Solid Latex Vs several layers VERSION 2

Hi,

I created this separate thread because I did not want to hijack the very similar thread already open but my question is similar.

Firstly, love the site - it has been a wealth of information and I have been reading through the articles over the last few days and finally made a post.

I recently moved to New Zealand and we don’t have a wide range of options here but I am in the market for a new mattress and came across this site: http://www.futonz.co.nz/natural-latex-mattresses.html

they seem to be a local company which I always prefer. They provide several options but I am most interested in their latex mattress which is covered by wool… Most specifically I am looking at the middle of the range premium which they describe as being 100mm high density firm latex surrounded by 250gsm wool with a loft of 150mm.

I am used to traditional spring mattresses and have purchased a mattress in a box which was surprisingly good. these were very thick mattresses.

My concerns are:
-is the latex to thin? 100mm does not sound like much
-is the wrapping to little? 50mm does not seem like much

there are other options like their top of the range Seraphic mattress which has 3 latex layers which can be customized for softness. the total thickness of the Latex layer is 15cm or another option of 20cm. Having just moved we have a tight budget but would this type of customization be worth the extra money. Would it impact durability?

The 3rd option they present is layers of cotton, wool and latex and their own innovafibre (polyester):

I don’t have much knowledge but I was looking at the “latex core futon” with a 50mm latex core and layers of cotton and wool. Again it seems very thin so I am worried about comfort and durability.

Both my partner and I prefer firm mattresses so any firm option is good for us. I plan on visiting them this weekend but would be good to know what to look for and what questions to ask.

Would be very interested in your opinion…

Hi Gialandon,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you. Happy to have you here.

The Premium has a 10 cm (4") core of Dunlop latex. They say it is organic, but they don’t provide information if it is GOLS certified or not (not that this would make a difference in quality). They don’t list the density, but it is described as “firm”, which I generally would suspect it to be for an item like this (probably around 85-95kgM3). The cover is quilted to 250 gsm (7.4 Oz. yd2) of 100% Organic wool (Again they don’t list a certification on the page for this bed for the wool) which is on the border of what is commonly termed a “light/medium” layer of wool. Then there is a 400 gsm (11.8 Oz. yd2) beneath this mattress cover that surrounds the latex foam core. This is commonly termed a more “medium” layering of wool. The componentry used in this mattress certainly is of a higher quality and durability, and there would be no “weak links” in the mattress materials.

This overall thickness is a by-product of the mattress design, and I don’t know how compressed the wool layer is on this product. All wool will become a bit firmer as time goes on, and it does have unique characteristic of humidity and temperature regulation This definitely would be more of a “firmer” feeling mattress, but whether or not it would be comfortable enough for you would depend upon your own careful testing during your visit to the store.

The Seraphic would be more of a traditional “component style” mattress, with the ability to customize one or two top 5 cm (2") latex layers to fit your preference. Whether or not this would be worth the extra money would come down to your personal preference of the comfort that the mattress that you could achieve, as well as the value you place upon being able to customize the product as time goes on. This mattress may be a bit of a better choice for you if you sleep on your side or prefer a bit more plushness (which you don’t), but it can also be configured to be a bit more of a substantial firm feel than the Premium. I wouldn’t have concerns about durability with this product versus the Premium model.

This will be more of a traditional futon in feel. The cotton will have a different feel than the wool surrounding the Premium model. This will also have a bit of a firmer feel, but when you test it you may notice that it isn’t as “buoyant” feeling as the other two mattresses you mentioned earlier. You would probably notice a bit more of a set over time in this item than the other two mattresses you mentioned.

In the end, it will come down to your own testing when you visit this store, as all three of these products are quite different (although the Premium and the Seraphic are closer to each other than they are to the futon).

Good luck!

Phoenix

Brilliant advice Phoenix. Unfortunately I didn’t get the time to head our to the showroom but did receive the following feedback from the supplier:

Yes, our latex is Dunlop processed. It is GOLS certified.
We have a range of densities from very firm (95) to very soft (55).
In the Premium and Supreme the wool is already compressed under the cover, but you may notice a little compression over the years. It is fairly insignificant and you would be unlikely to notice it.
If it was ever a problem we would rejuvenate the mattress for up to 10 years at no cost.

So it does sound like a very good option and only slightly more expensive then a mattress in a box!

Hi Gialandon,

Thanks for your replying with that information!

[quote]I didn’t get the time to head our to the showroom but did receive the following feedback from the supplier:
Yes, our latex is Dunlop processed. It is GOLS certified[/quote]

This would make sense. Only Dunlop latex is currently GOLS certified, and it is nice to know that they are properly using the term “organic” as it relates to the GOLS certification for the Dunlop latex foam.

This would be the kgM3, so they range from 3.42 lb. to 5.9 lb in density. These different densities/softnesses would be more for the use in the Seraphic, their component style" mattress that has a wider range of options.

[quote]In the Premium and Supreme the wool is already compressed under the cover, but you may notice a little compression over the years. It is fairly insignificant and you would be unlikely to notice it.
If it was ever a problem we would rejuvenate the mattress for up to 10 years at no cost.[/quote]

It is nice that they already compress their wool to a certain degree in the layer under the covering so that the feel is more consistent, especially in a firmer feeling mattress, but it’s also a nice bit of service that they will “rejuvenate” the wool layer should you find it impressing or changing in feel too much for 10 years. That’s very good service.

I certainly will be interested to know of you opinion of these products when you try them, and to see if you tend to like a more “traditional” firm like the Premium, or a firm comfort that can be created through multiple layers in an item like the Seraphic.

Phoenix