Sleep EZ comp of Ikea Morgongova

We’ve had the chance to try out the Ikea Morgongova and like the level of firmness and the general feeling of its latex. The potential of getting 100% natural latex for a similar price is appealing, and the best contender seems to be Sleep EZ. My question is which of the Sleep EZ natural latex mattresses is likely the best comp for the Morgongova, both in terms of thickness and in terms of the firmness of the layers. Also, is there another manufacturer at these price levels to consider?

One confounding variable is that the foundation for the Morgongova in the showroom was a boxspring, with springs, rather than a slat base.

For what it’s worth, we’re in DC.

Thanks very much!

Hi gaston,

Post #9 here has more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one but these types of comparisons can be difficult to make when you are comparing two mattresses that have different designs and use different types of latex because there are so many variables and subjective elements involved in any comparison.

If you are dealing with an online manufacturer that is familiar with the Ikea Morgongava then they would most likely to be able to tell you which of their mattresses or options would have the best chance of coming the closest on a flat non flexing foundation but as you mentioned the effect of a flexible box spring would add to the variables and be more “confounding” and almost impossible to predict because the differences between people in terms of their body type, sleeping positions, and individual preferences and sensitivity would mean that one person’s perceptions may be different from the next.

The tutorial post includes a link to the members here that sell online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex mattresses with a wide range of different designs, options, and features, and price ranges that include different types of latex as well.

I believe that the Ikea Morgongava uses 6" - 7" of continuous pour “mostly natural” Dunlop latex (the mattress it replaced used 7") with a wool quilted cover. I believe that the firmness of the latex is C3 (see post #70 here) but the ILD’s of Mountaintop latex may not be the best way to compare the softness of different types of latex. I should also mention that Spindle carries the 100% natural version of Mountaintop continuous pour Dunlop which may be similar.

If I had to guess (and it would only be a guess) I would say that a 6" Dunlop latex mattress that was approximately the same in terms of softness and also had a wool quilted cover would probably come the closest but again the only way to know for certain would be your own personal experience. A single 6" layer of 100% natural Dunlop that was also in a similar firmness range and had a wool quilted cover may also be a reasonable approximation. If you buy a component latex mattress with several layers where you can rearrange or exchange layers then you would also have the option of changing the firmness of the top or bottom layer after your purchase as well if your experience indicated that it was necessary.

Some of the lower budget latex and latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of are included in posts #3 and #4 here.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Washington, DC area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for sharing your insight, Phoenix. Brings the decision clearer into view.