Sleep EZ vs Latex Mattress Factory DIY

TL/DR: I’m looking at Sleep EZ & The Latex Mattress Factory. Prices are pretty similar. Is there any reason to go with one over the other? Then a few questions at the end.
Also, just in the spirit of transparency, I wanna let you know that this is basically a copy/paste of a Reddit ThreadReddit Thread that I made.
I made This Reddit Post a few days ago about a couple mattresses at The Original Mattress Factory.
After returning to the store, I feel that I like The Latex Mattressthe Latex mattress a bit more. The specs that I have for it are:

[ul][li] ?? on top/stitching[/li]
[li]1" of 3PCF (16-22 ILD) Talalay Latex[/li]
[li]2" of 3.25 PCF (21-27 ILD) Talalay Latex[/li]
[li]4" of 2.5 PCF (24-34 ILD) Polyurethane Foam[/li]
[li]2" of 3.25 PCF (21-27 ILD) Talalay Latex[/li]
[li]1" of 3PCF (16-22 ILD) Talalay Latex[/li]
[li]?? on top/stitching[/li][/ul]
(Note it’s flippable - hence the mirrored pattern above)
My biggest concerns at this point are both the price (~2100 for king) and OMF’s warranty/return policy. Because of this, I started looking at other Latex mattresses online for potentially better prices. I’m a bit worried that I can’t try them out in-person, but being I have the specs for the one I tried in-store, I feel I can make an informed decision.
The Build I’m Looking At:
I think I’ve narrowed it down to building one from either the Latex Mattress Factory or Sleep Ez. I like that I can do split layers if I want and I also like how I can replace a single layer if something were to happen down the line. With our sleeping patterns/sizes, the build I’m looking at now is:

[ul][li]Quilted Wool Top[/li]
[li]2-3" Talalay Latex - Split between Med (28 ILD) and Soft (19 ILD)[/li]
[li]3" Talalay Latex - Full sheet of Med (28 ILD)[/li]
[li]3" Dunlop Latex - Full sheet of Firm (38 ILD)[/li][/ul]
Note that this build is based on LMF, but would be similar at Sleep EZ.

This would give my side some more firmness than the one I tried in store. Being I’m a 6’4" 225lb stomach sleeper, that is nice. But it also gives my GF the softer side that she wants (side sleeper)
My Questions for you are:

[ul][li]Being the prices are about the same, would you recommend one company over the other?[/li]
[li]Do you see any issues with the build I specified?[/li]
[li]Sleep EZ recommends doing all layers as split layers. Would this be better?[/li]
[li]Do you think we’d notice if the top layers were different, rather than a single sheet?[/li]
[li]Many places use Dunlop as the bottom 2 layers (as opposed to me just doing the bottom 1 layer). Why would I choose 1 over the other for the bottom/middle layers[/li][/ul]
Thanks for any help!

Hello and thank you so much for the inquiry! The customer service standards and reputation are the same between the two companies, and the price would be different between the two companies. Both companies have a return policy that only allows one item to be returned per 12 month period, which means if you get the DIY mattress and want to return it, only one layer or one cover is eligible for return. However, SleepEZ doesn’t do exchanges for raw layers / components, whereas we do. So if you need to make the mattress softer for one or both sides of the mattress, you would exchange one layer within the first 30 days for a flat-rate $45 exchange fee if you get the mattress from us.
The layer configuration you’ve chosen is exactly what we’d recommend for your respective stats, so I think you’re in great shape in that regard!
For both us and Sleep EZ, about 95% of our mattress go out with all split layers from top to bottom, and we get zero complaints on being able to feel the split and we get zero complaints about the layers shifting or anything like that. If all of your layers are split, you will always be able to adjust your side without affecting your partner’s side and vice versa, and you’ll have that option for the entire 20 year lifespan of the mattress. Additionally, the mattress will be easier to assemble, easier to move if needed, easier to do any layers exchanges if needed, and easier to return if needed. There really are no downsides to having all split layers. Additionally, if you sleep on the mattress and your side is perfect but she wants her side to be firmer, the first change I would recommend would be to keep the soft Talalay on top but move the firm layer to the middle. This will retain all the contour and pressure relief she’s getting from the top layer but will offer much more support and a firmer feel because the firm layer is closer to the surface. If only the top layer is split this means your side would have to change as well.

We will recommend Talalay for two or more layers for customers that have things like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, or anything where they’re sensitive to pressure, or for customers that just prefer a bouncier / springier feel. Outside of those circumstances, a combination of Talalay and Dunlop is a more common setup and offers the best chance to be successful for the average person.

Thanks for the response!

A few follow-ons for you:

1. Just to confirm, it sounds like you’re saying we’d probably want the middle layer to be Dunlop as well?

2. When I look at your site (or really any site to order toppers), the price for a King is much less than buying 2 Twin XLs. If I wanted a 2" talalay topper for a king, it would run $322. However, if I were to split this, it would be 2x238=$476 for a layer.
    Does LMF have any solutions to help reduce that cost being we’re actually buying a king layer that’s split?
    The reason I ask this is that LMF comes out much cheaper if we did 3 king size layers. Then SEZ is much cheaper if we did all layers split (as they don’t charge extra when splitting). Somewhere in the middle it balances out obviously. I just wasn’t sure if I was missing something on the website.

3. I see some sites show “100% Natural Talalay” and “Blended Talaly” almost interchangeably. I’ve read that Blended is usually a more durable product, but I’m not entirely read-up on that subject. Which does LMF use, and is there a reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks again!

Our recommendation for your side would be Talalay for the top layer and Dunlop for the bottom two layers, but this is absolutely your mattress and however you’d like to order it is, of course, up to you.
If you’ll call one of our reps at 1-800-637-0872 we can work with you on the king vs. Twin XL pricing.

We use 100% natural Talalay which finishes at 98% natural rubber from an actual rubber tree. Sleep EZ carries both 100% natural Talalay and blended Talalay, and blended Talalay finishes at either 40% natural rubber or 30% natural rubber depending on the manufacturer.

Latex is a very durable product, whichever type you select. There is a minor difference in durability between natural Talalay and natural Dunlop, but that difference is, at most, a couple of years over what is normally a 20 year lifetime of the mattress. As such, I always recommend that customers make their decision based what they will be comfortable on for 20 years instead of being uncomfortable for 22 years.

The reasons to choose between blended Talalay and natural Talalay are generally as follows: blended Talalay is less expensive and a little more durable. 100% Natural Talalay has no man-made materials, and some customers just want to avoid man-made materials in their mattress. Both blended Talalay and 100% natural Talalay are Oeko-Tex certified to be perfectly safe for use in baby articles, no harmful chemicals or off-gassing, so both are equally safe. Your choice will just depend on your personal preferences.