Sloping Room Creates the Feeling of an Uneven Mattress

I live in a house that is over 30 years old. Lying in bed, if I look at the ceiling line I can see that the ceiling is higher on the left side than on the right. I bought a new mattress that I am very happy with but I can feel that the left side of the mattress is higher than the right side. I have had the mattress for only a couple of weeks. I have been consciously sleeping on the left side, so that the mattress is wearing unevenly. My body sinks down lower on the left side and my left arm feels like it is resting higher on the mattress. I have come to the conclusion that this is due to the sloping room, not the mattress. How can this be remedied? I have an adjustable base. I recently had 3" legs put on it and I cannot adjust one side higher than the other.

I would try putting the bed in the down/flat position then using a level on the frame of the bed and put shims/casters under the legs until its level, both side to side and top to bottom. You may need to ask someone to help with this job as it may be awkward and heavy. I would do a little research to find out what would be the most stable caster to use with this frame. Where there’s a will there’s a way! Once you use the level you may find out its level, it may be an optical illusion.

I bought the adjustable base from Saatva. They are sending me a set of 4" and 5" replacement legs for FREE to see which ones work! I am sorry their mattresses didn’t work out for me because their customer service can’t be beat. I also ordered stackable shim wedges. I may have to get the shop that sold me my current mattress to come out and do the adjustments. I need someone who will be careful of the electrical components of the base.

If I find out it is an optical illusion the what else could be the problem? My old mattress of 30 years, plus 2 new ones I returned to Saatva and now this new one all felt lopsided. I can’t imagine it is the mattress.

Hi gregtames,

Glad you had a good customer service experience with Saatva; my suggestions would have been the same as @Jeannie …but the varied length legs sound like a much more secure and permanent fix. Let us know how it works out!

~ Basilio

I asked someone to help me. He said if the floor is uneven or sloping that the walls would be cracked. He did not even use a level on the base. I thought perhaps the mattress felt higher on one side because I never sit on the edge of the bed so had him rotate the mattress 180. The mattress still feels the same when I lie down in it and it is only 1 or 2 months old. Now what?

Hi gregtames,

Wow, that sounds very frustrating! Have you tried a level on the floor, and on top of the mattress as well? And the adjustable base? I have seen houses built with ’sloping’ floors with perfectly fine walls and foundation…the floor was firmly in place and had proper support - it had not settled, it was just built that way(!). At least by testing with a level you can see what’s happening. If it’s truly off level you can tell to what degree exactly, which should help with any ‘shimming’ or if you need slightly longer legs on one side of the adjustable base.

~ Basilio

I figured my brother-in-law was just being his know-it-all self. I do not have a level but when I get one I could place it on the top of the headboard. I doubt it would be off more than 2" but that can make a big difference and I have the replacement legs for that.

Exactly…or just on the floor around the mattress in case the building ‘settled’. Knowing the degree of any slop should allow you to adjust the leg heights where needed.

~ Basilio

I am not good at basic carpentry or knowing how to judge from the level how much higher the legs should be.

Hi gregtames,

Understood…but a level will indicate if and where your floor may be slanting; discerning the angle is a bit trickier, but knowing where it’s not level can give you an idea of which side needs to have raised legs. I lived in an apartment years ago that was 100 years old; solid as a rock but if you rolled a ball, not one rooms’ floor didn’t tilt one way or another!

~ Basilio

The only problem I can think of is the floor. I had the same problem with a 3o year old bed and two new mattresses I bought and returned before I bought my current one. The mattress itself has a level surface with no indentations or surface irregularities.

Hi gregtames,

My thoughts as well. While your brother-in-law is looking at it from a structural damage viewpoint, I’m thinking it may just be the floor is not totally level, which is where those additional legs will come in handy.

~ Basilio

I just bought the Sam’s base, which has legs that screw together. If your bases legs screw together, you could get some plastic or rubber shims/washers and unscrew the legs on the side that’s falling and shim till level.

Thanks for the suggestion Twistinturns! I think @gregtames solved his dilemma, but that’s a great idea for other forum members who may have a similar issue!

~ Basilio