Sofa Bed Mattress

Now that we’ve bought a new mattress for ourselves, we need to address the guest room bed. I’d love to offer our guests “all-latex luxury” but that’s not in the budget right now. Our plan is to put the LazyBoy sofa bed in there, but the mattress isn’t comfortable at all. The fold-out frame is typical metal with wires stretched across, and the mattress is a 4" soft spring mattress. Even with a fairly thick, (but cheap) foam topper, you feel sags and hard ridges. Any recommendations for decent sofabed mattresses? Or the best way to “fix” this one? Maybe with either a better topper or some kind of base layer to lessen the bumps from the wire frame? Ideally the bed should still be able to fold up into a couch again, as we’re tight on storage space and don’t want to have to store a large bed layer.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Hi Sleep1,

I would replace the mattress itself and not try to fix it because they are just cheap low quaility coil mattresses which are just as big a problem as the metal bars underneath them. Adding a topper would only add the need to store it somewhere and you would probably be throwing good money after bad anyway. If you replace the mattress itself with something better you will probably eliminate or at least substantially reduce the feel of the bars (depending on the weight of the person) and you probably wouldn’t need a topper at all.

You can see some examples here of polyfoam, memory foam over polyfoam and latex over polyfoam sofabed mattresses (and their site here has the same pricing with a better return policy).

ADDED: Some of the better sources I’m aware of for sofabed, RV, or truck mattresses are listed in post #2 here.

If you did want the option for some extra “luxury” on top you could always have a 2" topper available as an add on for any guests that needed it but I would first replace the mattress.

Local foam shops could also put something very similar together and you would be in control of the quality of the foam you used…

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. That makes sense. I see SleepEZ has sofabed mattresses too, for a similar price. https://www.sleepez.com/sofabedmattress.htm The latex is just $375/queen and I’d probably opt for an upgrade to the wool cover to avoid the FRCs. Any thoughts? Also, would you recommend placing something over those supporting wires? To protect the mattress if nothing else. TYVM :kiss:

Hi Sleepy1,

I’d never noticed that on their site before (even though it’s right there in one of the links) … and I should have mentioned that many of the manufacturers here could probably build a sofabed mattress that was similar to the ones I linked.

They use a little more latex and also have a zip cover so I would think that it would be a great choice yes. With a polyfoam base and a good cover I probably wouldn’t worry about the wires in the sofa although a thick blanket would probably add a layer of protection to be on the safe side. They don’t mention a quilted wool cover upgrade but if they offer it (and they probably would) then I would choose it as well if my budget allowed it even though it will add to the cost.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Its amazing what you find in familiar places when you look for it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I slept in a motorhome on a Flexsteel hideabed with a hybrid air system and really liked it. I liked it so much that I bought one for the cabin. Lazyboy also makes one. I’d sure think that that you could retro one into your Lazyboy, otherwise the entire Flexteel unit was about $1200. Majestic Air 2

It’s a 3" “prison mattress” base with a 3" air chamber over the top and all inside a conventional mattress “bag” so it’s tough.

I tend to function just as well, maybe even better after sleeping on this than I do with my custom all latex unit although I spend less consecutive hours in bed at the cabin which could be a huge variable.

[quote=“TD-Max” post=14210]I slept in a motorhome on a Flexsteel hideabed with a hybrid air system and really liked it. I liked it so much that I bought one for the cabin. Lazyboy also makes one. I’d sure think that that you could retro one into your Lazyboy, otherwise the entire Flexteel unit was about $1200. Majestic Air 2

It’s a 3" “prison mattress” base with a 3" air chamber over the top and all inside a conventional mattress “bag” so it’s tough.

I tend to function just as well, maybe even better after sleeping on this than I do with my custom all latex unit although I spend less consecutive hours in bed at the cabin which could be a huge variable.
[/quote]

Hmm, that’s an interesting idea. Seriously, your latex bed isn’t that great? We absolutely LOVE ours…it’s heaven! :slight_smile: