So, I think I've decided I'm not a fan of latex....

I’ve tried several options, that are thought of as being higher quality, but none seem to work.

I’m starting to think I’m just not a fan of the feel of latex as a comfort or top layer. Problem is, I know I don’t care for memory foam either.

What are the options to a traditional mattress with polyfoam; etc comfort layers that might actually last us more than a couple of years? I tend to love the “hotel” lines by the big S companies. Soft tops, with firm support.

All I really have around here in Raleigh, NC that offers quality products would be Original Mattress Factory. I’ve enjoyed time on the Orthopedic pillow top and eurotop, but am terrified of purchasing a mattress of this construction with the ever problematic craters that form!

Hi davo32683,

There’s nothing wrong with not liking either latex or memory foam. Regardless of the level of quality of componentry, if you don’t like the feel of a particular material, it doesn’t matter how good that material might be.

“Hotel mattresses” tend to be more basic versions of the retails products that many mattress companies offer (which isn’t a good thing). They tend to be firmer products using softer “top-of-bed” materials to create extra plushness. There’s a bit more about hotel mattresses in post #3 here.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Raleigh/Durham NC area are listed in post #6 here .

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones. I would also always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I hope that information helps you out. If you have specific questions about models you’re considering, I’ll do my best to provide feedback on those items for you.

Phoenix