Single Layer Latex Mattress Opinions (Noizzless)

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve been reading over your website for the last few weeks and it has been a great help on our search for a new mattress. I am leaning towards a latex mattress and have visited at all of the local retailers you recommended in your post for Edmonton, AB, Canada. We found a couple latex mattresses that seemed good at FDY Furniture:

Specifically, we were looking at 9000 series 6" or 8" mattress, either dunlop or talalay, we have not decided yet.

My main question is on the mattress construction, these mattresses are simply one type of latex for the entire thickness of the mattress. This seems a bit unusual to me. Typically mattresses have a support layer, comfort layer, etc of various materials. They also do not provide detailed information about the mattresses and no ILD rating. Do you foresee any issues from using only a single material for the entire thickness of the mattress? Any other comments on these mattresses or FDY furniture or Noizzless would also be appreciated.

We were also debating going down to 6" thickness. Do you think that thickness would be sufficient to provide support? My partner is 5’2" and 125lb usually a back sleeper, I am 5’11" 160lbs and change between side and back sleeping.

Thanks!

Hi Charles85,

[quote]Specifically, we were looking at 9000 series 6" or 8" mattress, either dunlop or talalay, we have not decided yet.

My main question is on the mattress construction, these mattresses are simply one type of latex for the entire thickness of the mattress. This seems a bit unusual to me. Typically mattresses have a support layer, comfort layer, etc of various materials. They also do not provide detailed information about the mattresses and no ILD rating. Do you foresee any issues from using only a single material for the entire thickness of the mattress? Any other comments on these mattresses or FDY furniture or Noizzless would also be appreciated.

We were also debating going down to 6" thickness. Do you think that thickness would be sufficient to provide support? My partner is 5’2" and 125lb usually a back sleeper, I am 5’11" 160lbs and change between side and back sleeping.[/quote]

If a mattress contains more than 6" of latex then there would be more than one layer of latex inside it because the thickest latex molds are only 6" thick. A 6" mattress may also contain more than one layer of latex if there are several layers with different firmness levels that are glued together. It’s not unusual at all for a mattress to only contain one type of latex in one or more layers and there are certainly some 6" mattresses that only contain a single layer of latex that can work well for some people.

The thickness of a mattress or the number of layers in a mattress isn’t particularly meaningful and thickness is more of a side effect of the design. There is more about mattress thickness in post #2 here but the only reliable way to know whether any mattress is thick enough for you is based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience.

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). For some people a mattress design that only has a single layer may be a great match for them in terms of PPP and for others a mattress that contains multiple layers may be the best match.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of quality, durability, and “value” regardless of their thickness or the number of layers inside them.

While there is no way for me to know whether any mattress will be “comfortable” or “supportive” for you … I can certainly speak to the quality or durability of the materials inside it. Outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label). Without knowing the specifics of all the layers and components in a mattress (see this page) it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the materials or the mattress as a whole or identify any potential weak links in a mattress but if a mattress only contains latex and/or meets the quality/durability guidelines here then there would be no weak links in the mattress regardless of it’s thickness or the number of layers and if you have confirmed that it’s also is a good match for you in terms of PPP and it compares well to any other mattresses you are considering based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering as a purchase.

Phoenix