soft mattress for 100lbs person, does it exist?

Hi lombmi,

You didn’t mention the size of the Luxi mattress you had (queen and kings are split, fulls and twins are not), so I wasn’t sure of your configuration.

Sounds good! Placing on the floor is the best way to check for dipping, which you already did.

Probably a good idea. Certain designs from particular companies may be for those specific ranges, and overall it is best to trust the advice from the manufacturer about the applicability of their products.

A 100 pound individual would not float on top of such a soft piece of Talalay, as that is a very plush material, and such a mass would definitely break through the surface tension. For example, if you were to lie down on a 2" layer of 14 ILD latex placed on the floor, you would compress it to its maximum in quite a few areas and feel much more of the floor (it goes from soft to maximum compressed firmness within the space of a 2" layer) but if you had the same softness of latex in a 6" layer on the floor … it would feel much softer and compress more gradually and to a lesser percentage of its overall thickness and wouldn’t reach the same level of firmness or “bottom out” (which means reaching the maximum level of compression or firmness that a layer or a mattress can effectively achieve). While I’m not there to witness your sleeping posture, and we may be “talking past each other” a bit with semantics, it would most likely be the layers underneath the 2" topper that are creating or at least largely contributing to the firmness that you don’t desire (assuming the latex topper layer you have is indeed 14 ILD).

If you are interesting in learning what they have to say, I would recommend a phone call. They are very knowledgeable and helpful and their softer zones can start at 19 ILD in the blended, plus everything is topped off with their very plush convoluted latex.

You can’t judge the comfort of a complete latex mattress by the comfort you felt using a single latex topper on top of another type of mattress. That can only be judged testing out an all-latex mattress in person, as all of the layers of a mattress work together to provide comfort.

You may be interested in this post I wrote a few years ago about someone trying to achieve “zero pressure”.

Phoenix