be “better” for you in terms of PPP, a uniquely individual experience; however, you do have a fair idea of what their mattresses have to offer given the ones you’ve recently tried. Looking forward to hearing more as you continue your research and be safe out there… :slight_smile: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi,

I am not sure this is the right place to ask for advice but it seems fitting and I cannot for the life of me find out how to post a new topic.
I need advice choosing a mattress.

I’m 5’11 280 lbs with wide shoulders.

I am mostly a side sleeper but also a back sleeper (I would say 70/30).

I sleep alone.

I usually prefer softer feelings beds but I need support. I would rather it be a cool mattress but it isn’t a big deal if it’s not. Not a fan of all foam, looking for more of a hybrid feel but could go with anything really.

I have been looking at several beds and would like your input on them and if you think they are quality or a good fit for me. If you have your own suggestions or need more info feel free to ask.

Here are the beds I had my eye on :

• Winkbeds Luxury Firm

• Winkbeds Plus

• Helix +

• Helix Twilight Luxe

• Purple Hybrid 3 (or 4 if need be but it is expensive)

• Nest Bedding Alexander Signature Hybrid (Medium or luxury firm)

• Brooklyn Bedding Aurora

I see there are allot of brands on here that are not usually reviewed on the usual popular sites. I am open to any suggestions for those brands also or any that would meet my needs.

I want to pull the trigger pretty soon since my current bed is causing me lots of back pain because it provides no support at all.

Thank you for any help provided!

For innerspring hybrid beds, how does Haven and Logan & Cove compare to Winklebed, Saatva or Bear?

Hey tkang87,

Welcome to the TMU Forum and thanks for your question :slight_smile: !

I noticed that you posted a similar question with a bit more detail to Memory Foam Comfort’s forum space. To ensure that your post has the best visibility for others to weigh in, I’m adding that question here and removing it from the second location:

tkang87, that’s quite a few mattresses you’re researching; perhaps you can give some background on what other mattresses you have enjoyed previously, what your preferences are for materials, size mattress and any other information that would be helpful in understanding your needs. As I always do for any consumer beginning the mattress journey, I highly recommend reading TMU’s Mattress Shopping Tutorial, Finding Your Perfect Mattress, and The Basic Functions of a Mattress as a good starting point in your research. Also, you will find the Search feature on the site to be helpful for viewing other consumer’s thoughts/ experiences by brand mention. Looking forward to hearing more…

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks Sensei…

1. what other mattresses you have enjoyed previously?

I’ve enjoyed sleeping on the Sealy Fairmont Proback and still own it… it’s been about 6 or 7 years now.

1. what your preferences are for materials?
    Looking for a hybrid with organic/mix based foam with gel foam to stay relatively cool.

2. size mattress and any other information that would be helpful in understanding your needs? We’re looking for a queen size mattress, since a full/double is too small for my gf and I now.

Hey LeKrang,

Welcome to the TMU forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Sorry that you had trouble creating a new topic for your post. For future reference and in case other consumers have the same issue, from the General Mattresses Questions page, look for the green “New Topic” button on the left side and just above the pinned Subject conversations. Click that and begin by creating a meaningful name for your question in the Subject line, followed by your question(s) int the Message area. Next, check the “Subscribe” box at the bottom to receive email notifications when someone replies to your question. Finally, click “Submit” and you are good to go!

[quote]I’m 5’11 280 lbs with wide shoulders…I am mostly a side sleeper but also a back sleeper (I would say 70/30)…I sleep alone…I usually prefer softer feelings beds but I need support. I would rather it be a cool mattress but it isn’t a big deal if it’s not. Not a fan of all foam, looking for more of a hybrid feel but could go with anything really…I have been looking at several beds and would like your input on them and if you think they are quality or a good fit for me. If you have your own suggestions or need more info feel free to ask.
Here are the beds I had my eye on : Winkbeds Luxury Firm, Winkbeds Plus, Helix +, Helix Twilight Luxe, Purple Hybrid 3 (or 4 if need be but it is expensive), Nest Bedding Alexander Signature Hybrid (Medium or luxury firm), Brooklyn Bedding Aurora[/quote]

For any consumer beginning their mattress shopping process, I highly recommend some background research by reviewing these TMU articles: Mattress Shopping Tutorial, Finding Your Perfect Mattress, and The Basic Functions of a Mattress as a good starting point. It sounds like you’ve decided on a hybrid mattress style as your preference; with your BMI on the higher side, carefully review the durability guidelines of mattresses you are considering to better narrow your choices, you may find this Mattress Durability Guidelinesarticle helpful. Also, you will find the Search feature on the site useful too as there is much discussion on the forum regarding the mattresses you mention. Good luck and keep us posted on your research…

Thanks,
Sensei

Sensei - Sorry, but I accessed the General Mattress Questions page you linked to and don’t see any such green “New Topic” button on the left side just above the pinned Subject conversations. The only two buttons I see there are in dark blue: “Mark Topics Read” and “Subscribe”.

[quote=“Sweet Dreams” post=84699]Sensei - Sorry, but I accessed the General Mattress Questions page you linked to and don’t see any such green “New Topic” button on the left side just above the pinned Subject conversations. The only two buttons I see there are in dark blue: “Mark Topics Read” and “Subscribe”.
[/quote]

Same thing here.

Hey LeKrang and Sweet Dreams,

My apologies to you both as the “New Topic” functionality is currently disabled for now. After checking in with our support team, they reassured me that the situation is temporary while the site is undergoing some maintenance in the background. For now LeKrang, your questions are best located here in the General Mattress Questions Forum where you have posted them, all consumer subscribers and trusted members can view and answer them anytime. For questions regarding a specific TMU trusted member’s products and/ or expertise, we ask that those questions be directed to the "Ask an Expert"Forum space. I can certainly understand how in the absence of the “New Topic” function that finding the best spot to ask a question may be a bit confusing for now…in case other new consumer subscribers are following this post, the best advice for now is to search related topics, find one most closely related to the question you have and post from there. Again, my apologies on the technical issue, we’ll get that up and running again soon. Hope this helps :slight_smile: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi, this is the closest topic I could find to my question.

Any thoughts on the FLIP by Nest Bedding?
https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Bedding-Amazon-Exclusive-CertiPUR-US-Warranty/dp/B07NYVP8KS

I’m attracted to this bed because:

1. My budget is only $500.
  2. Nest is a Mattress Underground member (unfortunately, there’s not an expert from them that I can direct the question to).
  3. It’s a two-sided mattress.
  4. I can’t go out and try mattresses normally right now because of the pandemic, and it’s less likely I’ll have a firmness issue b/c there’s both a “medium” and “firm” side.

The major downside I see is that the trial period is 30 days.

I’m 115 lbs and waiting for the full-size to come into stock. Planning on buying this platform bed to put the mattress on: Amazon.com

Thanks!

Best,
Nick

Hey Nick,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

You came to the right place, Nick; happy to help out here. As one of the TMU’s Trusted Members, Nest Beddingis a quality manufacturer whose experience, products and service I think highly of. We spoke with the NB team directly regarding the FLIP mattress (an Amazon Exclusive product) and below in three quotes are their replies to your questions.

“Our Amazon return policy is 30 days from the date a product is received. This is to align with standard Amazon return policy requirements.”

“We were encountering technical difficulties on our Amazon listings recently, but it seems that the FLIP is now back in stock so they may purchase that mattress whenever it is convenient for them.”

“The Zinus platform bed frame will work just fine for our Amazon FLIP mattress, as our mattress policy requires at least 4” in between each bed frame slat, and that one’s listing confirms it has 3" between each slat."

If you do decide to give them a try, keep in touch and let us know how things go. Would love to hear your thoughts on the FLIP after your initial sleep trial period.

Cheers,
Sensei

Thanks, Sensei! I won’t be moving into a new apartment until the end of the pandemic, but I’ll keep you updated if I buy the bed.

Well, i’ve had the BB medium firm Aurora for over 2 months now, and ive slept with and without the topper. The leg pain (which i think is sciatica) is still a factor, and while sleeping on my back seems to lend the best result, when I wake up, I am still not fully satisfied. I still have some stiffness. It is an improvement on the firm I believe, but I just dont think its worth keeping. I will probably be looking into the 3" purple hybrid soon.

Also, my in laws have a pure foam mattress, which after 1 night of “sleep” wildly re-enforced how much I hate pure foam.