Sleep On Latex 2'' soft mattress topper

I purchased one of these 2’’ soft toppers from SOL and they could not have been a nicer group of people. The topper was really comfortable - I didn’t want to get out of bed. The rub was that I was waking up with neck and shoulder pain that I didn’t have before so I returned it to SOL. It’s on a original Casper that is roughly 6 years old and I purchased it with the intention of softening the bed up a little. I am 5’9’’ / 140lbs and a back to side sleeper. Any help or recommendations is most appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Douglas,

Welcome to the TMU.

There is/was a lot going on here, but I will give a quick snapshot without going into a real technical, body profile, PPP explanation, which I suspect you will be offered by one of the other members.

If we just think about this logically (unless there is information notvyet known) by your own description, your casper mattress was and still is too firm after 6 years of service. If we put aside what’s been happening over the past 6 years and just address adding the topper

The first thing that comes to mind is the firm bed 6 the addition of 2 more inches to the surface of bed, by the topper. A significant move in a sleep system.

Shoulder and neck pain, but otherwise a fairly comfortable sleep.

Did you change your pillow? It would seem to reason when you move to your side when you sleep, your shoulders are now 2 inches higher away from the original surface of the mattress. That means your ear is 2 inches farther away from your previous pillow. Now your head is angling down when you sleep causing strain on your neach, shoulders and back muscles. Even if it seemed the pillow was lofty enough, it is still being asked to perform the same way itvdid previously but with your head 2 inches displaced.

I want to say have SoL send that topper back and get a better quality, higher loft pillow to keep your body in a similar alignment that was previously not causing the issue. Or add a second low loft pillow below the current one.

Granted, all other factors are unknown, other than what we know so far. You may have taken actions to neutralize the change in distance from the mattress surface, or there may be other possible physical conditions that may have changed. We could conclude that the softer topper may have come close to bottoming out in its job of softening the surface, thus increasing your sleep comfort, but that still doesn’t reduce the height difference enough to make it negligible.

We have had folks with a sag or depression as low as 1-1.5 inches and it causes back pain. So a small change on neck, shoulder angle and position coul, and likely, may have been the issue.

Thinking back on the experience now, how would you re-assess?

I am a big believer that a high percentage of upper body discomfort for sleepers result from poor pillow choices.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Think pillow,

Norm

Norman - thank you so much for the quick and thoughtful reply. Your logic does make a lot of sense. In the past, I have had neck and shoulder issues with sleeping on too “high” of a pillow with this same firmness of a mattress. Currently I’m sleeping on a very worn-in 4 year old Downlite PrimaLoft Down Alternative Pillow, medium density. It is quite compressed unless I wash and dry or really “fluff” it. At it’s current state, it’s approximately 1’‘-1.5’’ in thickness when compressed with my head on it. Would you have a pillow recommendation with all of this being said? Thank you very much -

1 Like

Oh boy! That, for me, is a loaded question. :exploding_head: see hereThe pillow, how important

The pillow, like the mattress feel, is really a subjective piece of the bedding system. But i am not one to shy away from my recommendation for a pillow. :rofl:

Although i am not a big Tempurpedic mattress fan, I am a TP pillow fan. I think their procloud series offers awesome comfort.

At 6’ 220, broader shoulders, i love the procloud hi, not too firm, not soft at all, but soft against the head and face. Great loft, but you head seems to sink the right amount, as if it was calculating the height needed using AI. You feel like your head is floating on a gentlly hugging supportive cloud. I like the hi, as it is gusseted.

I bought mine on the TP website bogo sale.

Having said that, i recently switched my 2 pillow perfect stack consusting of a TP soft and conforming as my bottom pillow and the TP Procloud Hi as the upper pillow. I recently replaced the procloud upper pillow, to a 100% horsehair filled pillow.

I cant recommend the horsehair for everyone. 1. its expensive and 2 it is a very different feel unlike any other pillow fill material.

The TP is a great pillow, i suggest amazon as they allow returns. Even though it comes drop shipped from TP.

There is a pillow called the majestic pillow, it is a contour pillow, that is height adjustable using individual sleeves. I have never tried it but
@Sweet_Dreams has this contour pillow with great success.

I would say the first try should go to the TP Procloud.

If you go down my list, there are some good ones. The malouf dough gel zoned pillow, the Brooklyn Bedding Shredded foam is also good.

I am on vacation right now using a down and feather pillow, not bad, just not enough support. But then again, the beautyrest mattress isnt helping sleeping comfort either :sleepy:

And as if not to confuse things enough. I created a new pillow that may be even better than my 100% horsehair pillow. Which i created using the extra horsehair i ordered from Italy (when i ordered the hh pillows) and combined it with the extra fill BB sent me with the shredded foam pillow. I created a 2 chamber pillow, one side hh the other bb foam, and inserted the chambers with bio sleep concept’s Iris pillow cover. It’s awesome. I am also nuts when it comes to pillows!

Long story short: Try the TP Procloud Hi.

Norm

Thanks so much Norm - and from replying from vacation, no less. Just looking at the TP on Amazon and noticing that the ProHi is designed for side sleepers. I typically sleep at least 1/3 of the night on my back before switching to a side. Do you think the ProMid coupled with the 2’’ soft SOL could be the ticket for me? Also, regarding toppers - do you have a preference or is the SOL also the ticket? Thank you

1 Like

I must say, even when i fall asleep on my back, the double stack with the procloud hi was comfortable for me. But i am 6’ 220, so i have more force going into the TP. The fact that it doesn’t “push back” like latex, and sinks as if it knows exactly how deep to hold my head in the right place, make me feel confident it may work. My one daughter 5’3 130 loves it and sleeps on her back. Whereas my other daughter 5’7 165ish loves the thicker and heavier TP Dual Breeze.

I would say give it a shot, you can always swap
If i am not mistaken they are both about a 6.5" loft. The mid is just softer so it will sink a bit quicker when you head rests on it.

The one benefit from choosing the mid, is that if you like the general feel, and if its too hi, you can go down one level. If not firm enough, go up one level. Used on Amazon, doesn’t always mean used, somtimes its just the damaged box it comes in. Just make sure it ships and sold by Amazon or ship’s from TP.

I happen to have a malouf topper Malouf CBD king topper. I recently flipped it to the active dough side as the MF side was gatting soft. Thinking about a Latex Mattress Factory 44ILD latex to keep it as firm as my plank luxe is originally. Or a 2 or 3" 100% wool topper. I only use a topper to add longevity to the mattress, not so much to change the feel. I know, strange, but thats a me thing.

I dont like to make too many changes at the same time, as it throws the control group off. You liked the 2" SoL, use it. Since you already sent it back, and you know you need the pillow, try the mid pillow 1st, just in case there is an outside chance, it was the pillow all along. Then, with the pillow, it becomes your new starting point for your control group.

I have a feeling it’s all going to come together. (I know, easy for me to say! It’s a me thing again) :joy:

Good luck!

haha! thanks Norman - do you think that if i order the pillow first it might not jive with the mattress i’m on - given that I’m on a firmer mattress already without a topper (casper original)? it seems like it might be hard to only move one variable at a time if one of those compenents doens’t jive with the other - ie tp midpro with the original casper without topper. any additional insight is appreciated. thank you

1 Like

Order the pillow 1st, it may just solve it. Because you already know what the topper can do!

If the pillow doesn’t solve it, re add the topper.