So much research, wrong mattress, guidance?

I bought the Love & Sleep Medium mattress from Nest Bedding and it is a lot firmer than I anticipated. I was sleeping on a beautyrest pillowtop mattress but it developed a sag and was hurting my back, but my wife still loves it (the sag isn’t centered so she doesn’t feel it). We both loved the Tempur Pedic mattresses in store but ofc don’t want to spend that much…

So I’ve narrowed my search to the following 6 options:

[table dir=β€œltr” border=β€œ1” cellspacing=β€œ0” cellpadding=β€œ0”]
[tr]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Name"}”]Name[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Manufactuer"}”]Manufactuer[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Cover"}”]Cover[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Comort Layer"}”]Comort Layer[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Support Layer"}”]Support Layer[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Firmness"}”]Firmness[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Price"}”]Price[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Addable"}”]Addable[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Spindle"}”]Spindle[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"poly"}”]poly[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"2" 4lb memory foam, 2" 1.8 lbpolyfoam"}”]2" 4lb memory foam, 2" 1.8 lbpolyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"6" 2 lb polyfoam"}”]6" 2 lb polyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"single"}”]single[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":3,"3":500}”]500[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Best Mattress Ever"}”]Best Mattress Ever[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Brooklyn Bedding"}”]Brooklyn Bedding[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Cotton"}”]Cotton[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"4" 4lb latex alternative"}”]4" 4lb latex alternative[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"6" 1.8lb polyfoam"}”]6" 1.8lb polyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Soft, Med, Firm"}”]Soft, Med, Firm[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":3,"3":750}”]750[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Kiss Mattress"}”]Kiss Mattress[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"SleepEZ"}”]SleepEZ[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Poly zip"}”]Poly zip[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"1.5" latex, 1.5 4lb polyfoam"}”]1.5" latex, 1.5 4lb polyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"7" 2.0 lb polyfoam"}”]7" 2.0 lb polyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Plush, firm"}”]Plush, firm[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":3,"3":795}”]795[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Sedona Sleep"}”]Sedona Sleep[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Arizona Premium"}”]Arizona Premium[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Bamboo/poly"}”]Bamboo/poly[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"3" Latex"}”]3" Latex[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"7" 1.9lb polyfoam"}”]7" 1.9lb polyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Soft, Med, Firm"}”]Soft, Med, Firm[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":3,"3":870}”]870[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Oso"}”]Oso[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Oso"}”]Oso[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"knit"}”]knit[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"1.5" latex, 1.5’ polyfoam"}”]1.5" latex, 1.5’ polyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"6" 2lb polyfoam"}”]6" 2lb polyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"soft, firm"}”]soft, firm[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":3,"3":925}”]925[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Novosbed"}”]Novosbed[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"Novosbed"}”]Novosbed[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"knit, removable"}”]knit, removable[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"4" memory foam"}”]4" memory foam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"7" 1.8 lb polyfoam"}”]7" 1.8 lb polyfoam[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":2,"2":"soft, Med, Firm"}”]soft, Med, Firm[/td]
[td data-sheets-value=β€œ{"1":3,"3":1100}”]1100[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I’m looking for something that will be softer than the Medium Love&Sleep and won’t break the bank. Where should I start?

Hi dneal12,

I’m sorry your Love & Sleep Mattress is a bit firmer than your personal preference, but at least you did have the foresight to choose something with a god return policy.

As for choosing a mattress for you that would be β€œsofter”, it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first β€œrule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best β€œmatch” for you in terms of β€œcomfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will β€œfeel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or β€œtheory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I know you’ve been on the site for a few months now, but the mattress shopping tutorial here includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones, so refer back to that again if you have any other questions about going through the mattress selection process.

For the models you listed, all but one have a β€œplush” option which should be quite soft, but they use different materials in the uppers layers (latex, polyfoam, memory foam), so the type of softness will vary, and there would be no way for me to tell how you would perceive one versus the other. Your best guidance would be from a detailed phone call to the manufacturer and tell them what you had previously tested, and they should have a good idea how their product line would compare to the Love and Sleep and be best able to advise you as to which model in their line would feel softer. The options with latex on top will have a bit more buoyant feel, and the memory foam will allow you to sink in more deeply with less resistance. Which you prefer would be only determined through your own personal testing, so be sure to inquire about any potential return/exchange policies of any brand you’re considering before making a final purchase.

If you have more specific questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

Phoenix