So Thankful But Feeling Overwhelmed In Sweet Home Alabama!

We recently bought twin beds for our children, ages 4 and 6, and I decided to look online for mattresses. I googled “mattresses for kids” and was SHOCKED to find out about the toxic ingredients in them! I had NO IDEA! I started doing research and was so concerned about what I learned that I have put off purchasing for months now. I was discouraged about the price tag of organic mattresses because we can only afford about $150 each. I was so thankful to stumble across this site but after reading a few posts, I am feeling completely overwhelmed. I have decided to take about a week or two and read a little each day. If anyone is in or near Mobile, Alabama, I would love to know where you bought your mattress from. I found this site which can custom build a mattress and the twin size is only around $130. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi HairCandyKina,

Post #2 here has more information and guidelines about buying a mattress for a child and includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children that include some of the better options I’m aware of as well. It also includes a link to more information about “safe” materials…

As you probably know … your budget is very low and you won’t find the best quality materials in this budget range so once you have decided on the type of materials you are comfortable with having in your mattresses then your goal is to find a mattress that is both “safe enough” and is the best quality/value that is available in your budget range.

Outside of the mostly online options that are linked in the previous children’s topic … some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Mobile, AL area (subject to the quality/guidelines here) are listed in post #365 here.

I’m not familiar with Lee Street Mattress and they have only been in business for about 4 years but based on the information on their site and on their facebook page they would seem to fit the profile of the type of factory direct manufacturer that would be well worth including in your research.

I’ve added them to the Mobile/Pensacola list as well … and thanks for letting me know about them :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Still no luck and Lee Street mattress has gone out of business! The prices I’m seeing are just too high :cry:

Hi HairCandyKina,

That’s unfortunate … and I’ve removed them from the list.

Your budget range is very restrictive and it’s really not likely that you will find organic or even natural materials in your price range.

There are some very low budget latex mattresses here and here that would be suitable for children and may be worth considering but even these are higher than your budget range.

Phoenix

Thank you so much Phoenix! I think we could handle the $295. We budgeted for both mattresses and living room furniture but I think I would rather put the living room furniture on hold and get the mattresses now. We can just continue saving for the furniture. I will show my hubby and hopefully, he will be in agreement. I will report back! I’m feeling hopeful now!

Hi HairCandyKina,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Both of them are certainly high quality/value options and would be a good choice for children.

Phoenix