The Pillow: Just How Important is it?

The topic of Pillows and their importance to a good night’s sleep has not been a topic of discussion in quite a while. We all know that the selection of the right mattress is extremely important for a good night’s sleep. A good night’s sleep is not likely to be complete unless it has the assistance of a great pillow that matches the physical characteristics of the sleeper, firmness of the mattress and the position of the sleeper. Spinal alignment, resolving neck and shoulder soreness or issues are often the job of the Pillow, and is often overlooked during the mattress purchase. There are so many pillows out there today. The unlimited supply of materials and designs, gimmicks and conventional combinations make it difficult for a sleeper, particularly one who purchases a new mattress to get comfortable with their new bed.

Think of a pillow as a mattress for your head. It should be rotated, flipped, supportive, and the have the correct firmness and height for your body profile and mated to your mattress and sleeping style. Sinking mattress style(ve memory foam) = lower loft pillow. Firmer - sleep on top mattress = higher loft.

The pillow is 40-45% responsible for a comfortable sleep system.

I could start listing materials and designs, but that would take a month to compile, organize and categorize.

It would be and interesting general discussion from members, moderators and trusted members and Trusted Experts Talk To The Experts - Mattress Underground the approach they take on selecting, advising and the timing of when to purchase a new pillow. The pillow is essential for a good night’s sleep. The discussion, may include idividual physical limitations as it concerns sleep, such as degenerative conditions or things like effect of blue light, melatonin, circadian rhythms and how it relates to sleep, unless the pillow specifically has technology to address the issues.
Thanks, and look forward to everyone’s thoughts!

Choosing a pillow should not be an afterthought. The pillow in an integral part of the sleep system and a means for a healthy, restful, good night’s sleep. When choosing a pillow, one should have a sense of what type position sleeper you and your partner (if there is one) are. Are you a back sleeper, side sleeper, stomach sleeper or a combination of some or all of these types. People will find when they get a new mattress of a different firmness level from their previous mattress, that the first few nights of sleep can be a bit confusing. You tried something in a store or studied it on paper, and now your new mattress has arrived and your first few nights are uncomfortable. Certainly, some mattresses need to go through their break in period, the sleeper needs to go through their own break in period and more than likely, your pillow (even if previously new) may need to be changed due to the firmness of your new mattress system.

As a general guideline as everyone is different, side sleepers should be careful to check the height between their ear and surface of the mattress. Naturally the loft or height of the pillow will be determined by the broadness of the sleepers’ shoulders. As a side sleeper, I tend to go nearly half the thickness of the pillow higher in loft. Depending on the pillow material, you may find yourself sinking into the pillow about half way. So, to ensure your head and nose are level with the rest of your body, you may have to adjust your height accordingly. Many people simply measure the height from the mattress to the side of the head and get buy a pillow at that loft. This will cause an angling of the head when it depresses into the pillow and cause muscle strain, as it is the pillow that is supporting your head, not your shoulders. Just be certain to understand how your pillow works. It sounds funny to say that, but viscoelastic memory foam sinks and cuddles your head, latex tends to sink at first, then starts to push back against your head. Then there is the plethora of pillow fill materials, some sink, some are very firm and so on.

The back sleepers need to ensure that their pillow contours to the natural curve of your neck. Cervical pillows are nice for this, although they are super comfortable to sleep on, can keep you from snoring, feel supportive, they can sometimes be more difficult to maintain the exact sleep position throughout the night if you toss and turn a bit. Again, attention must be given to the material, as a general rule a firm or medium-firm pillow is preferred by most back sleepers.
Stomach sleepers can run into some issues if their pillow is not quite right. They want to be careful not to hyper extend their neck and strain their neck, shoulder and back muscles. Pillows that have a lower loft, medium to medium soft feel is the general consensus to allow your head to settle in without too much uplift to the head.

Of course, there are a variety of pillow shapes, sizes and contouring styles. They are the cut-out types for the side sleepers for a place for your shoulder to land. The butterfly looking cervical style to support the head and neck for back and the occasional side sleeper. There are even pillows with cutouts or holes where your ear/back of your head rests (depending on side or back sleeping). Any way you view it, the pillow is the critical component to support your head and neck while you sleep.
It is essential that some due diligence is done to understand the various materials, what they do, how they work and feel. One of the best places to start when shopping is to look at the law label. I feel like I do this all the time. You walk through Sam’s, Costco, private home store, the law label is the key to what is in the pillow. So many terms such as down alternative, poly fill, even memory foam, when printed on the box or pillow wrapping, doesn’t really tell you much. The law label will be more specific. 100% molded polyurethane foam, 100% Viscoelastic Polyurethane Foam, Latex, Natural Latex, Organic Latex, are just some names that are used and often hard to distinguish as they sometimes mean the same thing. All viscoelastic foam is polyurethane, but not all polyurethane is viscoelastic depending on the formula and the additives combined with the material. There are synthetic materials, natural materials, blends of both, synthetic versions of natural materials. Horse hair, alpaca, wool, buckwheat, solid materials, and shredded materials. Then there is equal sized cuts of the shredding, cross cut, little squares, interlocking pieces, hey wait, it’s lucky charms, :astonished:. I think if a manufacturer thought they could fill a pillow with aquarium sand, they would do it, and tout some benefit, as long as it was profitable. The main point is do a little research and have a sense of what you are buying, what material you are selecting, the pillow style and how it matches up with your PPP’s (I say the PPP is not just for mattress selection).

As mentioned, I could go on forever with materials, designs, fillings, and recommendations, but ultimately, it is up to the user to coordinate their mattress, pillow and materials for a comfortable, healthy, good night’s sleep.

Keep in mind too, the healthcare issues that coincide with a good night’s sleep. Various health conditions, and then there is caffeine, melatonin levels, and blue light levels given off by various electronics and natural sources, where you need to curb exposure, at least an hour before heading to sleep.

1 Like

Hi batmannorm.

Thanks for starting a thread about pillows. Pillows are, in my opinion, just as important as choosing the right mattress and, like mattresses, different sleeping positions require different loft, softness, support, etc. People also have varied preferences and support needs, and frequently upper back and neck pain is related to a poor fit of pillow!

I personally have a large collection of pillows that I sort of rotate through. Some are solid firm foam, some are shredded latex, some are gel…and even a body pillow!

I’ve even slept on buckwheat pillows. Not my favorite.

Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts on the pillow topic.

NikkiTMU

1 Like

So, I guess I will start by listing all the pillows I have. It is a reasonably long list, so I hope I am not boring.

1 Newly Custom Created - 2 Chamber Pillow Horsehair/LaNoodle Latex Noodles (3/2024)

( Employing the same technique as described below.) 2 Zippered 100% Cotton Pillow Liners. One liner filled with 1.75lbs of Blonde Horsehair from Italy, 2nd Liner filled with 2lbs of LaNoodle Natural Latex Noodles transferred from a pillow. Both liners inserted into a BioSleepConcept Iris Cotton Quilted Pillow cover.

This combination is even better than the one below that used Brooklyn Bedding’s deconstructed shredded foam fill.

The latex LaNoodles, renowned for their plushness, blend seamlessly with the supportive horsehair, offering a unique balance without the typical resistance (push back) associated with pure all latex pillows.

This new creation has thus far has provided unparalleled comfort and support, free from the discomfort of headaches or neck and shoulder pain.

1 Custom Created 2- Chamber Pillow Horsehair/Shredded Premium foam (most recently)

(used 2 zippered 100% cotton pillow liners, used some of the extra Blonde Horse Hair Fill in one liner and the extra fill Brooklyn Bedding sent (for the asking) after I bought their premium shredded foam pillow. Their stuffing is deconstructed latex and memory foam. Used that and filled another liner. Inserted that into a zippered Bio Sleep Concept Iris Cotton Pillow cover (you need this). This cover is awesome, masks any lumps or uneven spots that may occur from the shredding or the horsehair.

This combination is quite good. Like a mattress for your head. Once side cuddling and supportive, the other side firmer with a bit of bounce.

1 Queen Sized Blonde 100% Horsetail hair Pillow new September 2023

2 Tempur-pedic King Soft and Conforming

2 Tempur-pedic Contour Neck Pillows Plus 1 Original TP Neck Pillow from 1992/3

1 Tempur-pedic Dual Breeze Queen

1 Tempur-Pedic ProCloud Hi Queen

1 Tempur-Pedic ProCloud Mid Queen

1 Tempur-Pedic Symphony Standard

2 Enchante King 100% Wool Pillows

1 Malouf Gel Zoned Dough Queen Hi Loft

1 Brooklyn Bedding Premium Shredded Foam Pillow Queen

1 100% Natural Latex Talalay Pillow Queen

2 100% Natural Latex Dunlop Eluxury Standard Pillows

2 Brookstone Biosense Pillows

2 Pacific Coast Down/Feather Pillows

2 Serta Shredded Memory Foam Pillows

2 Cervical neck pillows, one with arm wings, one just the butterfly shape

several bamboo contour neck pillows and neck roll pillows.

I won’t even count the cheap polyfill pillows.

So, as you can see, I went a little crazy with the pillow thing. It took a while to settle on a combination that was comfortable for me. Which ended up with the TP King Soft and Conforming and the TP ProCloud Hi on top. My wife actually likes the TP King Soft and Conforming with the 100% Latex Talalay Pillow on top. I often swap and exchange pillows around to see if combination works better. I do like the Brooklyn Bedding Pillow and The Malouf Pillow. The TP Dual Breeze is a solid pillow too. But the TP S&C with the TP PC Hi is my favorite. There are still pillows I would like to try, but I just haven’t figured out which ones I want to try first. There are just so many out there. Kapok, Buckwheat Hull, Horsehair (I wish I kept my horsehair pillows from when was a kid, who knew you weren’t supposed to throw them out). I have found the 100% Talalay Latex too bouncy and pushes back to hard against my neck, The Malouf’s not bad, but when my head sinks into the pillow, it doesn’t stay stable throughout the night. The wool pillow compressed to the point of being too hard (I like firm, but it was a bit too much). The cervical pillows were actually really good. Kept my neck in position, kept me from snoring, they were just a little odd shaped and hard to keep my head center in the neck mold area. What I like about the TP ProCloud is that my head sinks into the pillow about half way down and it holds me in place and I feel like I am sleeping on a cloud. Funny that my head likes that feel, but my body likes an ultra-firm/laying on top of the mattress feel. I find that if the shredded foam pillows are not stuffed enough, they feel lumpy against my head. At 6’ 220 with broader shoulders, and mostly a side sleeper, I need the two-pillow stack to keep my head aligned with the rest of my body. I don’t like when my head is pushed up too much or droops down below my shoulder when on my side.

It’s no wonder that so many people have issues sleeping. Finding the right mattress is hard enough. Then finding the right pillow/s to go along with it can be a real challenge. If you don’t get it right, it can be a rough night’s sleep. Ok, I guess I have rambled on enough. Any thoughts (other than to tell me to shut up).

I would welcome any suggestions too. I have heard of micro coil pillows, and other unique things, but haven’t seen fit to see what they have to offer. So, if any of our Our Manufacturer Memberships :: The Mattress Underground have anything unique and different, I am always game to give it the old college try. That’s my pillow story, what say you?

I would like to add that all the pillows listed, I have used (for at least a short period of time). I have never received a pillow or mattress as part of any promotion, nor have I ever participated in one (although I am not opposed to it, hint hint :grinning:). I am an eye - health care professional and not an industry insider. I just happened to be passionate about the mattress, bedding and towel industry. Any evaluation (if you want to call it that) or review is purely my own unique opinion and experience. If anyone wants to get a sense of what I think about each pillow, or should there be any questions I would be happy to share my experience. My opinion is always transparent and un-bias. It is not my nature to be swayed by outside influences. It is more about my own experience with a particular product. I call them as I see and feel them. So if you have any questions about how any in my collection of pillows, feel or perform, I would be happy to discuss.

1 Like

I’ve tried many pillows over the years, but I doubt as extensive a list as you have! I’m a side and back sleeper and have struggled to find one pillow that works well for both positions without having to reshape or fluff it. While they’re not a TMU Trusted Member the one I’ve found that works best for me is the Majestic Pillow from Majestic Beds. It’s a cervical pillow but is far better than any other I’ve tried, it offers exceptional support whether I’m on my side or back. It keeps my neck in proper alignment so I no longer wake up with a stiff neck, I give it my highest recommendation. Of course the fact that it works so well for me is no guarantee it will perform similarly for anyone else. They’re sold without any trial period as is common for many pillows.

• Bill
3 Likes

Hey Bill,
That looks like a really nice pillow. Looks much more cushy than my budget cervical pillow (that actually worked well, but did not allow for much moving around). Would you describe the feel as more of a stiff pillow or more of the viscoelastic memory foam, sink in a little, feel. I have still been doing well with my TP Procloud Hi, but I was surfing around the net and ordered a horsetail hair pillow. Hopefully, it will arrive in a week or two. Your pillow looks to have some removable layers too. Do you use this pillow stacked on another pillow or solo? So happy you found a comfortable pillow, it is not as easy as one would think!
Norm

1 Like

I would love to try a horse hair pillow. I almost got a Lanoodle shredded latex, but shipping was $20.95, so I ordered a Sleep on Latex to try. Free shipping on Amazon with 30 day returns. I currently have My Pillow, plus many others from feathers to solid foam. I really wanted the down/feather pillow to work. It just doesn’t stay firm enough. My Pillow is a decent pillow, but it was washed many times and it’s time to try something different.

1 Like

I ordered mine from Italy, from a place who uses british horsehair. $45 shipping. Ouch, but I wanted to try one again. Since I have not had a horsehair pillow or mattress since I was a kid. Will let you know how it goes, when I get it! There were only a few places in the US that have them for over $300-$500 a piece.

1 Like

Hi Norm,

The Majestic Pillow isn’t stiff and has a bit of the memory foam feel but not a very slow response. It’s got a conforming softness but with enough support to eliminate stress on my neck. I’m a big guy with broad shoulders and it fills in above my shoulder perfectly when side sleeping to keep my neck aligned. I use the pillow on its own with the two thin blue foam layers included at the base. Good luck with the horsetail hair pillow, that should be interesting.

• Bill
2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll love it. I’ve seen them on US websites, but I think anything Italian made is good quality.

1 Like

Hey everyone, whoever has been following or just interested parties. :thinking: I received the first horsehair pillow at the end of September. My current favorite 2 pillow combination was a king tempurpedic soft and conforming as my base pillow and a tempurpedic ProCloud hi as the upper pillow and had been very happy and comfortable for quite some time. I have been itching to re-live my younger days, so to speak, (Prell shampoo, adidas superstars, puma clyde’s, wigwam socks {some I still have from 8th grade because they last that long! They kept moving from dresser to dresser every time I moved}) and now the horsehair pillows ( I stupidly got rid of my original ones in college as I did not know what the hell I was doing at the time). Anyway, enough nostalgia, as I know someone else’s memories are boring, like home videos.

I have been sleeping on the horsehair pillow for a couple of weeks now, and I must say, I sleep deep, comfortable, soundly, and any other synonymous adjective and adverb you want to throw in there. I can not explain if it is just my mind playing tricks or if it’s the power of my own persuasion. Or the fact that the actual pillow provides a more breathable, comfortable sleeping surface. Perhaps it is just that the pillow is so darn comfortable. My sleep has been “all that,” plus another step beyond. The pillow was so comfortable, I ordered and received another pillow. Plus, i ordered an extra 1kg of horsehair fill, as I wanted the pillow to have just a bit more loft. Of course, I overdid it and added too much, so I had to back off a bit to found the perfect loft for my side sleeping. I still use the tempurpedic king soft and conforming as the base of the two-pillow stack but will be experimenting with my king 100% wool pillow as the base to see if there is any major difference. I have a feeling that the firmer wool pillow will give a little more spring to the horsehair.
Horsehair is hard to describe. It is nothing like any other material fill. The horsehair is soft but firm and springy at the same time. It does not push back like latex, and it doesn’t sink like viscoelastic memory foam. It is not stiff or firm in the way a 100% polyurethane cervical pillow feels. It is not as fluffy as a down or compressing like a feather pillow either. It just feels great. I used the second pillow and made a T with my regular pillows and slept with the second pillow under my shoulder down to my lower back as if it were a topper. It just conforms and supports beautifully. It makes me want to get a king-sized horsehair mattress topper now.
Just the next step in the journey to the perfect night’s sleep.
How is everyone else doing with their new pillows if you have updated them recently?
All the best for a good night’s rest. :sleeping_bed:
Norm

2 Likes

Wow! You have more pillows than me. At one point I counted 14, but to be fair, 3 of them were leg raisers and knee triangles.

You mention that the pillow needs to be “mated to your mattress”. I find this is really important. I have neck problems, and can be very sensitive to pressure transferred through my neck. If the body moves, even a little, the head needs to be able to move along with the body. If it can’t move with the body, then it just pulls and pushes on the neck, which can cause pain to build up in some people (like me) making sleep impossible.

When I still had my 20 year old pillow top sealy posturpedic, my favorite pillow was buckwheat husks. This old mattress was very soft and springy and flexible. Then I got a seriously hard ((terrible brand I always hated)) mattress which is what I needed after some surgery. On this mattress, I could probably jump and not spill a glass of water on the other side, but the buckwheat pillow felt like it had my head in a vice grip. I guess the soft old mattress let the pillow move around, so my head was able to move a little when my body moved and pulled at it. But that didn’t happen with the hard ((terrible brand I always hated)) mattress. On the hard mattress, I ended up switching between the wool balls and shredded memory foam. By the way, both of these have zippers to adjust the mount of filling. I don’t like the heat and moisture properties of memory foam, and the wool is great with those. But the wool isn’t as flexible as shredded foam. I hate solid memory foam, but when shredded it seems to moves around nicely.

My wool pillow is filled with tiny wool balls. Most of the available wool pillows seem to be short strings. I imagine the strings are harder to arrange to fit your head, and might be harder to fluff up.

I’m hoping to be able to use the wool pillow more with my new latex mattress. Wool is nice and warm, without getting hot, and absorbs a lot of moisture without feeling wet. Sometimes I get hot and sweaty under my head and neck. With the wool pillow, the cotton pillowcase case is a little damp, but it’s okay otherwise. The other pillows are soaked, especially the shredded memory foam. If I sweat like this using the foam pillow it gets seriously wet even under my body, which doesn’t happen with the others. Also, the worse the pillow is at moisture, the more often this happens. Oddly, this occurs in phases. It was bad a couple years ago, but hasn’t happened once in over a year. I think it corresponds with times I’m in pain, such as when my neck first got hurt.

I love that you have a dual layer pillow. I’ve been thinking of making a pillow with a top layer of buckwheat and a bottom layer of shredded memory foam. I do fear it will be too high because I find the foam needs to be about 3" or more after it’s compressed to have enough sideways motion, so the total pillow height could be 5-6" or more at the lowest point. But I haven’t experimented much with the latex mattress yet.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know, my wife complains all the time about the pillow factory in the house. That is so funny that you had a Sealy Posturepedic pillowtop. When I moved into my new townhouse in 2011, I bought a fairly expensive Sealy Posturepedic Pillowtop Ultra Firm. Traded it in just over a year ago for a Brooklyn Bedding Plank Luxe. That was before I joined TMU. It is actually a very good mattress, probably BB best mattress, if you like firm.

My 2 king wool pillows are wool fill. It is not balls, or layers of batting, just fill like cotton fill, but wool. They are actually quite comfortable too, but when the pillow compresses down, it gets hard and sometimes will give me a headache. I need a two-pillow stack for when I sleep on my side most of the night. When I stacked the TempurPedic Procloud HI on top, it was actually pretty good. But the tempur pedic soft and conforming under the cloud combination worked better. People don’t realize the pillow/s are basically mattresses for your head. I have my upper (comfort layer pillow) and the bottom (support) pillow.

I bought some 100% cotton zippered liners to use for the “chambers” of the pillow and I use the BioSleepConcept for the pillow covers (only for my horsehair and horsehair 2 chamber creations) The BSC iris pillow covers are amazing in that it masks any lumps that might get created when filling the liners.

An interesting thing is, I use my laptop in bed and sit it on top of a pillow for extra height. When I put it on a TempurPedic pillow, the pillow gets hot in 10- 20 minutes due to the heat retention. When I sit it on a horsehair pillow, it is barely warm after hours of working on the laptop.

The horsehair pillows compress too, but it is different, they are a bit springy, not like the pushback you get from latex, but when you lift your head off of the pillow, it slowly pops back up. I am able to subconsciously, flip the 2-chamber pillow at night when I roll from my back to my side and wake up on my stomach. My best combination is still the TP base pillow with the all horsehair on top of it. I end up using the 3rd pillow (the 2 chamber) as an armrest when I am on my side.

I bought these pillow liner/protectors (it does not have any water-resistant lining) that are just plain breathable cotton with a zipper for the chamber filling ([Pillow Liner Zippered] (Amazon.com) They have worked well and I fill them about 2-2.5" thick for each chamber and it works great. I am waiting on a new latex fill to experiment for a new chamber.

The one thing that is rarely talked about, and you touched on it a bit, in your own way, is pillow position. I am finding that I have to have the pillow butt right up to my shoulders and under my neck (as if it is forming a seal from my shoulder to my head) to get perfectly comfortable. I used to lay just my head on the pillow with my neck having no support under it, and it would cause my head to angle up. Now that gives me a still neck. But when I pull the pillow tight under my neck and against my shoulders it feels very supportive and my head remains level with my body, and the stiff neck does not present itself any longer.

Good luck with your buckwheat and MF combination. If you use the zippered liners for your fillings, it will make it easier to keep changing the chambers around until you find the right combination.

All the best,
Norm

Those zippered things look better than what I had. so I’ll try some.

About pillow position… I’m a big fan of adjustables. I wrote this elsewhere some time ago, so I’ll just copy/paste. It’s almost an Ode To Buckwheat, but applies a little to any pillow that lets you move the stuffing around.

The sobokowa can be adjusted rather precisely. I can move a little away from my ear and it sort of locks in place when you put your weight on it. While it’s easy to adjust it roughly, and that might be enough, it can be a little work if you really want to micro-adjust it, which is something you can’t do with any other pillow. Now the stuff is fairly hard, but adjusted like this, it fits your face precisely, so it feels comfortable. Which is why you do want to move that bit away from you ear so it won’t get crushed. So it’s comfortable, until you move and then it’s hard and totally the wrong shape. It also “breathes” better than anything else. Finally, I can adjust it so it carries the weight of my head exactly as I want. A bit more under the ear to raise the bottom of my head in back… a little less under my temple to lower the front top of my head… and exactly how I want it supporting my neck. No other adjustable can do this. But… BIG BUT… the others are way more forgiving, so you don’t need to micro-adjust as much. Then again, you can’t get that precise balance. I like that balance because it takes all the pressure off my neck and back.

One thing to add is the shredded memory foam pillow is so flexible that in some ways my head has zero support… When I move, it can feel like my head’s getting sea sick rocking around, and even when I’m still, the weight of my head is supported but not stable. When my neck was bad, I could feel pressure on my neck struggling to keep my head balanced in a still position. But most of the time, it’s fine.

1 Like

I always had that same issue with having to keep my pillow stuffed under my neck. I used to think about inventing a pillow with sectioned compartments so the part that goes under your neck would stay under it. Maybe that already exists.

1 Like

Go for it! A simple start might be to fix a roll pillow at the front inside the same cover.

I have to take something I said back. Whatever was in my sobakawa pillow probably wasn’t buckwheat. It was filled with whole seeds, much thicker than any buckwheat pictures I can find, almost woody in texture, and was clearly cut to almost form a small spiral, making a sort of spring. This is how the shells locked into place so well. I can’t find anything remotely like this. Normal buckwheat shells, either the normal half pieces or the whole ones, don’t work as nicely.

I’ve tried to find out about the different varieties of buckwheat to see if there’s anything similar, but had no luck, at least related to their use in pillows or mattresses. It’s also not millet, hemp, bean sprout, spelt, or rice, all of which seem to have been used in pillows.

1 Like

Cheri,
Have you tried using a gusseted pillow? We’re testing out the Bedgear Performance pillows with wool case. The gusseted edge provides more fullness at the neck (2") whereas a tapered pillow disappears before the neck zone.

IME, Buckwheat hulls and millet hulls provide more fullness and comfort at the neck when stuffed inside 2" gusseted pillow protectors and cases.

Example of gusseted pillow case

Got some supplies and put together a standard size pillow with 1 cubic foot of shredded latex. That seems understuffed, but it’s the way to go to allow for shaping the pillow. It’s very soft and flexible, but keeps my head a lot more stable than shredded foam. It’s very easy to move the stuffing around to more or less rest my head exactly how I want, while also supporting my neck close to perfectly.

The shredded lates is almost as easy to precisely shape as my Japanese sobakawa-like (or whatever it was) pillow, and is almost as stable supporting my head. The softness allows good support under my neck without too much pressure on the neck. It does wobble a bit, but not nearly as much as shredded foam. The sideways wobbling helps to keep pressure off my neck when I move, but it doesn’t wobble around enough to cause my head to balance like a sea-saw while I’m resting, so it’s a lot more stable.

It’s cooler than the shredded foam, but not nearly as good as the Japanese pillow or the wool. I have a quilted wool/cotton cover (not sure if it’s the right size) which should help with heat. It helps a lot with the foam.

The latex is softer than the wool balls which do harden after a few minutes, and it’s similar to the shredded foam. However, the foam settles and shrinks after a minute or two making it difficult to arrange to a good height and shape, while the latex doesn’t do this much.

The sobakwa I got was half shells, and it’s like a bean bag. The shells won’t stay still. To me it’s useless for a pillow under my head because I need a pillow that takes and keeps a shape, angle, and height. It should work well for a knee pillow or a small neck roll.

1 Like

I got some whole buckwheat shells. They seem to more or less hold their shape in a pillow. Note that I understuff the pillow so there’s space to shape it and adjust the height buy shoving the stuffing into a pile smaller than the pillow, sort of making the pillow smaller north south east & west, but also taller. It’s prone to collapsing at the edge of the pile, like rockslides, but I find it’s possible to get it to stay if there’s enough pressure. For example, the first time I try to shape the stuffing, it might collapse at the front of my face, but if I push the stuffing back a couple of times to where there’s enough pressure under that part, it eventually stays. I doubt it lasts the night, but then nothing really does. Nor do I stay in exactly the same position most nights. It’s certainly worth further experimentation.

@Nosferatu
I have a buckwheat hull/wool combination, dual-chamber pillow in standard size. Bottom is hulls, topside is wool. I had a stabilizing issue in the beginning so I took it to my neighborhood seamstress. She leveled the pillow and stitched a seam through the middle of the pillow. Works like a charm and comforting to sleep on. It’s my summer pillow.

3 Likes

@Maverick When your wool pillow compresses, are you able to fluff it up? I’ve been using my wool pillow for 3+ years and it is still so comfortable! It’s adjustable, so when it compresses, I have 3 ways I remedy it.

1. I open the pillow and pull apart the wool that is inside
  2. I put it out in the sun
    I do these first two a couple of times a year to refresh the pillow
  3. In between my biannual refreshing times, I punch the pillow (vigorously!) and shake it down (also vigorously!) to redistribute the wool.
    I hope that helps. I love my wool pillow and am very happy with how long it has stayed comfortable.
1 Like