Sleep Science 9" King Latex GL on sale at Costco

Costco has the Sleep Science 9" King Latex GL on sale for $1699 through February 15th, 2015. It seems like a good value relative to other similar quality latex mattresses, even those sold directly. I tend to like a mattress on the firmer side and that is not the way it is described. Is this something that can be addressed with the slat base? Also, what would be a good source to buy a slat base to work with an existing frame?
I’d like to buy from Costco because of their excellent return policy.

Hi domtiger,

The Sleep Science Latex GL is significantly more than some other similar latex/polyfoam hybrid mattresses or some other latex mattresses that are available online that also have good return policies (although there may be some costs involved) and that have more extensive options to customize the firmness of the mattress after a purchase (by rearranging or exchanging layers instead of returning the complete mattress). Some of them are listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

They don’t list the density of the polyfoam support core but assuming that it meets the foam quality guidelines listed here then there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) and how to identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here and there is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

You can see more of my thoughts about buying from Costco in post #4 here. The only good thing about buying from them is that you get a free “roll of the dice” because of their return policy so you can try a mattress to see if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP with little risk (outside of the time spent trying and/or returning the mattress).

Softness and firmness is very subjective and relative and each person experiences it differently so a mattress that feels too firm for one person can feel too soft for someone else depending on their body type, sleeping positions, and preferences or sensitivity and what they are used to sleeping on in the past and are using as a reference point for soft or firm. It would be similar to “sweetness” or “saltiness” where a food that tastes too sweet or too salty for one person won’t be sweet enough or salty enough for someone else. The good news with a Costco purchase (or others that also have good exchange/return options available after a purchase) is that you can try the mattress in person to see how soft or firm it feels to you with little risk (regardless of how soft or firm it would feel for anyone else).

Most foam mattresses (including latex/polyfoam hybrids) generally do best with a firm non flexing support system but there are also some support systems that are available that have flexible slats that can soften up the “feel” of a mattress for some people (depending on the person and on the thickness of the mattress). Any base that has little to no flex will feel similar to any others that also have little to no flex. There is more about the different types of support systems and some good sources for each of them in the foundation post here.

Phoenix

So I read your reply and then did a lot more homework. I ended up going into Arizona Premium Mattresses here in Phoenix and talked with Ken. To say he is knowledgable and helpful is a big understatement. I’ve pretty much got it narrowed down to a talalay latex medium core with a 3" firm (32 ild I think) topper. The feel of latex is a little more springy than I’m accustomed. However, I’m starting to see the difference between pure feel and what is good support. I’ll probably pull the trigger on the purchase in the next week or so…just have to get my wife into the showroom and finalize. One hesitation is putting the firmer top layer over a softer core…is that unusual? It’s just what I thought would have the best fit for us and make the easiest transition given we are more accumstomed to. We are both relatively light people, me at 5’10" and 160 lbs.
I guess there is little risk since they will trade out for a different firmness in the first 60 days.

Hi domtiger,

As you know I share your thoughts about Ken and his knowledge and experience. I have had many hours of great conversations with him talking about latex, other mattress materials, and the industry and mattresses in general (and other “non related” topics as well because he is certainly passionate about many things!).

The medium core is actually 32 ILD so if you also have a 32 ILD comfort layer then they would be the same firmness. While it’s probably more common for people to choose comfort layers that are softer than the support core … the most important part of choosing a mattress is to choose the combination that is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of what may be best for anyone else and there are certainly others that would choose the combination you are considering. If two people will be sleeping on a mattress it’s also a good idea to test the mattress together (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post).

You are certainly looking in a great direction and you are fortunate to live in Phoenix :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi there,

My first post…but looking for some advice. I’ve done a tremendous amount of research on mattresses and I’m leaning towards a Latex mattress. Really appreciate the site and forum here as it has been extremely helpful.

My wife and I both went to the store and we really liked the Serta iComfort Savant Everfeel firm. We have a pillowtop now but are both looking for the firm support. The mattress we are comparing that with, is this one on the Costco website. http://www.costco.com/.product.945280.html

I’ve read all the posts about pros and cons of buying from costco. I’ve also researched some of the sites you recommend for latex mattresses and some are out of our price range for the true natural stuff.

Wondering if you have thoughts on the Costco mattress. It lays out the layers pretty well and the ILDs seem to add up to a good comfortable mattress. Also, it says GL in the title, but not sure if that is the quick or slow response.

My other option is just going back to Sleep Country and getting them to bring down the price of the iComfort as I do think it would be a good mattress.

Thanks!
Justin

Hi LatexQuest,

These are very different mattresses and aren’t really comparable and are about as different as two foam materials can be. The Serta iComfort Savant Everfeel is a memory foam mattress and the Sleep Science is a latex/polyfoam hybrid. There is more about the differences between memory foam and latex in post #2 here.

The mattress has 4" of latex on a polyfoam base. They don’t specify the density which I would want to know but assuming the density of the base layer is suitable then there would be no weak links in the mattress.

My biggest concern here would be with "value. The mattress by itself sells for $2199.99 which would be very costly for this type of mattress compared to other latex/polyfoam hybrid mattresses or even some all latex mattresses that are sold by some of the companies listed in posts #3 and #4 here. The Talalay GL would be fast response (they don’t make Talalay GL slow response any more).

When this mattress was on sale at $1699 I didn’t think it was in the best value range (see this topic) but at $2299 the “value” would be even worse compared to the other options you have available to you.

I would avoid the major brands and the bigger chain stores or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here). This would be a very risky purchase.

Hopefully you’ve had the chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which also includes two links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Thanks for the info. I’m definitely not big on the big box stores. I live up north of Seattle near Edmonds. I found a couple outlet places but any advice you have on places to go would be awesome.

I agree with you on the value of the Costco mattress. It’s what has me so hesitant in the first place because without seeing it or knowing the full details, hard to make a purchase that way.

I have read all the latex mattress buying guides and comparisons, we wanted to test out some mattresses which is why we started with memory foam since latex is harder to find. Any places you know of in my area?

Thanks again!

Hi LatexQuest,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Seattle area (subject to the “value” guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix!

Thanks for the links. Very helpful. I’ve done some looking locally and online and came to two options I’m looking at.

One is the Lady Americana sweda solna mattrress. Which there is nothing online about. The only place I found anything was on mattress depot site. I don’t want to buy from them as they quoted me 6500 which for mattress with some latex and unconfirmed poly foam seems like a lot. Here’s a link to it. http://www.mattressdepotusa.com/product/sweda-solna-11-matt-only/

I’ve also been looking at plushbeds.com and really like their 12 inch mattress. My wife and I both are side sleepers so we were thinking the medium firmness. It seems like a good deal under 6k with their 1k off sale right now but wanted your thoughts on the value.

Thanks as always for the insight.

Hi LatexQuest,

If you can find out the information listed here about this mattress and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole.

Latex of any type is certainly a durable material but it appears that there is some quilting in the cover and I would want to know the type and thickness of the quilting foam or material. If all the other materials are latex and there isn’t more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density materials in the mattress (you could check the law label to confirm whether there is any polyfoam in the matttress) then there would be no weak links in the mattress but I would still want to know the type and blend of the latex to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

I’m also not clear about the price you mentioned because it’s very different from the price listed on their site which is much lower.

You can see my thoughts about Plushbeds in post #2 here. I would keep in mind that their “sale” prices are always in effect so this would be their “regular” price not a “sale” price (see post #9 here) and I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other options that are available to you.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Ok one last entry as we’ve got it down to three. Read what you said about plush beds and I think they are my third option. The other two are buying a latex pure bliss from 6 day mattress in Redmond per your recommendation. If we go worlds best bed which I think may be too soft we be at 3400 or so. Vs the astrabed which would be either 3998 for the 13 inch or 3098 for their 10 inch. One is Dunlop and the other talaylay. But wondering your thoughts on each.

My goal is to buy the mattress and pay for that with cash and then finance the adjustable bed somewhere. That’s at least the direction I’m heading. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi LatexQuest,

Just for the sake of clarification … 6 Day Mattress is one of the better “possibilities” in the Seattle area but not a specific recommendation. Pure Latex Bliss mattresses have MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) and there are some dealers that sell them for this but dealers are allowed to sell for less as long as they don’t advertise it and they are certainly available for less than their suggested retail prices. If you do decide on one of their mattresses there are some PLB dealers that will ship across the country listed in post #32 here that you can call to use as a pricing reference point and if you do decide to make some pricing comparisons I would start by giving Jeff a call at Matt-To-Go who is one of the members of this site.

There are some comments about Astrabeds and some of their sister companies in post #2 here and in post #3 here and a forum search on Astrabeds (you can just click this) will bring up more information about them as well. They have recently introduced a new latex lineup that uses organic Dunlop latex and you can see some comments about them in posts #6 and #7 here).

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is a preference choice not a “better/worse” choice and you can read more about the differences between them in post #7 here but the most reliable way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

While both Astrabeds and Plushbeds use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them … I would be cautious about only considering the most heavily advertised manufacturers and make sure you make some careful “value” comparisons because there may be some better value options available to you among the list of of online component latex mattress manufacturers that also make similar mattresses that are linked in the tutorial post (in the optional online step).

Phoenix