SleepEZ cover too tight?

Has anyone found that the cover on their SleepEZ is very tight, and might be compressing the latex too much?

Our bed feels perfect uncovered, and then when the cover gets zipped up, the bed is extremely firm and not how we like it. I will call them tomorrow to discuss this possibility, but I’m wondering if anyone else has run in to this.

I really want to love my bed, but its not quite there yet!

Yes it seems that way to me too. It might be the thickness of the cover and then also the mattress protector.
If mine seems like it is too firm after awhile I may try a soft layer on the top.

Ok, good to know were not the only ones experiencing this. Last night we slept with the cover unzipped and the bed felt perfect. We both have soft as a top layer already. Shaun said they do not warranty extra soft as it wears down too quickly.

I will call today and report back on what thehy had to say. When we first set up the cover, it seemed to be 6 inches too short all the way around.

I know the mattress case has to be tight to hold the layers in place.
My concern is also the thickness of the mattress case. Plus you add your mattress protector and sheets which makes it even
thicker between you and the latex.

I didn’t know that had an “extra soft” also.

I called Shaun and he said give it at least 30 days for the mattress cover to stretch out to where it needs to be. He said to alleviate the feeling that the mattress is too firm, unzip one side and you can sleep on it like that.

I told him that we left the whole thing unzipped and it felt great. He said in another month or so the mattress will feel that way normally. Yay!

Hi adriennej726 and jet757f,

All new covers will stretch over the first few weeks as the mattress goes through its initial break in period and foams soften and settle in and covers stretch and loosen to different degrees.

This is a completely “normal” experience for all new mattresses but I see that Shawn has already said the same thing so there’s little more I need to say :slight_smile:

I think that most of the members here that have purchased a similar or the same mattress will confirm how the initial softening period can make a difference.

Phoenix

Post #28 on this page might help.
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/denver-mattress-snowmass-softened-in-4-days

They mention walking on the bed for several minutes to stretch and soften it up.

Hi, I just recently joined this forum but have been lurking for close to a year when researching mattress.

Problem: I feel that my mattress cover/encasement that I bought for my all-latex mattress is too short for the latex and worry that it might damage the layers. Also, there is a weird smell coming from the mattress cover. Details are provided below.

Background: I am based in Canada and found an excellent and cheap supplier for dunlop latex cores. I have 4 Queen sized dunlop cores of 3" thickness, for a total of 12". So I was making a 12" mattress with 1 super soft, 1 soft, and 2 medium layers as the densities.

I needed a mattress encasement/cover with a zipper so I could put the latex layers inside of it to protect the latex from UV and any humidity…so I researched many, many options within Canada and US. (Note that the mattress cover was not bought from the same place I bought the latex layers…I got the latex layers from a Canadian manufacturer that directly imports from Arpico’s factory in Sri Lanka). I wanted an organic cotton quilted wool like the Obasan kind without the Obasan price. I settled on a mattress cover from Natura (their New Sensation cover) which I bought from a quebec based mattress retailer called Au Marche Du Lit. A picture of the cover is provided (Picture 1).

First issue is the size of the mattress cover/encasement. The problem I noticed is that the quilted mattress cover/encasement that I got was quite a bit shorter at the bottom seam than a queen size mattress size. Is that normal? A normal queen size is 80x60" and the top of the mattress cover with the quilting is 80x60", but the inside bottom part when you have the cover unzipped and when you measure from the inner seam shows that the cover is several inches shorter. I’ve taken pictures to show this (titled Picture 2, Picture 3, Picture 4). The length of the cover from the inside seam top to bottom is 76" and the inside seam from side to side is 57". This is several inches smaller than a queen size (80x60" on both sides). The pictures show the tape measure and while you cant see the other side of the tape measure, I wanted to show the tape measurement clearly so I needed to bring my camera closer so I had to cut off the other side of the seam but rest assured I measured from seam to seam.

Question 1) I wanted to know if this size difference with the bottom seam is cause for concern? Or are mattress covers/encasements routinely shorter at the bottom seam part? Because if its shorter at the seam, that means the latex layers won’t sit flush in the cover and indeed that is the case. With Picture 5 enclosed, you can see that the cover doesnt fall vertically straight down the sides…it sort of bows because of the latex layers being swished in.

Question 2) When I was trying to put the latex layers into the cover, due to the size of the seams being shorter than the queen size latex layers, I found the fit for the cover very tight and I fear that this could damage the latex? The latex was sort of crammed into the edges otherwise it wouldn’t have fit at all. I’ve taken a picture of the edges with Picture 6 and 7. I worry about this because I think the cover is too short/small. Please do let me know what you think?

Second Issue is the smell. When I purchased the mattress cover/encasement from Au Marche Du Lit, I thought this retailer was buying the cover directly from the manufacturer (Natura) for me. However, when I received the item, it came from a company called ZedBed which is a manufacturer of memory foam mattresses. I don’t know who this company is, and I did not expect to buy the item from another third party company. I worry when there’s too many links in the supply chain between the product and the manufacturer… I should tell you that I have a big sensitivity to the smell of memory foam and absolutely detest and hate the smell. I am really really hoping that my organic quilted mattress cover was not stored near or next to memory foam products where the smell could be absorbed into the cover. However, I noticed that the organic cotton/quilted wool mattress cover has a smell. I dont think its a latex smell because I know the smell of the latex cores and that rubber smell is very faint and different. The smell from the cover also doesn’t quite smell like memory foam either…but I dont know maybe I’m wrong cause I dont usually use memory foam products so it could smell like that.

Question 3) Do organic cotton quilted wool mattress covers have a smell associated with them? The smell isn’t super strong, but its not the rubber latex type of smell. I dont know if it would be the quilted wool having a smell…according to Natura’s product description for their New Sensation mattress it says they use Natura “GrowWool” which looks like a trademarked item but no idea what that is and how its processed. Any idea? And any thoughts regarding my question about smell?

https://https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/42795/Picture2.jpg
https://https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/42795/Picture3.jpg
https://https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/42795/Picture4.jpg
https://https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/42795/Picture7.jpg
https://https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/42795/Picture6.jpg

Hi ThiS,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thank you for the post and the useful detail and pictures you provided.

It is always a breath of fresh air when consumers do the research especially for DIY type of mattress projects. Yes, I noticed that you got the cover from a different supplier, and sometimes this can cause issues. Many of us at TMU are used with placing latex inside of topper and mattress covers, so having to press/waive and sometimes gently push the layers to fit is normal, also the cover usually stretches to some extent and the most adjustment will come from the fabric covering your mattress. This being said, with the measurements you provided I am not sure this explains your issue.

Generally speaking, mattress covers are not “several” inches shorter on the bottom seam part. Some mattress manufacturers may make it slightly shorter, but not as you see in your picture. This seems like it is simply not correct, have you contacted the maker of the cover? On another point, when companies sell layers and covers for DIY, many times the producer of the latex trims the latex so it would be 59.5 inches width and 79.5 inches length to better fit the finished cover. Also, you may wish to check the sizing of the latex.

Your biggest issue here is not really damaging the latex, of course being too tight compress the latex to a certain extent, but latex is one of the most durable foams in the market. As the cover stretches, the latex will be pushed and over time the fit usually gets better…generally speaking. The most common issue with covers being too tight is the fact that the mattress firms up more than people prefer.

Everything has some odor associated with it and some individuals are more sensitive than others. This is one of these subjective issues that is difficult to comment on, but it may be worthwhile checking the cover law tag… Where was the fabric manufactured? Given that the cover is from Zedbed, I am not sure if we are talking about the same cover used for the Natura product? This can confuse things, and the cover being made for memory foam mattresses and not a DIY latex (Memory and Poly foams typically break in much more than latex), It seems to me that the cover was designed for a different mattress type … to many different variables sometimes can add up and not render the desired result

Are you able to return the cover? The sizing alone makes it seem like it may be defective. And as you pointed out people can choose to use other materials in some of these license agreements.

Zedbed is a licensee of Natural World products and ZB is now owned by “Kingsdown Canada” Here is a PR Newswire article about this acquisition. Zedbed is a manufacturer of memory foam, so this fabric smell can be associated with memory foam, as ZB is vertically integrated.

I do think you should look at some of our trusted members and especially the ones focusing in DIY mattresses and see if you can replace the cover by any chance. Getting latex layers in any cover can be difficult, but “several inches” seems excessive to me.

Let us know if we can help in any other way.

Phoenix.

I have a Duxiana 101 bed that’s about 3 years old, and it started emitting a strong latex/rubber smell over the past six months.

I removed the St. Dormier cotton/wool mattress cover, thinking that that could be the source of the smell, and also aired out the base and the topper. However, the odor seems to be coming off the topper and top of the base (not the sides). It’s overpowering if the bedroom door has been closed.

Has anyone else ever had such an odor develop after having a Dux bed for several years? I don’t recall any rubber/latex smell when the bed was new.

Hello Jensen,

If it didn’t smell at the beginning, then you need to look for what has changed in your bedroom. Have there been any spills? Have you had any health changes. Pregnancy, for one, can severely heighten a sense of smell. Do you sweat throughout the night? It is possible that your own smell is mixing with the smell of the mattress.

Airing it out is a great idea. You also can spritz it with white vinegar to try to neutralize the smell. If it is wet from sweat or humidity, a fan on it while the case is open would dry it out. Just like spilled milk smells when it is wet, so all smells are heightened when wet. If it is dry, you will probably notice less smell.

Wool products can smell differently than each other depending on the soaps and/or chemicals used to process them.