So confused on what to order

My husband and I are in the endless round of mattress shopping. We originally thought we needed a hybrid mattress and ordered a luxury firm mattress. I have spent 40 nights in agony. The mattress is just too firm for me. After trying out mattresses again, I have found that I much prefer the feel of memory foam or soft latex mattresses. I am in love with one particular soft memory foam mattress but refuse to sell a kidney to afford it. That has led me to Sleep EZ. I am definitely interested in the all latex but don’t know what configuration. I like a soft, plushy, fall into a marshmallow feel. My husband and I are considering either a split king or two twin XLS because we have such differing sleeping styles. He would prefer the 13" mattress because he likes to sit on the bed to put on his socks.

Some stats about us:
I am 5’ 3" approx 150 and a side sleeper. I currently spend all night rotating because I can’t get comfortable.
My husband is 6’ about 190-195 and mostly a back sleeper. He occasionally sleeps on his side,

We are considering an adjustable base because I think zero g would help with some of the pain in my lower back (which is mostly due to the current firm mattress) so I may be forced to sleep on my back more.

I have no idea the difference between Talay and Dunlop so please help me with soft, med, firm AND materials!

Hello and thank you so much for the inquiry! Based on the information you’ve provided, I would absolutely recommend medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop for his side, and soft Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop for your side. The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3" of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

HOWEVER, for your side of the mattress (and this is only possible if you order it as two twin XL mattresses) I would DEFINITELY recommend ordering it as a 10" mattress with 3" topper. Having a top layer that is not encased with the rest of the mattress will allow that top layer enough spatial freedom to move upwards when you lay on it, making for a very plush and enveloping feel. This is what I recommend to customers that are used to pillow top mattresses, memory foam mattresses, or people that are looking for a softer or plusher mattress in general.