Slatted platform bed

Hi,

I’m not very familiar with platform beds and latex mattresses at all, so I just had a question I hope someone can answer.

With a wood slatted platform bed and say a 9" latex mattress (3 3" layers) does it make the mattress feel firmer at all compared to say the mattress being on a carpet floor or on another kind of solid foundation or should it feel roughly the same?

Thanks!

Hi SimplySam,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground! :slight_smile:
Glad to have you here!

[quote] With a wood slatted platform bed and say a 9" latex mattress (3 3" layers) does it make the
mattress feel firmer at all compared to say the mattress being on a carpet floor or on another
kind of solid foundation or should it feel roughly the same?[/quote]

In general, there are 3 types of slatted bed bases: sprung (slats are curved and flexible), fixed (slats are straight and fixed) and adjustable (slats can be adjusted as desired) I am guessing that you are looking at a fixed slated network. They are slatted bed networks which allow for air circulation under the mattress, especially in hot climates, poor humidity regulation, and high humidity environments for most of the year.

A flat slatted base should be very firm and not flex or bend under the weight of the mattress or people sleeping on it as this would create some sagging that can cause your spine to be misaligned during sleep. Ideally the wood slatted base should have the same structural “solidity” as placing the mattress on the floor but with the advantage of the gaps/spaces that allow for ventilation. Slat spacing of 2"-3" should satisfy most any mattress company’s requirements but you should always check with your mattress manufacturer to ensure that you are not voiding the warranty. Most common slat widths are 3" - 6".

To prevent any sagging, it is important to make sure that these slats are reinforced. Some people choose to use a middle head-to-toe support beam upon which the slats rest which is also reinforced with support to the floor for bed sizes larger than twins. Others choose to reinforce each slat with something like a 3-5 T-slat system from one of our very knowledgeable Trusted Members Mattress to Go- Both systems can be used for reinforcements and ensuring that the foundation is sturdy and has no flex. The advantage of such systems is that they provide good airflow, while at the same time providing a firm and flat support surface.

Basilio