Sleeping in the middle of a split latex mattress

I’ve started shopping for mattresses and this site has been a great resource! I’m considering latex and gel memory foam but leaning towards latex. I like the idea of being able to buy a latex mattress with split layers since I sleep on my side and want something softer but a future girlfriend may want something firmer. I’m single right now though :frowning: .

When it’s just me in bed, I usually sleep on one side still but if I do sleep in the middle, will the split pads cause any issues? I see SleepEZ and Flexus Comfort offer split layers - are there others I should check out? Budget=wise, I’d like to keep it under $2000 for a Queen.

On a related note with my actual mattress trials thus far, I went to Nest Bedding in Mountain View, CA and liked both the Bed-in-a-box and latex beds. Jeff was very helpful to answer my questions. I also stopped at California Mattresses (Campbell, CA) and Steve was also helpful.

Thanks!

Hey bud, you’re in my neck of the woods. Also go check out the Natural Mattress Store in Los Gatos. On they floor they have examples of split latex mattresses, and you can lay on them. You don’t feel the latex seam in the middle at all, but you can feel the difference in firmness on each side. I liked their Awareness mattress so much that I almost bought one. But, alas, after researching and reading a lot, I realized that either SleepEZ or Flexus (among others) would be providing me with the same quality at a substantially better price, and I ultimately went with Flexus where I stayed well under $2000 for a queen (they were still running the President’s Day pricing) including foundation.

Compare that to California Mattress’s Organicpediculous mattress at $5400. A little difficult to justify one might say…

Hi hapa_dude,

As LJGMDAD mentioned … you would be able to feel any difference between the firmness level on each side but not the actual “split” itself. There is more about split firmness mattresses in post #2 here.

The tutorial post includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of these sell latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex in a wide range of budgets and designs. Post #3 here also includes the ones that sell component latex mattresses and off the top of my head I believe that most if not all of them also offer split layers.

Phoenix

[quote=“LJGMDAD” post=50684]Hey bud, you’re in my neck of the woods. Also go check out the Natural Mattress Store in Los Gatos. On they floor they have examples of split latex mattresses, and you can lay on them. You don’t feel the latex seam in the middle at all, but you can feel the difference in firmness on each side. I liked their Awareness mattress so much that I almost bought one. But, alas, after researching and reading a lot, I realized that either SleepEZ or Flexus (among others) would be providing me with the same quality at a substantially better price, and I ultimately went with Flexus where I stayed well under $2000 for a queen (they were still running the President’s Day pricing) including foundation.

Compare that to California Mattress’s Organicpediculous mattress at $5400. A little difficult to justify one might say…[/quote]

Thanks for the info, LJGMDAD! What ultimately made you choose Flexus over SleepEZ? Did you go with entirely separate stacks or a full-width top layer (with split layers below) as Flexus shows on their website?

I’ll swing by Natural Mattress to check out the feel of the split.

[quote=“hapa_dude” post=50692][quote=“LJGMDAD”]
Hey bud, you’re in my neck of the woods. Also go check out the Natural Mattress Store in Los Gatos. On they floor they have examples of split latex mattresses, and you can lay on them. You don’t feel the latex seam in the middle at all, but you can feel the difference in firmness on each side. I liked their Awareness mattress so much that I almost bought one. But, alas, after researching and reading a lot, I realized that either SleepEZ or Flexus (among others) would be providing me with the same quality at a substantially better price, and I ultimately went with Flexus where I stayed well under $2000 for a queen (they were still running the President’s Day pricing) including foundation.

Compare that to California Mattress’s Organicpediculous mattress at $5400. A little difficult to justify one might say…
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, LJGMDAD! What ultimately made you choose Flexus over SleepEZ? Did you go with entirely separate stacks or a full-width top layer (with split layers below) as Flexus shows on their website?

I’ll swing by Natural Mattress to check out the feel of the split.
[/quote]

I think if you decide you want all Talalay, go with SleepEZ. If you want Dunlop under a Talalay comfort layer, then go with Flexus. SleepEZ charges the same for Talalay vs Dunlop, whereas Flexus is a couple hundred bucks lower when you mix the two. So, in my case, I liked the Awareness mattress at the Natural Mattress Store so much that I was sold on a Dunlop/Talalay combo. And I also determined that the ILD options at NMS closely/exactly matched those from Flexus. So at that point it was kind of a no-brainer for me. But I’m pretty sure you can’t go wrong either way. Oh, and BTW, the guy at SleepEZ said the Savvy Rest mattresses were a very close approximation of their mattresses and I did locate a Savvy Rest showroom in Carmel but never made it there to give 'em a try.

My mattress has a solid bottom layer, split middle layers, split top layers. The exact configuration of my mattress is in this post.

PS, I love this concept of buying a split mattress for a potential future girlfriend. That’s thinking ahead!!!