Sleep Ez Stores (Los Angeles) - Royal Hotel Deluxe mattress? (not the online retailer)

Hello,
Sleep EZ (not the same as the AZ business selling latex beds) used to be a local store (with a few locations or so) around Los Angeles. Founded in the 60’s I think.

One of the Sleep EZ locations, in Koreatown, sold beds made by a local LA manufacturer, marketed as “Sleep EZ Hotel Royal Deluxe” (and perhaps others). The same model was sold to at least one local hotel in LA.

So…I am trying to track down the info. - if anyone knows - who made that mattress for the Sleep EZ shop, and if they’re still around, so I could order it. It was a very firm innerspring model.

Thank you.

Welcome, Xav244!
Could it have been Royal Pedic?
They make firm innerspring mattresses and are in the LA area.
Founded in the 40’s, so maybe not the same one.
Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Thank you. My understanding is that the mattress was basically Sleep EZ’s (the local Local Los angeles store) house brand. I believe they opened their first shop in 1963, and closed in the last few years. As far as that mattress I bought from them, it was made for them by a local manufacturer or by their own manufacturer in downtown LA. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Hi Xav244 and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Thanks @TheCleanBedroom for the link; you will likely have issues with your search, as in addition to the store no longer existing, hotel mattresses tend to be virtually impossible to replicate. They are usually manufactured specifically for that hotel, and finding out the specifications - layer heights, densities of foam, etc. will not be possible, even if you find out who made them for the hotel, as these are usually considered ‘proprietary information’. Have you tried asking the hotel that had these beds? It’s a long shot, but they perhaps know who made them, so you could ask the manufacturer directly. I wish you luck on your search, and possibly one of outer forum members has some ‘inside info’ as well!

~ Basilio

I agree and accept it’s, at best, a long shot at this point. To be clear, the Sleep EZ store (the Koreatown location) had the mattresses made for the hotel and anyone else who wanted one at a factory in LA (whether it was their own factory or some other, I don’t know). It’s also possible the factory has since closed too. I did try the hotel and they directed to me to that now-closed Sleep EZ store. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Hi Xav244,

No problem - sorry I couldn’t give you more info. Have you thought, for a long shot, posting to social media, or an app like NextDoor, in your area to see if you can possibly connect with someone in LA who bought that mattress?

~ Basilio

2 Likes

Hello,

May I ask where you experienced sleeping on this mattress? I have slept on it in two different rooms at the Brentwood Inn in Los Angeles. I tried to track it down over a year ago with no luck, but I am once again on the hunt after a recent stay at the hotel. It’s the one and only mattress I have ever found comfortable for my chronic back pain.

Thanks!

Hi Jennifer, In my case, it was years ago at the Travel Lodge in Santa Monica, The hotel is now under new ownership (SureStay on Pico). I’ve contacted them recently and they now use Serta. The manager is the same though, and he knows about the history of sourcing those Sleep EZ mattresses. Back then, I tracked down the mattress to Sleep EZ in Koreatown (not affiliated with the present day online latex mattress seller), and bought one. Sleep EZ supplied the mattress to Travel Lodge then, and also apparently to Brentwood Inn. I was hoping to replace it now, but the Sleep EZ Koreatown store has since closed (and so have the other locations). All I know is that Sleep EZ Koreatown had those mattresses made by a local manufacturer (in downtown LA, I think). The person who would have the info. would be the former manager/owner of the Sleep EZ Koreatown store, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to track him down. It was the store on W. Olympic: (213) 738-5000
Unfortunately I discarded the tags from the mattress years ago too - that might’ve provided the information as far as the local manufacturer (whoever actually made it for Sleep EZ). I’ve given up my search for now, but I’ll let you know if I find out anything more. Please let me know if you do as well

Thanks @Xav244 and @SleepyJennifer for the further info! This certainly seems like a real ‘mystery case’ - hope you can finally track down some answers!

~ Basilio

1 Like

I was thinking - the next time you stay there, take a look at (and take a photo of the mattress tag). I suspect it has the name and address of the actually mattress manufacturer. I vaguely recall, if I’m not mistaken, that it is (or was) in downtown Los Angeles. With that info., it might be possible to order an identical bespoke mattress.
The other avenue which is more complicated would be to figure out who the (former) manager/owner of the local Koreatown Sleep EZ store is. It’s possible that the hotel you stayed at has his name/business card as that would be who sold them those mattresses. That manager/owner may know how to order that mattress (if the manufacturer still exists).