Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Hi Leesee,

While I wasn’t a part of your phone conversation, the mattress chosen for you wasn’t because it was 12" (wasn’t chosen based upon thickness), but because at your weight it is what they felt provided enough material to provide adequate support and contouring, based upon the information you provided them and their extensive experience with their products and your BMI. The advice they provided certainly falls within the general guidelines for people with a higher BMI I provided to you previously.

Again I wasn’t a part of your conversation with Luma, so unless you mentioned that you were looking for something in a lower price range then I don’t know why price would have been brought up, as the componentry used in an all-latex certainly can work well for someone in a high BMI range. A product using a supportive innerspring unit can also work well. Which would work best for you would be up to your own personal preference and testing. There is no one perfect mattress.

Unless you are comparing products using the exact same componentry (or relatively close) to what you are comparing online, the comparisons will not be representative. The Reverie mattress is different in construction from anything you are comparing, so I would not use that as a comparison to anything but itself. Depending upon what all-latex configuration you tried out, it could be comparable to something you were considering from Arizona Mattress. But you’d need to know the specifications of all of the layers of foam contained within in order to make that determination.

Phoenix

Hi Ari,

As I mentioned previously, do not select a mattress based upon thickness. This tells you nothing except how high the product will be off of the floor. You need to focus upon the componentry on the inside.

That advice sounds reasonable and there’s certainly no reason a 3 layer all-latex mattress couldn’t work out well for you. And if you desired extra comfort a few years into the future, you could always add a latex topper.

Regardless of thickness, if the quality of componentry is poor, the product will fail.

Phoenix

It’s been quite a journey, so appreciate your advice along the way, Phoenix. I just ordered an all-latex from Luma and am excited to receive it. I’ll let you know how it feels once I’ve had time on it, but I’m confident that I’ve chosen well, and it’s certainly due to your site and your careful advice and cautionary words on choosing mattresses.

I crossed KISS off the list
Still in the running is luma and sleepez - I do worry about latex allergies though.

My dream bed is a nice dense contouring memory foam mattress with a 2.2lb base foam…why is this so hard to find?

I did want to ask you about the base of the Sedona sleep which is 1.9lb base foam - is that much difference then the norm of 1.8?

Thanks!

I cannot wait to hear all about it too :slight_smile: congrats on choosing one, I cannot decide on anything lol

Thank you, Ari! I promise to report back – and keep us posted on your progress with choosing.

Hi Leesee,

Congratulations on your new Luma mattress purchase! :cheer: You certainly did choose something using high quality materials, and I’ll be interested in learning about how things are going for you once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Hi Ari,

Most of the hundreds of pages of information online about latex allergies (and most of the concern as well) is with medical equipment … and particularly latex gloves … and there is not a great deal of information (or concern) with latex foam, at least for people who don’t have a type I latex sensitivity (in which case all natural latex should be avoided). It’s rather remarkable to me that in all the online and anecdotal information available, there are almost no reports of latex allergies regarding mattresses. There is quite a bit of detailed information about this in the latex allergy thread.

It’s slightly higher in density and a 31 ILD - a good quality polyfoam base core.

Phoenix

I know 2 people with latex allergies, one is a cousin. I had a one in million brain tumor! Nothing shocks me now.

Thanks Phoenix!

Hi Ari,

I’m sorry to hear about your brain tumor. If you feel that you may have a sensitivity to latex, I would strongly recommend a visit with your primary care physician to schedule a screening and testing with an allergist, just to be sure.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!
If the latex beds were the usual bed in a box where they come get it if you want to return it I would go for lol but since my husband would have to roll 3 queen size latex layers up in a plastic bags, squish them in a box and haul them in a cab to ups immediately I’d rather be sure
I know I don’t have a skin reaction to latex, I don’t know if that means I surely don’t have the more serious allergy? I tried to call some local allergists today they were not helpful other then to want 2 copays instead of just one lol

Hi Ari,

A proper clinical diagnosis would include a medical history, physical exam and skin testing and/or serologic testing. This sheet from the American Latex Allergy Association is quite interesting and worth a read, and is complete in its description of the different types of reactions and testing methodologies.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I just wanted to give an update on my decision and experience. In the end, I decided on trying out the arctic dreams medium rather than going for the higher priced eight smart mattress.

As mentioned, I’m a side sleeper 70% of the time and the rest I’m on my back mostly. I’m 5’2 and 115lbs.

I get lower back pain, shoulder, and neck pain often. After getting the mattress, my lower back pain went away almost immediately. After about 30 days of sleep on it, my neck and shoulders continued to be sore. I normally sleep on a buckwheat pillow and switched to just sleeping on a towel folded up so I could have more control over the height of my neck support. In the end, the bed seemed still a little too firm for side sleeping.

The service at dreamfoam bedding was impeccable and they offered to send me a free mattress topper, which essentially made my mattress equivalent to their medium soft offering. I am currently trying that one out now and will see if my neck and shoulders get a bit better!

Thanks again for all your help - sleep is so important and you really helped make a difference in my life!

Thank you Phoenix!

Hi squidgette,

Thank you for the update, and congratulations on your new Arctic Dreams mattress! :cheer: You certainly chose something that offers a good value. And I’m happy that Dreamfoam is working with you to assist with a bit of extra pressure point relief for your shoulder. I’m not sure that the towel is the best choice for a pillow, but I understand your goals with that.

I’m looking forward to your (hopefully positive) future updates!

Phoenix

Hi there,

I’m also just getting into the mattress research game and I’ve found your site & forum to be incredibly helpful so thanks in advance.

I was just wondering if you had heard anything about a bed-in-a-box manufacturer called Hamuq. I’ve seen their name on a few sites, but I can’t seem to find much about them. They offer a pocket-coil design, and their website says that they have a layer of memory foam on top, but it’s frustratingly vague (red flag for me).

Any thoughts? Apparently they’ve only been in business since Q4 2016, but they advertise that all materials/manufacturing is done in Canada. Thanks!

Their website is www.hamuq.com

Hello Taereyn,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

No, I’m not personally familiar with Hamuq, and as you stated they have little meaningful information on their web site. If you are able to find out the information listed here and post it back on the site, I’ll do my best to comment upon the componentry within the mattress.

Phoenix

Hey Taereyn, they are a relatively newer company, but the guys who started it have been in the mattress industry a while, and the designer/head of mfg was making mattresses since he was 14 (he’s like 46 now or something) so lots of experience

If you ask them they’ll tell you whats in the mattress, but what i’ve gathered is 1" of gel memory foam 3lbs density, 2" biofoam 1.8lbs density, 1" quilted pillow top polyester 1.5lbs comfort foam. base support system is individually wrapped pocket coils, i think 980 in the queen, 15 gauge canadian steel coils, biofoam encasement 1.8lbs density, then another 1/2" of foam 1.8lbs density holding the top and bottom of the encasement.

Hi RedBaron5293,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your input on the Hamuq mattress. From what I’ve been able to gather, the specifications are, top to bottom:
1" 1.5 lb polyfoam quilted to the cover
2" 1.8 lb polyfoam
1.5" 3 lb memory foam
Pocketed spring unit, 980 spring count queen with 1.8 lb encasement
.5" 1.8 lb polyfoam base
This differs slightly from your description (memory foam layer thickness).

Are you referring to Jordan and Nate? I’ve not been able to locate information about them except that they are “local entrepreneurs” who started Hamuq and their mailing address is the same as the Cube Innovation Cluster in Peterborough. You seem to have a bit of information about Hamuq that isn’t (easily) publicly available. Are you affiliated with Hamuq in any way (is this Jordan)? I’m appreciative of the information you’re providing, but the forum rules require you to disclose if you have any relationship with any company discussed on the forum. As you seem to be familiar with the company, can you provide information about who fabricates the mattresses for Hamuq?

Thanks for helping contribute information to the Mattress Forum! :cheer:

Phoenix

First post here. There is so much information here, my head is about to explode! Thanks, Phoenix.

Just noticed another Bed in a Box newcomer. www.matsleep.com $599 for a Queen, includes latex as the top layer and tencel as the cover. Only could find one review on YouTube. 365 Test period. I don’t see any affiliate marketing stuff.

Any thoughts or ideas about this mattress/company? Are they using real latex?Are they associated with any of the members of TMU? Would also love to know what the ILDs are for each layer, etc.

I am sort of thinking if it sounds too good to be true………