Simplified Choice Mattresses aka Disruptors, Bed In A Box, One Choice Fits All, Universal Comfort, Millennial Mattresses

Phoenix, thanks for the PDF version: consider my needs fully met!

The truncation I am seeing is solely on Part 2 of the Simplified Choice article, and is the only portion of that web page which shows truncated. See enclosed text and table screen shots to get an idea of what I see. The text is hard to guess as the display truncation cuts off about 10-12 words at a time. The table cuts off within column 3 out of 6 columns. I have no suggestions as why Part 2 doesn’t display as well as Part 1 but I surely appreciate your sharing your thoughts by PDF to make up for it.

Hopefully the screenshots attached are useful. Thanks again!

Hi denverdoug,

Thank you very much! I’m working on this issue right now so I’m hoping to have a solution soon. I appreciate you taking the time to post your attachment of what you are seeing.

I’m glad the .pdf was helpful!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m wondering if you know anything about the eight sleep mattress?
https://www.eightsleep.com/buy-eight-mattress/

These are the specs that they gave me;
2" Synthetic Latex 3lb 12 ILD
2" Visco 4lb 11 ILD (memory foam)
2" 1.8 Foam 22 ILD (memory foam)
4" 1.8 Foam 35 ILD (memory foam)

i’m looking at a queen sized mattress and they are selling at $819 after a 22% discount coupon.
I’m comparing them with tuft & needle and arctic dream.

I’m 5’2, about 120lbs and sleep on my side about 70% of the time and the rest I mainly sleep on my back

What do you think of eight mattress? They also come with all these high tech features but the most important thing for me is whether the mattress itself is any good (enough support through a 12 hour night of sleep - I sleep a lot)

Thank you!

Hi squidgette,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The Eight Sleep mattress hasn’t been discussed before on the forum, so thanks of bringing them up.

While I’m not personally familiar with the mattress, I can make a few general comments.

Your specifications are a bit incorrect. The top layer is one of the new breed of what I term “high performance" polyfoams, and it is 2” of 12 ILD 3 lb density. They list is as “latex-like” on their web site, and in another section they list it (incorrectly) as “synthetic latex”, but it is polyfoam, Beneath that is 2" of 11 ILD 4 lb memory foam. Under this is a 2" piece of 22 ILD 1.8 lb poly foam and then a 4" piece of 35 ILD 1.8 lb polyfoam (these two layers are not memory foam as you had listed). These would be good quality materials and for your BMI there would be no obvious “weak links” in the mattress. I would provide a caution for someone in the “above 200 pounds or so range” with the 1.8 lb support core and the 4 lb memory foam.

Eight Sleep has a focus on their mattress cover for measuring temperature, heart rate, respiration and movement and then works to connect to other smart home devices such as lights, thermostats, coffee machines, etc. It collects your data and combines it with the data they collect worldwide in an attempt to develop a “sleep algorithm”. Here are a few of their patents.

While I can certainly help with “how” to pick out a mattress, the only way to know for certain whether any specific combination of materials will be suitable for you or which ones you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial ) or your own personal sleeping experience because different people with different body types, sleeping styles, sensitivities, and circumstances can have very different experiences or opinions about whether the same mattress provides “enough” comfort for their own personal preference.

If you do end up purchasing one of these mattresses, I’ll look forward to your comments on it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for the reply. Your analysis was very helpful. I think I am going to go try out tuft and needle’s mattress since they have a showroom in the Bay area.

Because all three mattresses are in a different price range (200, 600, and 800), I’m just wondering how the quality of their material compare.

Quite honestly, it has been a toss up between the arctic dream and eight. I feel like either I will go all out with all the bells and whistle for eight’s technology or I will go with a solid basic. I was a little worried at how arctic dream makes it possible to have a high-quality mattress at a $200 price point so I was hoping to get some feedback on how their materials compare.

thank you!

Hi squidgette,

You’re welcome.

You didn’t specify which Arctic Dreams model you’re comparing, but they use 3 lb. Energex high-performance polyfoam in 2"-3" over a conservatively classified 1.55 lb. polyfoam core (specs out to 1.75 lb.). Overall, the Arctic Dreams is a great quality/value choice and you’d be hard pressed to find better quality/density materials in a mattress in this lower budget range.

There’s more information about the Tuft & Needle and many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Just wanted to point out here my experience trying to get information from OSOsleep. Their online chat has not been functional for at least a couple of weeks. I’ve failed to get a hold of a rep on the phone in 3 tries. To be fair, they give the option to leave a message and supposedly get a call back. I never tried that, but the recording mentions [email protected]. I emailed them yesterday with no response over 24 hours later. I’m probably too impatient, but I was ready to buy now and ended up getting a Bear mattress.

I’ve had very easy experiences with Brooklyn Bedding, Kiss, Addable, Dreamfoam, Bear, and Purple, including quick email responses from BB, Addable, and Dreamfoam.

Hi mitchelcole,

Thank you for your update regarding OSO Sleep. After reading your comments I contacted them with your concerns and they did indeed discontinue their chat option some time ago, but they missed and forgot to remove one of the CHAT icons on their FAQ page. They were thankful that you pointed this out to them. Regarding reaching them, phoning and leaving a message is still the fastest option (I know you said you didn’t leave a message when you phoned them), as they are often busy handling other calls. Email replies do take longer for replies, and they suggested to use [email protected] or their phone at 888-888-4559. I’m sorry you weren’t able to speak with them in a timely manner for your decision-making process.

On the other side of things, congratulations on the purchase of your new Bear mattress! :cheer: I’ll look forward to your comments about the product once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix! I’m glad you were able to notify OSO Sleep of their chat remnant! I was hoping to keep any poly materials at least 2 lbs, but the celliant cover of the Bear mattress was just too tempting. I can’t seem to get used to the latex in BB #BME, so hopefully going in another direction will hit the spot.

Hi mitchellcole,

They were very appreciative of your “heads up”. Thanks for taking the time to post about that.

Here’s hoping!

Phoenix

Hi,

Thanks for the bevy of information on this website. I’ve read through everything and will likely be visiting a local shop on your member list shortly. However, I was wondering if you’ve heard anything or could comment on the ‘Douglas’, which appears to be a new bed in a box mattress made by Novosbed to compete with Endy’s lower price point (and heavily play on Canadian nationalism based on their marketing). I’m curious if it’s any better than the Endy given that Novosbed is a member here and your comments on their products were more favourable than the Endy.

The website is here: https://www.douglasbed.ca/

And the FAQ section states:
“Doulgas mattresses are made with Canadian-built foams and fabrics. The top 2” comfort layer is made of ecoLight™ cooling gel foam, developed to be 50% less taxing on our environment but just as durable as high density memory foam. The middle 2" layer is made of Elastex™ foam to give the mattress just the right amount of bounce. The bottom 6" support foam isolates movement and provides better edge support. The washable cover is made from an eco-friendly Natural Eucalyptus Fabric™."

I’ve emailed them to ask for full specs for each layer, particular weight/densities and ILDs if available. Waiting to hear back but thought I’d see if you could weigh in with your knowledge of the brand and materials.

Edit: the specs I’ve been given are:

Top layer - 2" Luxury ecoLight™ Cooling Gel Foam - 2.5lbs and 10 ILD
Middle layer - 2" Premium Elastex™ Foam - 1.8 lbs and 11.5 ILD
Base layer - 6" Motion Isolation Support Foam - 1.8 lbs and 32 ILD

More info: I’m a 5’11 200 lbs side sleeper and my partner is a 5’5 120 lbs side sleeper.

Thanks!

Hi Mkreden,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Sorry, but I seem to have glanced over your post. :S

Ho[quote]
wever, I was wondering if you’ve heard anything or could comment on the ‘Douglas’, which appears to be a new bed in a box mattress made by Novosbed to compete with Endy’s lower price point (and heavily play on Canadian nationalism based on their marketing). I’m curious if it’s any better than the Endy given that Novosbed is a member here and your comments on their products were more favourable than the Endy.
[/quote]

You are correct, this is a new Canadian-only offering from Novosbed, and it is indeed Canadian-centric in the marketing, as well as some of the focus of the sourcing and production of materials.

You’re correct, this is a more affordable offering (again only available in Canada). The polyfoam would be a good density, but at 2.5 lb the memory foam would be below what I would normally like to see, and as such it is an item I would consider more if a lower price point was a main concern and you would be comfortable with the potential trade-off in durability.

Sorry again for the tardy reply.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
I was wondering about the kiss mattress. It seems suitable for all weight ranges but I am wondering if a 10" mattress (other then all latex) is really suitable for anyone around 225 and up?

Thanks

Ari, I wondered the same thing, as I have a higher BMI, but I am tending to think it might not work as well as a thicker mattress using the same quality of components. I am currently in a quandary about what to choose, so let me know if you make any headway with your choice!

One of the mattress review sites had mentioned it.

I am very likely going to order a sleepez latex mattress but every once in awhile something catches my eye but then I read the specs and say no lol

Hi Ari and Leesee,

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful, because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more detailed information about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be.

As for latex, the main benefit of a thicker latex mattress (or any mattress that uses similar materials) is that it can be more adaptable for heavier weights and multiple sleeping positions. It will compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more “range” of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body). A thicker mattress can also be part of a specific design that requires it such as some types of zoning or layering that needs more layers to accomplish the design goal of the mattress. It can even just be a matter of preference rather than “need”.

If you can imagine for example a 2" layer of latex (or any foam material) on the floor you would compress it to it’s maximum and feel much more of the floor (it goes from soft to maximum compressed firmness within the space of a 2" layer) but if you had the same softness of latex in a 6" layer on the floor … it would feel much softer and compress more gradually and to a lesser percentage of its overall thickness and wouldn’t reach the same level of firmness or “bottom out” (which means reaching the maximum level of compression or firmness that a layer or a mattress can effectively achieve).

In the large majority of cases … 8" - 9" of latex is easily enough to include the combination softer layers (or sometimes sections) for pressure relief and firmer layers for support that most people of average or even higher weights would need. In some cases, people that have much higher body weights or larger body types may choose more than the “average” thickness and may prefer the feel and extra adaptability of say 12" of latex. Thicker mattresses can also use firmer materials because thickness and softness are very related and work together. These are all good questions to ask the manufacturer or retailer of a mattress so they can discuss the differences between the different options they have available in terms that are more specific to the layers they use or options they provide.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you for weighing in (pun intended) on this. Earlier today I spoke with Greg of Arizona Mattress and he was fairly insistent that at my weight and with my low back pain that a twelve inch all latex configuration would give me the best outcome. Stefano at Luma was cautious about recommending all-latex due to the high price. He also thought the Luma with the 1.5 inch latex topper would be a good starting point for me. So I’m still confused. Two good companies, two different opinions. I did manage to test out briefly a few latex mattresses in person today, two of them hybrid models, one of them a Reverie with the Dream Foam cells, and one all-latex, and all of the beds immediately gave relief to my lower back. So I know I like latex now, but I don’t know which bed to try next.

Hi Phoenix,

The reason i asked about the 10" KISS was because most of the mattress review sites(which is where i started out before i met you all here :slight_smile: ) recommend 11" or more for heavier sleepers.

SleepEZ said 10 inch thick all latex for anyone under 275 was fine. I would love a 13 inch that i could load up with layers but I am short so I was happy they said I was good with 3 layers and a 10"

I have had 14 inch mattresses with a pillow top fail on me when i was 115 lbs LOL the bed business is crazy.

Honestly - before I got sick and gained all this weight I could sleep on anything. Or…mattresses were less complicated then :slight_smile:

My personal preference has always been a nice thick mattress but now i have been very happy with an 11" (height wise anyway LOL)

Hi Leesee

I know how you feel! its a hard choice!

Indeed!