Solutions for raising the bed

We very recently purchased a 10" Organic latex mattress a replacement for a Stearns & Foster.
We found that the bed is considerably lower than the previous bed.
I did take In account that it would be, but not to the extent that it is.
My wife is not happy about this and Bed Risers are out of the question.
Thinking about stacking 2 foundations or buying a new bed frame.
Anyone else have this issue and what did you do?

Hi Gunney, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

We very recently purchased a 10" Organic latex mattress a replacement for a Stearns & Foster.
We found that the bed is considerably lower than the previous bed.
I did take In account that it would be, but not to the extent that it is.
My wife is not happy about this and Bed Risers are out of the question

Once you become used to a certain height with your sleep system, any change, even an inch or two can be not only noticeable, but very disconcerting; I can certainly empathize with your wife! I know it’s not great when you have a brand new mattress but you both can’t enjoy it due to the height discrepancy.

Thinking about stacking 2 foundations or buying a new bed frame.

As you do not specify either which Stearns & Foster you are switching from, or the type of
Organic latex mattress you purchased, any
suggestions we make will therefore be only general. I would avoid ‘stacking foundations’
as depending on what exact type of foundation,
Incorrectly stacking two could cause issues with the support portion of your sleep system. Any
Platform approved by the manufacturer (so to avoid breaking any return or exchange warranties), that would raise the mattress to your wife’s desired height would be the obvious solution.

So that others may be able to jump in to share their own solutions, can you share the S&F specifications, and/or you and your wife’s ideal mattress height?

~ Basilio

Continuing the discussion from Solutions for raising the bed:

We purchased the SleepEZ 10" organic mattress.
We’re transitioning from a Stearns and Foster Luxe Estate where the foundation was was 9." Or 29" high.
My wife has in mind that the mattress should be 21-25" high.

Hi Gunney,

Thanks for the clarification! The S&F Lux Estate has a height of 14.5" (for the medium firm) to 16" (for the pillow top plush to firm). I see what your wife’s concern is…that’s quite a bit of difference. The problem is that adding any component to the ‘mattress structure’ on top of the foundation - like additional comfort or support layers - can radically alter the feel or support…and may affect the return/exchange warranty of your new @Sleep_EZ Mattress (also - congrats on the new Organic SleepEZ; you chose a great durable replacement!).

The frame you have looks very sturdy and in great condition, (thanks for the photo as well!) assuming you can’t adjust the height, unfortunately the best suggestion would be
to replace it with a new platform or frame that would mirror your wife’s height preference. You should check with @Sleep_EZ of course to make sure any foundation is approved for use with the Organic 10". Sorry, certainly don’t want to advise spending additional money for a new base, especially since yours looks to still be in great shape but without using risers, the only other option would be to acclimate to the lower sleep system height, which sounds like it’s not any option. Possibly other forum members have some solution I’m just not thinking of and can chime in here.

~ Basilio

1 Like